Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:27 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times

Advertisements

Its nice to be able to go to a supermarket after 6PM here in QLD at the moment. Back in NZ I could do grocery shopping basically any night of the week. Its so unbelievably behind here, never comprehended how annoying it would be until I moved to Brisbane :P

Still astonished half the car sales aren't open past lunch time on Saturday, what they don't realise people work week days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM

168 posts, read 244,187 times
In New Jersey (my area near NYC)

Malls/store hours:

Monday - Saturday 10 am to 9:30 pm
Closed Sundays (blue law)

Rest of America....

Monday - Saturday 10 am until 6 to 9 pm
Sundays 11 am or noon until 5 to 7 pm (or closed)

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
There are some slight differences in NSW between Sydney and Regional areas.
Regional would include the next biggest cities of Newcastle and Wollongong.
Of most note is that some Public Holidays that are open in Sydney, eg Boxing Day and Easter Saturday - are not open here.
ANZAC Day I believe the shops are only open after lunch time for a few short hours.
My local shopping centre in East Maitland is fairly liberal, but not in the Sydney league:

Green Hills Shopping Centre - Shopping Mall NSW - Stockland Australia

Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times
Shopping hours are restricted here in Queensland, the weird thing is that they close later on a Sunday than they do on a Saturday. Fortunately there are IGAs, Night Owls and 7-11s for those late evening chocco cravings.

I sorta wish we could buy alcohol in supermarkets, it would be great to pick up cheap wine from Aldi and Costco. But then again I do enjoy a trip to Dan Murphy's now and then to stock up on the finer stuff (I'm like a kid in a candy store and spend $$$ )

Old 07-08-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
Shopping hours are restricted here in Queensland, the weird thing is that they close later on a Sunday than they do on a Saturday.
)
Its like travelling back to 80s NZ!

That said I have noticed slow improvement in the last few years, EVEN have a 24hr service station near by now!, so yep up to the 1990's.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,500,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Its like travelling back to 80s NZ!

That said I have noticed slow improvement in the last few years, EVEN have a 24hr service station near by now!, so yep up to the 1990's.
Qld restricts the trading hours of major retailers. The Coles at greenslopes trades till 9pm weekdays because it's on restricted hours. However the Super IGA 200m up the road, which is practically the same size as the Coles has no restrictions at all, that particular one trades 5 am till midnight every day. Same for the bottleshops, the Woolworth's owned dan Murphy's and BWS have to shut at 9pm, while independent one at the stones corner hotel is once again open till midnight every day except Sunday.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Qld restricts the trading hours of major retailers. The Coles at greenslopes trades till 9pm weekdays because it's on restricted hours. However the Super IGA 200m up the road, which is practically the same size as the Coles has no restrictions at all, that particular one trades 5 am till midnight every day. Same for the bottleshops, the Woolworth's owned dan Murphy's and BWS have to shut at 9pm, while independent one at the stones corner hotel is once again open till midnight every day except Sunday.
I realise its government restricted as it was back home until restrictions were loosened. There is a somewhat small overpriced IGA near us that gets us by in a emergency, but there is no significant supermarket past 9pm within 20'ks I am aware of. Bottle stores being open less hours is probably a good thing.

QLD has plenty of positives, retail hours are just one behind area, probably the car yards hours annoyed me more than Ice Cream at 1am

Old 07-08-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I think the legislation is to protect the smaller, independently owned businesses and to stop the giants exploiting their staff?

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data...fact-sheet.pdf

One of Queensland's many charms is that it doesn't have a 24 hour economy, I'm all for keeping it that way. Most Queenslanders are asleep by 9.30 anyway, but then they are early risers.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
I think the legislation is to protect the smaller, independently owned businesses and to stop the giants exploiting their staff?

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/__data...fact-sheet.pdf

One of Queensland's many charms is that it doesn't have a 24 hour economy, I'm all for keeping it that way. Most Queenslanders are asleep by 9.30 anyway, but then they are early risers.
Well you know being British as you claim, with long trading hours in many areas of the UK you will realise this is mostly rubbish and a old way of thinking.

The other Aus states like NSW also tend to show QLD is a little behind.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Well you know being British as you claim, with long trading hours in many areas of the UK you will realise this is mostly rubbish and a old way of thinking.
Wow that was a quick reply. Yes, a better lifestyle was one of our reasons for leaving the UK and why we ultimately moved to Australia. They have the balance right here

As I was saying. One of Queensland's many charms is that it doesn't have a 24 hour economy, I'm all for keeping it that way. Most Queenslanders are asleep by 9.30 anyway, but then they are early risers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand