U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,804,307 times

Advertisements

My gf and I are considering a 1+ year move to Australia to check it out. She is under 30, I am over 30... However she wants to use this opportunity before she turns 30. We have discussed getting married if need be for me to come over with her.

Has anybody done this before? We were considering cities of Sydney or Melbourne. We know somebody living in Melbourne that we could stay with.

How hard is it to find work say writing/publishing/media/journalistic or social service type jobs? I know there is a 6 month for one employer rule, but I'm sure there are contracts and such.
If the normal work involves something like min wage or working restaurants, neither of us would be interested as we are too far along with our careers for that.

I filled out a skilled assessment and it said I qualified for a work visa myself, a 190 and a 489.
We are both college educated and have several years of professional work experience, should we try to come over there by different means?

Last edited by grapico; 12-07-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Are you talking about a working holiday visa? If you are, then I don't think there is any allowance made for partners in that visa, regardless of whether you are married or de-facto.

You will need to apply for your own visa independently of her.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Are you talking about a working holiday visa? If you are, then I don't think there is any allowance made for partners in that visa, regardless of whether you are married or de-facto.

You will need to apply for your own visa independently of her.
Hmm that is interesting to know. So even if we were married and she wanted to go, she couldn't bring me with?

If not, would it help my own visa status if she got one

Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,017,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Hmm that is interesting to know. So even if we were married and she wanted to go, she couldn't bring me with?

If not, would it help my own visa status if she got one
I don't think so. The WHV is designed for young people to spend a year working and travelling. Bringing a spouse is a right given to migrant class visas, of which the WHV is not one.

I can't see why it would help your visa status. If you're applying for a migrant visa, that has a path to residency, they probably won't care too much that your gf/wife has a working holiday visa.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I don't think so. The WHV is designed for young people to spend a year working and travelling. Bringing a spouse is a right given to migrant class visas, of which the WHV is not one.

I can't see why it would help your visa status. If you're applying for a migrant visa, that has a path to residency, they probably won't care too much that your gf/wife has a working holiday visa.
Well what if we went a different route and one of us got an offer of an employment? Would it help position the other at that point?
Neither of us are planning on staying long term but would like to experience life there for possibly 1 year, to 4-5 years max.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand