Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 02:01 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Now, TVC, I know it looks like the tropics, but if you don't like the cold, I wouldn't suggest Tassia.

It can't be that cold...but I think for a Texan it would be

However some parts look quite cozy

Climate of Tasmania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayah View Post
tropical87: Yep, I already specified that I definitely didn't want too cold and why I already mentioned that Melbourne isn't really an option so people wouldn't suggest it. Immigrants don't bother me on the whole as long as they speak the native language of the country they've chosen to reside in (in this case, English)
I think you're better off staying in the US.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It can't be that cold...but I think for a Texan it would be

However some parts look quite cozy

Climate of Tasmania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I love the place. It really is the most magical place in Australia but warm it isn't.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:38 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
If the OP has already dismissed Melbourne for being too cold, there's no way she'd choose Tasmania which is cooler. Not to mention, there aren't nearly as many employment opportunities in Tasmania as the major cities in other states.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I love the place. It really is the most magical place in Australia but warm it isn't.
OK after I win the Power Ball I am going to build a beautiful log cabin style retreat with a nice fireplace so I can live in magic land comfortably.

The weather is almost identical to where I now live...which is cold for me since I am accustomed to Houston weather. But I adjust easily and wear appropriate layers since we have microclimates. I live in the warmest part of the Bay Area. It can be sunny and 78F (25.5C) and if I drive 20 miles north the temp drops 15-20 degrees.

Does Tass have microclimates?

Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 PM

200 posts, read 354,126 times
Newcastle area (Hunter Valley and Lake Maquarie region) NSW are nice areas to live. 2 hrs from Sydney airport. There is an airport in Newcastle too. Climate is temperate. Lovely beaches. Laid back community. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:49 AM

5 posts, read 15,802 times
Newcastle seems really nice, thx possum_magic. Temperature is good, and being that close to sydney, I'm sure the job market isn't that bad. Will definitely check into it.

And yeah, my sis lives in Tas and I know it's too cold for me. Anything below 10 celsius is pushing it for me. I don't mind a month or two of cold like that, but that's pretty much my limit.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:41 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,648 times
"OMG they don't have Walmart!"
"OMG they have immigrants speaking foreign languages like Florida!"
"OMG they don't have decent Mexican food!"
"OMG the real estate is so expensive!"
"OMG gas is so expensive!"
"OMG EVERYTHING is so expensive!"

"Honey, lets move back home".

Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
I think you're better off staying in the US.
Agreed. Australia changed quite a lot for the worse in the last 7 yrs

Old 12-18-2012, 12:54 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhayah View Post
Newcastle seems really nice, thx possum_magic. Temperature is good, and being that close to sydney, I'm sure the job market isn't that bad. Will definitely check into it.

And yeah, my sis lives in Tas and I know it's too cold for me. Anything below 10 celsius is pushing it for me. I don't mind a month or two of cold like that, but that's pretty much my limit.
Newcastle and the Hunter jobs are starting to dry up. Even though it is proximate to Sydney it does not benefit from the "Sydney" effect as much as other commuter towns on the Central Coast like Gosford, Bateau Bay, Avoca, etc. And even there cost of living is quite expensive when you compare to what you would be looking at in the States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand