U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,472,902 times

Advertisements

Just watched this (hired the DVD from the library), actually a pretty interesting film, just figured the whole film is available on youtube (below if you want to check it out).

I thought it was a pretty interesting look at Australian culture, and how things were in the 60s. It portrayed most Aussies as pretty decent folks who were willing to 'give everyone a fair go.' Although a bit dated, it's one of those Aussie films that every 'New Australian' (the word isn't as new as I thought!) should watch. There were a few racist characters, but I got the feeling that they were portrayed as the exception rather than the rule. Would you say most Australians were at heart racist in the mid 1960s? They were also portrayed as being the 'bad guys.' Keep in mind this film was released in 1965, when Australia still had the White Australia Policy. The Italians were still white but still seen as very foreign compared to the 'Anglos.' There was a Chinese character in the film though. The story was semi-autobiographical, I believe, written by Nino Culotta who emigrated to Australia, and it's interesting because it presents an immigrants view of Australia.

Watching films or TV shows from the 1960s I'm struck by how posh/English some of the people sounded, like the boss' daughter in this film. You seem to hardly here those accents from Australians these days.

They're A Weird Mob cd1 - YouTube

They're A Weird Mob cd2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 PM

321 posts, read 504,806 times
I had to watch that film for Year 10 Humanities, thank God Australia isn't like that anymore. The 1950's/60's seemed like a really xenophobic time to live in Australia if you weren't white Anglo-Saxon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand