Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
I agree, and I think that's why this misogyny discussion is long-overdue in Australian society. Personally, I suffered from sexual harassment in high-school, involving explicit material and bullying and it affected my education. This was in the '90s. Luckily, I was able to do a bridging course and was able to go to uni in my thirties. But the impact of the misogynist abuse has stayed with me to this day, and I feel compassion and empathy towards anyone who is suffering in a similar way, and is afraid to speak out about their experience. I feel that a big part of the problem with misogyny in Australia is that women are threatened and intimidated so severely to 'ignore it and shut up.' Instead of making misogyny diappear, it has then been allowed to fester uncontrolled, to the point where we are at now, where it has 'gone feral.'

I think what has changed now, however, is that Australia is no longer the relatively isolated continent it once was - we are now part of a globalised culture, so women and men from overseas are now aware of what women here have been told to 'put up with' for years. Quite a few comments from men (like the UK citizen commenting on Dr Summers' speech), who have expressed their concern about the level of misogyny in Australia, are particularly heartening. I think it's important to expose misogny in Australia, using concrete examples, because clearly, ignoring it and being silenced is not going to make the problem go away. Like many of the people commenting said, in many ways, a lot of women in Australia are still battling the same misogynist attitudes that Dr Anne Summers illustrated in her ground-breaking book, 'Damned Whores and God's Police.'
I'm sorry you went through that.

I think that the events surrounding Jill Meagher's death and the public response afterwards is doing far more to push the message that women will no longer tolerate to feel unsafe in our own streets than any speeches in parliament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
I think we need to get to the heart of the matter and that is that Tony Abbott is a complete dick!

Im male and life long liberal supporter, but there is no way i could vote for him as our future prime minister.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM

141 posts, read 321,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I'm sorry you went through that.

I think that the events surrounding Jill Meagher's death and the public response afterwards is doing far more to push the message that women will no longer tolerate to feel unsafe in our own streets than any speeches in parliament.
I think the main thing is for women not to feel intimidated or threatened to 'ignore it and shut up' when it comes to misogny, whether it's through speeches or in marches. Like other social justice movements like the Civil Rights movement, it takes speeches, marches and stronger sexual harassment laws, etc, to actually help bring about change, regarding misogyny in Australian society.

Last edited by goldfrapp; 10-22-2012 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-22-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
I think the main thing is for women not to feel intimidated or threatened to 'ignore it and shut up' when it comes to misogny, whether it's through speeches or in marches. Like other social justice movements like the Civil Rights movement, it takes speeches, marches and stronger sexual harassment laws, etc, to actually help bring about change, regarding misogyny in Australian society.
Legally, women have rights. There are harassment laws. What needs to be done is to encourage women to speak up, and to have firmer application of said laws.

And we must acknowledge that some women abuse these laws. It happens.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think we need to get to the heart of the matter and that is that Tony Abbott is a complete dick!

Im male and life long liberal supporter, but there is no way i could vote for him as our future prime minister.
Lol! Agree - cringe that he is STILL leading on 2 party preferred.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Well he's gone and put his foot in his mouth today, in an interview on channel 7 he said the "Government" is not qualified to talk about parenting in regards to the baby bonus. Now that can only mean one thng he was referring to the Prime Minisiter and not the Gov. This man will never learn he has to go.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM

141 posts, read 321,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Legally, women have rights. There are harassment laws. What needs to be done is to encourage women to speak up, and to have firmer application of said laws.

And we must acknowledge that some women abuse these laws. It happens.
It's really important that women speak out about sexual harassment. In a lot of cases, women blame themselves for it and throw away evidence such as explicit material. They often feel ashamed and traumatised, making them want to quit school or work. They should be reassured that it's not their fault, and encouraged to keep evidence as proof of sexual harassment to help with their case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand