Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 AM

455 posts, read 1,131,677 times

Advertisements

I still didn't get a full answer to my question about northern australia and its low population? I've heard it has a more tropical environment and is more lush and just across the straight there you have indonesia with its massive population, in a climate i'm assuming is not so different given the distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:04 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Some on this thread complain about allowing unskilled immigrants to Australia - but I was wondering, how developed is Australia's manufacturing? To me it would make sense to manufacture products directly in Australia rather than have Australia export materials to Asia and have them manufacture the products. This would allow for employment for lower skilled immigrants (although if immigrants primarily come from Asia, many of them should have some manufacturing experience) and boost Australias economy.
Thoughts?
Unskilled migrants don't make highly transformed manufactures. They make sandshoes and shovels. Why on Earth would we import unskilled workers to try and compete against China? I'm starting to understand why the US is in the mess it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred
I still didn't get a full answer to my question about northern australia and its low population? I've heard it has a more tropical environment and is more lush and just across the straight there you have indonesia with its massive population, in a climate i'm assuming is not so different given the distance.
Indonesia is significantly wetter.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Unskilled migrants don't make highly transformed manufactures. They make sandshoes and shovels. Why on Earth would we import unskilled workers to try and compete against China? I'm starting to understand why the US is in the mess it is.
I'm not talking about allowing the street bums in for immigration, but rather about allowing 30 or 40 or 50 year old immigrants who have done manufacturing for quite some time. There should be quite a few people in Asia who would fit this description.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:36 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about allowing the street bums in for immigration, but rather about allowing 30 or 40 or 50 year old immigrants who have done manufacturing for quite some time. There should be quite a few people in Asia who would fit this description.
Why would they need to?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why would they need to?
They don't. Its just an opportunity for Australia to expand its economy through a manufacturing and agricultural base as they have the capabiliy, room, and resources to do so.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:57 PM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times
Quote:
They don't. Its just an opportunity for Australia to expand its economy through a manufacturing and agricultural base as they have the capabiliy, room, and resources to do so.
No it's not. Importing 40 or 50 year olds to work building God knows what (it won't be high tech that's for sure) will be a drag on the economy. What happens when these people get to 65 and want to retire? Are they expected to have worked long enough to have paid off a house and saved for their own retirement or are they going to have to rely on the Commonwealth pension to survive?

We spent the last 30 years shutting down low skilled manufacturing, we've had 22 years of unbroken growth as a result. I don't think we need to go backwards.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
No it's not. Importing 40 or 50 year olds to work building God knows what (it won't be high tech that's for sure) will be a drag on the economy. What happens when these people get to 65 and want to retire? Are they expected to have worked long enough to have paid off a house and saved for their own retirement or are they going to have to rely on the Commonwealth pension to survive?

We spent the last 30 years shutting down low skilled manufacturing, we've had 22 years of unbroken growth as a result. I don't think we need to go backwards.
This is the same mindste that the open borders crowd in the UK make. That we need to import more immigrants, because in their mind, somehow, each and every immigrant magically adds more money to the economy, rather than having a minimal impact on growth or even cost the economy through providing more services than they give back, which is a big problem in the UK, and possibly Australia, with these family chain migrations from developing nations. You can't just import more immigrants, you need the right ones, not just any and all which seems to be what Phil P is saying. Another thing Phil P does not seem to understand is that Australia does not have the water capacity to have substantially more people. Australia certainly has tons of land, but people need more than just land, they need water. Until Australia comes up with ways to cheaply desalinate large quantities of water and to distribute it through a network of canals and dams (like the Los Angeles Aquaduct), Australia will always have a very small carrying capacity compared to, say, Canada

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This is the same mindste that the open borders crowd in the UK make. That we need to import more immigrants, because in their mind, somehow, each and every immigrant magically adds more money to the economy, rather than having a minimal impact on growth or even cost the economy through providing more services than they give back, which is a big problem in the UK, and possibly Australia, with these family chain migrations from developing nations. You can't just import more immigrants, you need the right ones, not just any and all which seems to be what Phil P is saying. Another thing Phil P does not seem to understand is that Australia does not have the water capacity to have substantially more people. Australia certainly has tons of land, but people need more than just land, they need water. Until Australia comes up with ways to cheaply desalinate large quantities of water and to distribute it through a network of canals and dams (like the Los Angeles Aquaduct), Australia will always have a very small carrying capacity compared to, say, Canada
In which way would you like to see Australia grow? Do you think it should grow?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
In which way would you like to see Australia grow? Do you think it should grow?
Australia needs to grow on its own, without importing more 3rd worlders that drive wages down because they think getting $10AU an hour is a good deal when in reality it's poverty wages. But, poverty in Australia is luxury living compared to where they came from, which most likely has questionable water quality issues, reliable electricity, among other things. Australia needs more European, Canadian, American, and New Zealander immigration. It's very hard to drive wages down when people in these countries expect a decent salary or wage. It's also easy to integrate these people since their cultures are similar to Australia's, even those with immigrant backgrounds (well, maybe the Muslims are 50/50).

But, Australia should grow in proportion to its water resources. Australia has a very bad habit of either raining too much or too little. Until then, Australia should be much more selective on who it takes in. They need skilled migrants that demand a good salary, not people from developing nations who is willing to work for less and undermine the local workers. To me, these people are the same as scabs

Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,832 times
^The interesting thing about the US is that, despite fears of sharia law and the like you might hear in some talk-radio quarters, the immigrant Muslim population has assimilated very well -- at least in comparison to Europe or perhaps even Australia. While there are wild cards like the Fort Hood shooter and the like, in general we don't see the big protests over things like cartoons and videos. For example, in that last dust-up over the anti-Islam movie, the only Muslim demonstration in Dallas (and Texas has a decent-size Muslim population) I was aware of was a peaceful, pro-peace/we're-not-going-to-let-some-bad-movie-compel-us-to-violence gathering outside city hall. On the other hand in Sydney, things got out of hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand