Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM

214 posts, read 410,072 times

Advertisements

We are a minority couple in our mid-30s that has lived in Arkansas, Atlanta, Baton Rouge, Chicago, DC, Denver, Seattle, NYC, and Wyoming combined. We have always wanted to live in an international location. An opportunity has erected on the Gold Coast that has our undivided attention. We have traveled to Sydney, Melbourne and Cairns on vacation but haven't been to the Brisbane area (other than a connecting flight via the US). We would like to hear opinions (if money won't be a dire option) what would be the pros. In addition, we would like to hear opinions (if we won't have any family or friends) what would be the cons. Subsequently, the following queries need to be solved on our end:

- assimilating into Australian culture
- racial acceptance
- diversity (in food, entertainment, people, culture, etc.)
- public transportation

Lastly, is Gold Coast more like Orlando or Miami? San Diego or Vegas? There is a big, huge, gigantic difference between the four cities. We've heard all four mentioned as possible US comps. Love too hear your opinions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 PM

272 posts, read 620,811 times
Bump. Also, to the OP, what keeps you guys moving so much? Sounds like you two have a blast traveling and living together.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 AM

15 posts, read 26,357 times
I would think that Queensland would be one of the hardest states to stay in as a non white couple. Queensland definitely has more racists and is a more insular society than the states in the south. I lived there for a couple of years and thought Queensland was over rated. Although there is a public transport system there, it's not great. The beaches are great though..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM

794 posts, read 1,408,655 times
That awful xenophobe woman was from QLD, her name escapes me at the moment. And awful though it sounds, your experience is going to depend on which minority you are. Only someone who looks like you look will be able to tell you what it's like, but I am going to guess that a hispanic person would get the least racist responses and asian the most.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:21 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Why do people always remember bad things and not good ones?

The first Aborigional and Chinese Australians in federal parliment were both Queenslanders , but no one remembers that.

Having said that i would not live on the Gold Coast.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:25 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
I think the whole Qld racism thing is a bit overdone. It isn't Sir Joh's Qld anymore. Just in the last ten years you can see how much more cosmopolitan SE Qld has become. Granted up in FNQ the saying may still hold true; An hour back on the clock, 20 years behind.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
That awful xenophobe woman was from QLD, her name escapes me at the moment. And awful though it sounds, your experience is going to depend on which minority you are. Only someone who looks like you look will be able to tell you what it's like, but I am going to guess that a hispanic person would get the least racist responses and asian the most.
The person name is Pauline Hanson. She no longer represents a political party and is largely out of politics these days.

I have lived in Queensland, even in in regional Queensland and I did not find Queensland any more racist than the other States in Australia of where I have lived. In the cities there is less racism compared to the more regional cities and smaller towns and that the case for the whole of Australia.

Last edited by other99; 01-13-2013 at 06:50 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 06:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Why do people always remember bad things and not good ones?

The first Aborigional and Chinese Australians in federal parliment were both Queenslanders , but no one remembers that.

Having said that i would not live on the Gold Coast.
Why not? Because of its bogan culture? High crime rates? etc?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Why not? Because of its bogan culture? High crime rates? etc?
Im not sure if you could classify the Gold Coast as bogan, it does however have a very strong beach culture (which has a bit of a bogan element to It), some thing i have never really liked.

I am more of a Flat White Drinking, Bike riding person who loves nothing more than to leave the car at home, I have never dreamed of owning a 4 bed place on a 1/4 acre block with a hills hoist out the back. Brisbane is far more suited to that than the Gold Coast.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-13-2013 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-13-2013, 07:26 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am more of a Flat White Drinking, Bike riding person who loves nothing more than to leave the car at home, I have never dreamed of owing a 4 bed place on a 1/4 acre block with a hills hoist out the back. Brisbane is far more suited to that than the Gold Coast.
w@nker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand