Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,825,632 times

Advertisements

Thought it'd be timely to talk about this since it's Oktoberfest and everything!

Apparently there are 811,540 German Australians in Australia!

This is similar to the number of Chinese Australians and Italian Australians (both about 850,000).

Yet I seem to encounter far fewer German Australians: mostly you can tell by last-names, although of course many would have married if they're women or be mixed with others but still identify as German. I hear SA and VIC have a lot more than here, but I still find it odd how they seem so uncommon.

There are hardly an German restaurants here, or much obvious German cultural influence. It seems most obvious in South Australia.

Last edited by Trimac20; 10-09-2012 at 04:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,954,888 times
Well a lot of German Australians have mixed and the people I know that do that admit that have German heritage also have heritage from other places such as Ireland and Scotland,etc. Australia after is a melting pot of people.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:14 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,339,200 times
The fact that there is a lot of German - sounding towns in SA says it all. I am one quarter German myself. On my recent visit to Germany (Berlin, Potsdam, Hamburg and Koln), I felt much more at home there than I did here. Berlin and Potsdam were the best cities to visit and it was amazing seeing sort of dolled-up houses as well as vegetation. Planning to go back there for six weeks next year :-)

Old 10-09-2012, 01:40 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,719,000 times
In South East Qld, esp just west of Brisbane there are a substantial German background population, with the Lutheran church quite prominent.
Culturally though they have been here a long time - numerous generations, so they are Australianised in many ways.
I have a great grandparent that was German - who died relatively young, so once again, no cultural ties.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,914,424 times
Melbourne has a German club in Windsor and they may still have one in Prahran i know because i used to visit it with friends. Germans are like the Brits. they integrate.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:21 PM

794 posts, read 1,403,652 times
Why would anyone hold onto the nationality of ancestors from five or six generations ago? Unless they were like your average city-data poster, and were absolutely obsessed with race.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,442,744 times
My Fathers mother was German, she died not long after i was born so i cant really remember her.

Ive never claimed any German Ancestry, i am an Aussie, nothing else. The Brisbane German club is right next to the Gabba, i have never being to it however.

Interestingly Shane Warnes mother is German, maybe we should be looking to Germany to find out next champion leg spinner?

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,831,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Unless they were like your average city-data poster, and were absolutely obsessed with race.
I agree. Just look at this race thread. Disgusting!

Seriously though, I don't know about the rest of you but I barely ever see race being discussed in Australia. I'm not sure why the OP is constantly creating race threads.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM

4,434 posts, read 6,954,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I agree. Just look at this race thread. Disgusting!

Seriously though, I don't know about the rest of you but I barely ever see race being discussed in Australia. I'm not sure why the OP is constantly creating race threads.
There is a site if people want to constantly discuss race, and everyone on that site always discusses race related topics. It is Stormfront - White Nationalist Community

Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,245,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thought it'd be timely to talk about this since it's Oktoberfest and everything!

Apparently there are 811,540 German Australians in Australia!

This is similar to the number of Chinese Australians and Italian Australians (both about 850,000).

Yet I seem to encounter far fewer German Australians: mostly you can tell by last-names, although of course many would have married if they're women or be mixed with others but still identify as German. I hear SA and VIC have a lot more than here, but I still find it odd how they seem so uncommon.

There are hardly an German restaurants here, or much obvious German cultural influence. It seems most obvious in South Australia.
My father was German-Austrian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand