Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM

6 posts, read 18,686 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm an accountant working in Dubai and considering moving to either Melbourne or Toronto. I'm basically interested in moving somewhere for the long-term where I would have good employment opportunities as well as a good quality of life, a diverse and vibrant city, a liberal populace, and easy for a foreigner (Asian) to integrate into. I've decided on Melbourne and Toronto since I've been wanting to move to either Canada or Australia for a while, and have a few friends in these two cities. I'm kind of undecided on which city to move to, considering the above mentioned factors. I'm a US CPA working in public accounting for a few years now, and would be looking for employment in the accounting/ finance field.

If someone could enlighten me as to which city would be a better option taking into account what I'm looking for it would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Both fit in the bill, so it would come down to whether you prefer Canada or Melbourne. The main differences, I would think, would include weather/climate (Toronto of course gets a much more severe winter), global location (Toronto is better for N.America and Europe, Melbourne for Asia). Melbourne has improved in leaps and bounds and is a global 'it' city, as is Toronto. Both offer the big city feel without being too overwhelming. Both are quite expensive globally speaking, but Melbourne can be surprisingly affordable. Which Asian country are you from? Both cities have large and diverse populations, including from Asia. Both also have large Italian populations, incidentally, but I think the Euro-feel is stronger in Melbourne.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 18,686 times
Ok. Thanks Trimac20....I'm Indian origin btw but lived outside India most of my life....which would you say offers better employment opportunities, specifically for accountants. That is one of my main concerns.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_dsz View Post
Ok. Thanks Trimac20....I'm Indian origin btw but lived outside India most of my life....which would you say offers better employment opportunities, specifically for accountants. That is one of my main concerns.
Sorry no idea about accountancy, both economies are doing quite well. Where have you lived most of your life, btw?

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 AM

23 posts, read 40,620 times
Melbourne has the big 4 plus a wide range of medium tier firms. And has many many small firms too. If you wanted to work in commerce, that's a bit dicey ATM given the GFC.

For an idea of salary, go to

SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

and work your way from there.

Australia has 2 main professional bodies:

1) CPA Australia
2) Institute of Chartered Accountants

Both are in competition with eachother for members, and both have tried to merge, but the members voted against it.

But in either case, you're required to do about 60 PD hours in a triennium.

The Australian accounting profession is considered one of the most stringent in the world, probably second only to the USA. They are hot on things like ethics, conflict of interest and governance. The Australian Accounting Standards Board is harmonising the Australian accounting standards with international standards so if you've ever had to apply international standards, the Australian standards shouldn't be too foreign to you.

As for Melbourne itself, nothing much to add that hasn't been already been stated elsewhere on this site. Great city, growing very quickly, in the midst of a population boom, very multicultural, plenty to see and do, pretty good lifestyle but has its issue with petty crime as most cities do.

Can't comment on Toronto as I've never been.

Good luck with your decision, either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand