Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfrapp View Post
That's not my attitude towards Asian women from Bali, Thailand, etc. But a lot of Australian men have this reputation of having this attitude overseas, especially regarding 'sex tours' of third world Asian countries.
And the generalisations keep on coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 PM

141 posts, read 321,266 times
Here is another article about how a lot of Australian men are going on 'sex tours' to third world Asian countries like Indonesia and Thailand: Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 PM

Thanks to those who have given me reps! Much appreciated!

Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Here is another article about how a lot of Australian men are going on 'sex tours' to third world Asian countries like Indonesia and Thailand: Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
How about you define "a lot". There's 10 million men in Australia, so how many of us are going on these sex tours?

I'd like you to also define "a lot" in the context of this post...

Quote:
But a lot of Australian men have this reputation of having this attitude overseas, especially regarding 'sex tours' of third world Asian countries.
I won't be holding my breath waiting.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
How about you define "a lot". There's 10 million men in Australia, so how many of us are going on these sex tours?

I'd like you to also define "a lot" in the context of this post...

I won't be holding my breath waiting.
According to this article, I would say it would be enough to create alarm in the Queensland Health department:

Sex tourism to Thailand and Indonesia driving rise in HIV cases | The Courier-Mail

Old 11-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
According to this article, I would say it would be enough to create alarm in the Queensland Health department:

Sex tourism to Thailand and Indonesia driving rise in HIV cases | The Courier-Mail
Forgive me if I take a headline in a tabloid with a grain of salt. You also make the assumption those going on sex tours are having intercourse with women exclusively, no doubt because exploitation of women is a far more heinous crime than exploitation of men. If there's a spike in the rate of HIV it's more likely they are having sex with men.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Forgive me if I take a headline in a tabloid with a grain of salt. You also make the assumption those going on sex tours are having intercourse with women exclusively, no doubt because exploitation of women is a far more heinous crime than exploitation of men. If there's a spike in the rate of HIV it's more likely they are having sex with men.
It was exactly the same article as in The Australian: Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

It was written by journalist Kate Kyriacou.

Last edited by goldfrapp; 11-10-2012 at 12:31 AM..

Old 11-10-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
It was exactly the same article as in The Australian: Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
My point remains the same. HIV rates have been rising since 2000, well before the mining boom.

The rise in HIV infection is well documented across Australia. The general theory is that gay men see it as a treatable condition, whereas previously they saw it as a deadly disease. The chances of a man becoming infected with HIV through ordinary intercourse with a female is, to put it bluntly, remote. To suggest that a small subsection of men who are traveling overseas to have sex with prostitutes is what is driving the increase is farcical.

Quote:
LAKE: What we do know is that we have seen a slight drop in condom use amongst gay men and to be clear, the increase we've seen is amongst gay men across Australia.

As you may know, HIV in Australia has pretty consistently been most prevalent amongst gay men, probably 80 per cent of the population and that continues.

There's some evidence that we are seeing in some of the larger states an increase in testing, which is always going to produce some more results, but I think principally, the reason we're concerned is that eight per cent is significant. We've had a period of trending around 1,000 and 1,100 is a big change. And the other thing that is really driving us and as you driven the Melbourne Declaration is the targets that were set at the United Nations in 2011. So the Australian government and all other governments signed up to some quite ambitious targets around access to treatments and around HIV infection, so we and they, we want to reduce HIV infection. We don't want to be seeing increases.

COCHRANE: And you say you know that you know what tools are needed to reduce infections and make those targets that were set last year. What are some of the tools that you think will work?

LAKE: Sure. So we've already got some pretty strong tools. Condoms are a fantastic tool and consistently we still know somewhere around 70 per cent of gay men use condoms nearly all the time. But 30 years into the epidemic, 30 years into any health campaign, you need some change. We think, we're very keen to look at increasing HIV testing and particularly making that easier. We're talking about a thing called rapid testing, which means that rather than going to your doctor, getting blood taken and then a week later, going back to your doctor to get a test, to get a result. A rapid test, you can get a result at the same time. It might be 20 minutes later. Some are down to three minutes. So what we're looking for is that to be available for use in Australia.
National plan to curb rising HIV infection in Australia | Connect Asia | ABC Radio Australia

Quote:
Head of the Kirby Institute's Surveillance and Evaluation Program for Public Health at the University of New South Wales, Associate Professor David Wilson, said he did not believe it was a chance increase that could be attributed to more people getting tested.

Assoc Prof Wilson said it was thought the figures had reached a plateau but instead they found a ``real rise'' in the number of cases, which was of concern.

The increase was among homosexual men and there was no real rise in heterosexual people last year, Assoc Prof Wilson said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226497432701

So your argument looks fairly hollow.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:18 AM

Here is a research report about sex trafficking, prostitution and sex tours: Australia - Facts on Trafficking and Prostitution

Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 AM

In the article, 'Sex Tourism to Thailand and Indonesia driving rise in HIV cases,' May 21, 2012, it says: 'Drunken lads' holidays in Thailand and Indonesia, involving unprotected sex with prostitutes, are boosting Queensland's HIV rate...In 2010, Queensland recorded its highest number of new HIV cases - with 206 people diagnosed - and the numbers are climbing. And while cases continue to involve gay men, the numbers of heterosexuals contracting HIV is increasing. Australian Medical Association Queensland president Dr Richard Kidd: 'Young men, isolated from their families, earning lots of money -.and whether they are going to Thailand and having sex with prostitutes or whether prostitutes are coming in from other countries, the data doesn't quite tell us. But they are both legitimate concerns.'

He said Thailand and Papua New Guinea had the highest rate of HIV per head of population, with 1300 out of every 100,000 people diagnosed with the disease in Thailand and 900 per 100,000 in PNG.

'I would want to get that message out again about safe sex - I don't know how much young men are aware that Thailand is the HIV capital of the world.'

Health Minister Lawrence Springborg said annual rates of HIV diagnosis had doubled in the past decade from 2.7 per 100,000 population in 2000, to 5.4 in 2010. Mr Springborg said these rates - the highest in Queensland since records began in 1984, represented an alarming failure in public health policy.'

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Last edited by goldfrapp; 11-10-2012 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand