Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times

Advertisements

How many black people live in Australia?

Where are the biggest population centres?

Do they get a hard time or do they fit in just fine?

How do they compare to black Europeans & N Americans different the same?

And the same thing for New Zealand

When i mean black people i'm talking about the Africans, Afro caribbeans and the black 'latinos'

I'm just really curious

So comment away!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/

Old 12-11-2012, 04:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Its the WORLD forum

Old 12-11-2012, 04:28 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,794 times
Would you not want australians and New zealanders to answer your question though??

Although i'm sure someone in Dusseldorf, germany or Cleveland, Ohio is very familiar and knowledgeable on the current status of black people in australia...

Old 12-11-2012, 05:15 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Very few blacks in Australia, we will never know the acutal number because Australia does not collect any data on the race and ethnicy of its population, just countries of birth. So a person of black african heritage born and raised in England would get classified as english etc etc.

Anyway the huge majority of non aborigional blacks living in Australia are refugees who were born and raised in the war torn countries of eastern africa. The government resettles the refugees quite evenly through the 5 major cities, although Melbourne and Perth may have recived more than the others.

Naturally its almost impossible to compare these people to African Americans, the huge majority of which were born raised and educated in the USA.

Its fair to say they have not fitted in all that well, these are former child soldiers and people with little or no formal education we are talking about. Hopefully it will improve when we start seeing a generation of locally born and educuated African/Australians comming through our shool systems.

As for other blacks, there are people from every nation on earth living in Australia, so you will find them, just not in any great numbers. Outside the refugees it would be reasonable to say the biggest black communites come from South Africa and England, although as stated we will never know exactly how many of them there are.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-11-2012 at 06:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
^ I wouldn't say huge majority. I'm noticing quite a lot of African immigrants from all over Africa. From black S. Africans to Zambians, Nigerians, Kenyans (these are some I've met). Some are professionals, academics.etc, in fact my psychologist was from Liberia.

I started a thread on 'African Australians.' I already hear some young African kids with Aussie accents and playing AFL so it won't be long before we see a black Australian community like say the blacks in the UK.

Also it does annoy me when people use black as an umbrella term for dark-skinned people. Obviously, aborigines or Melanesians are not related to Africans anymore than we are.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 22,642 times
@trimac20 Blacks are not just from Africa, yes dark skinned like aboriginals can be classed as such, I am Caribbean black...not african. Black is ur skin not the country ur from or a nationality.
Damn I have see. Indians blacker than Africans lol

Old 07-16-2014, 11:09 AM

566 posts, read 503,856 times
Arent Aborigines considered African? They are in fact black, correct? Some 50,000 years ago Homo sapien sapiens reached that area, and lived there until the white-man "found" them.Same as with Africans who live in India.But, I heard there are 2 groups/tribes of Aborigines, who in fact dont like each other. Just as American Indian tribes, and Incas, Aztecs, Mayans fought wars with each and did not live in peace.Also, one tribe of Hawaiians exterminated another tribe, so King Kamehameha is a hero now, but in fact he is as bad as Hitler.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:33 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Arent Aborigines considered African? They are in fact black, correct? Some 50,000 years ago Homo sapien sapiens reached that area, and lived there until the white-man "found" them.Same as with Africans who live in India.But, I heard there are 2 groups/tribes of Aborigines, who in fact dont like each other. Just as American Indian tribes, and Incas, Aztecs, Mayans fought wars with each and did not live in peace.Also, one tribe of Hawaiians exterminated another tribe, so King Kamehameha is a hero now, but in fact he is as bad as Hitler.
There are many many more than 2 aboriginal groups. They have hundreds of different languages.

If Aboriginal people are African, then so are Caucasians. In fact, IIRC, they may have left Africa well before Caucasians did.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,525,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
They are less closely related to Africans then Europeans are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand