Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM

300 posts, read 639,064 times

Advertisements

Greetings, I have a son who would like to travel to Australia to join(I think hes crazy). We are from the US, would anyone be able to tell me some BASIC information about joining, and the benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:49 PM

4,226 posts, read 4,889,720 times
He'll need an Australian passport.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Revival View Post
Greetings, I have a son who would like to travel to Australia to join(I think hes crazy). We are from the US, would anyone be able to tell me some BASIC information about joining, and the benefits.
Best place to start is with the Australian Army website. They have all the information you need and I'm surprised you have not had a look yet.

They will take existing, experienced soldiers from first world countries that have skills the Army needs. Usually you need about 10 years of experience in your own military and you must be skilled in what you do.

Details are here:

Recruitment Centre - Defence Jobs Australia

So in other words, you can't just turn up off the boat and join the Army. This isn't the French Foreign Legion.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Best place to start is with the Australian Army website. They have all the information you need and I'm surprised you have not had a look yet.

They will take existing, experienced soldiers from first world countries that have skills the Army needs. Usually you need about 10 years of experience in your own military and you must be skilled in what you do.

Details are here:

Recruitment Centre - Defence Jobs Australia

So in other words, you can't just turn up off the boat and join the Army. This isn't the French Foreign Legion.
Ive checked the website, but I wanted a little info from a citizen

Old 01-13-2013, 07:43 PM

4,226 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
You'd have to imagine the ADF website will be better equipped to answer your questions than an average Australian would. Your son could always give them a ring. But obviously, it's fairly pointless unless he has some way of attaining Australian citizenship.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
I would think the Australian Army and their recruitment website for internationals is about the best authority you are ever going to get.

Australia is a tough country to get into. If you don't have money or desired skills, education and experience you can forget it. If you don't meet the standards for their international recruitment rules for their Army, the only other option is to emigrate, again that requires skills and education that is on the Dept of Immigration list and then over years become a permanent resident and then join the Army.

I know of American nationals that ended up in the Australian and New Zealand Armies and as the website says in regards to skills, they were all professional soldiers with skills and experience that were desired by their military.

If your son is not a professional soldier with years of experience and education that is on their list, you are wasting your time. They are not going to let him turn up at the border and sign up with their military. That's not the way it works.(I'd like to see that on an episode of Border Security).

If you don't trust what I am saying or their own recruitment website, I suggest your son contact them directly with his resume and see the response he gets.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
My best friend was in the Australian Army (he just got out a few years ago) and I have a cousin in the Royal Australian Air Force and uncle in the Royal Australian Navy. My husband just got out of the U.S. Marine Corps a little over a month ago.

I can honestly say, that with my second hand knowledge of the U.S. military vs the Australian military/ defense force it is much harder to get into the Australian military/ defense force than it is to get into the U.S. military. For instance, the ENTIRE Australian defense force (including reserves) could fit into Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base and still have room to spare. They're smaller, but they're also a lot pickier.

I attempted to join the RAAF when I was in my early 20s and was denied on my run time and a few other physical components. About 3 1/2 years ago I began the process to join the U.S. Navy and had no issues with the physical components (even though if anything, I was probably MORE fit at 21 when I tried to join the RAAF). Unfortunately because I wasn't a U.S. Citizen and just a green card holder, a lot of jobs were closed off to me and I couldn't fathom doing the ones available for any length of time, so chose against continuing the process.

Anyway, it's kind of a non-issue that the Australian military has stricter and more rigorous requirements because as others have said, you can't just turn up in Australia and join the Army just as you can't turn up in the U.S. and join the military.

After your son talks with the Australian Army over the phone as suggested, if he really wants to be a part of it still, he should consider his options for the U.S. Military first and ensure he selects an MOS with specialized skills that may be useful to the Australian Army should he still decide to go that route.

Good luck to him!

Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,254 times
The benefits? You get to meet interesting people... and kill them.

To save you the trouble
Quote:
Non-Australian Citizen or Non-Permanent Resident without military experience
Currently there is no avenue of entry available for you to apply to join the Australian Defence Force.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Default So Basically..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
The benefits? You get to meet interesting people... and kill them.

To save you the trouble
So basically, a non citizen has little or no chance at going into the ADF?

Old 01-14-2013, 06:23 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
So basically, a non citizen has little or no chance at going into the ADF?
Did you read the website?

Who is eligible?

The Australian Army can sponsor serving or ex-serving foreign military personnel for service in the Army.
Foreign nationals who do not have any military experience are not eligible for sponsorship via this program.
However you may apply for enlistment through Defence Force Recruiting once you have satisfied normal Australian permanent residency requirements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand