Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 3,376 times

Advertisements

I currently Live in Maine (USA) and I'm highly considering moving to Robina QLD and going to Griffith Uni. for Exercise Science. It's that or Some place in Cali (USA). I currently have a friend in Robina and have heard great things. She seems to do a lot out that way. I love the fact that she can do so much within her surrounding area but seeing as I live in America I know nothing of what else might be out there. I only ask this in the Aus part of the forum since I figured anyone from aus would see it and typically people from a certain area want me move else where to at least visit. For those who see this what are you opinions to moving to Robina or other places where I could explore my hobbies?

What I want
Beaches
Mtns
City
Culture

Weather
Warm
Sunny
Snow (close enough to drive few hours or fly)

What I like to do
Hike/Camp
Kayak
Concerts/Events
Exercise
Pubs
Bike
Snowboard/Surfing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Are you going to Australia for an education or for fun and hobbies?

Before you get into the nitty gritty about this or that about Australia or Robina, QLD., the first thing I would do is figure out if you can financially afford to do so. Unless you are independently wealthy or are willing to go into massive debt, you will not be getting a 4 year degree in Australia.

Part of the problem is that Australian universities charge a hefty amount for international students and most Australian schools do not have housing and living expenses in Australia are high. Also the exchange rate for the Aus$ versus the US$ is very poor right now, which adds further expense.

If you want to go to Australia for fun and hobbies, the cheap option is the 12 month working holiday visa, which will allow you to travel and work in Australia for one year. It is for 18-30 year olds. With a round trip ticket, the visa costs and travel insurance, the cost will be around $3000, with another few thousand needed to get you started.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:11 AM

I would like to go for both. Right now I am a personal trainer and was looking into getting an exercise science degree to become an exercise tech and work with a hospital or something.

Financially I can get myself to aus stay in aus for cheap. Racking up debt will happen if I chose to go to school. That will probably happen either way if I chose to go back to school within the US as well.

I had been looking into a working holiday visa until i got the aspiration to also go to school.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Since you have a friend alreadfy in Robina, did you share your list with him/her?

Did you get feedback, esp. about your need for winter/snow sports??

The other info about mountains, etc can easily be found doing a google.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migliores View Post
I would like to go for both. Right now I am a personal trainer and was looking into getting an exercise science degree to become an exercise tech and work with a hospital or something.

Financially I can get myself to aus stay in aus for cheap. Racking up debt will happen if I chose to go to school. That will probably happen either way if I chose to go back to school within the US as well.

I had been looking into a working holiday visa until i got the aspiration to also go to school.
Have you looked at the international tuition and fees you will pay and convert it over to US$?

Australian universities are a bit different than American schools in that it's a big tradition to go away for school, but Australian kids tend just to go to their local university in whatever city they live in and still live at home. So housing tends to be short supply or nonexistent, which means living out in the public and paying the expenses of that. Australian cities are some of the most expensive in the world now.

A school visa also only allows so many hours of weeks of work.

I doubt going to school and working will allow for this great exploration of hobbies. Hence if you are looking to goof off and explore and do hobbies then I would do the working holiday visa and enjoy yourself. The other thing is that year visa will allow you learn much about Australia and see if you really like it. Right now it appears you really don't know much about it at all. After doing your year visa you'll really know if you want to commit to an expensive 4 year degree at an Australian university.

Robina is in the subtropics, so snow sports are out.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:27 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migliores View Post

How could you get a loan for a degree? You're probably looking at $80,000 or more once you include living expenses.

Wait, I just googled, and are you considering Bond uni? NFW, you do not want to go there. It's the worst university in the country, by far (well, maybe Redfern TAFE is worse). They're private, so they let in anyone with enough money, and the people who are willing to pay are the people who didn't get into a real uni. Probablythe closest American example would be the University of Phoenix.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM

I had looked into bond Uni but I had decided against that. Something about private schools that turn me off. Maybe that's because I've already graduated with a BS from a private uni. (got a degree in something I no long care about).

With Unis off the table and looking into the option of just going with the work visa. What would the job outlook for a personal trainer be? Or someone in the fitness industry in general?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand