Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I have only met a few Australians in my lifetime (one lived next to me for years) and I never got the impression that you guys are uptight...based on the ones I have met.

I am a tad bit surprised to read so many comments about Australians being generally uptight.

Iv'e never met an Aussie I did not like
nah yeah, we're usually alright

Some can be uptight, but that's the case with every country.

About the people complaining about the cricket team, that's 'tall-poppy syndrome' - probably the most annoying thing ever. It means you don't like a person or a group of people who have achieved great things, specifically more than you, and you try to cut them down because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 03:37 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,995,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post

About the people complaining about the cricket team, that's 'tall-poppy syndrome' - probably the most annoying thing ever. It means you don't like a person or a group of people who have achieved great things, specifically more than you, and you try to cut them down because of it.
You are correct there, but was not going to flame the other posters on that one.
It's the same with politicians, Aussies boo and jeer anyone that is in power - no matter what party they are from or who they support.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:

About the people complaining about the cricket team, that's 'tall-poppy syndrome'[/b] - probably the most annoying thing ever. It means you don't like a person or a group of people who have achieved great things, specifically more than you, and you try to cut them down because of it.
Not liking someone or something because they come off as a complete A*****e is not tall poppy syndrome. Tall poppy syndrome is a general hatred of talented or successful people.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
I think Australians don't like the FIJGAM types... It's not the success, it's when someone thinks theyre better than everyone else - that's when we feel the need to cut them down a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
You are correct there, but was not going to flame the other posters on that one.
It's the same with politicians, Aussies boo and jeer anyone that is in power - no matter what party they are from or who they support.
I still prefer this than the alternative

Old 04-03-2015, 08:42 PM

54 posts, read 106,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Overregulated. And it has made people less laid back.

The laid-back thing is fading, but more prevalent in lower-socio-economic groups.

Australians can be (and generally are) very uptight
Trimac-can I ask how you afford to live in Australia or what you do for work? Are you of means?

Only asking because I want to immigrate there.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalunit View Post
Trimac-can I ask how you afford to live in Australia or what you do for work? Are you of means?

Only asking because I want to immigrate there.
Lol...

What sort of work do you do? And what age bracket are you?

People of all sorts of "means" live in Australia.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Not liking someone or something because they come off as a complete A*****e is not tall poppy syndrome. Tall poppy syndrome is a general hatred of talented or successful people.
Yeah, I said that. How are the Aus cricket team *******s then? I've never seen anything to suggest it, probably apart from Warner and his banter.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:29 AM

411 posts, read 416,100 times
Quote:
Yeah, I said that. How are the Aus cricket team *******s then? I've never seen anything to suggest it, probably apart from Warner and his banter.
It's subjective. I bet that you only think the Australian cricket team are wonderful because they won. If they had lost you would probably join in the chorus of haters. That's conformity in a nutshell.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOnions View Post
It's subjective. I bet that you only think the Australian cricket team are wonderful because they won. If they had lost you would probably join in the chorus of haters. That's conformity in a nutshell.
Nope, I've always supported them, even in our few dark times. Just wondering how all of the players are horrible people.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:19 PM

6,038 posts, read 5,948,732 times
I agree with some of the earlier posters with regards to conformity. Rather amazingly so considering the size of the nation. A distrust and discomfort of difference rather pronounced in many sadly.
Adds up to an ever so slightly boring landscape in the social arena. At least rather predictable.

I personally have found English more often easier to engage at a casual level with more to say and differences more apparent and tolerant of eccentricity then Aussies in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand