Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:38 AM

823 posts, read 1,055,294 times

Advertisements

If you are travelling to New Zealand under the Visa Waiver Scheme, you must hold an onward ticket. If you want to go on a one-way ticket, you must apply for a Visitor's Visa, which is a different thing, and requires proof of funds for an outward ticket.

This is from Immigration New Zealand's website:

Can I enter NZ on a one-way ticket?

Visitors entering NZ without a visa (Visa Waiver countries only), must have valid onward travel arrangements (ie. return ticket or official confirmation that a ticket is booked and paid for) when entering New Zealand. The return ticket must also be from NZ to a country they can enter.
Please note that having funds to purchase a ticket is not sufficient evidence of onward travel arrangements for Visa Waiver visitors.
If you are applying for a visa prior to your travel, you may enter New Zealand on a one way ticket, provided that the visa in your passport clearly states ‘Return/onward ticket not required’.
In all other cases an outward travel arrangement must have been made prior to arriving in New Zealand (visitors must have a return ticket, while workers and students may show available funds to purchase a ticket).

This is from Air New Zealand's website:

People travelling to New Zealand on a one-way ticket must be either:
  • a New Zealand passport holder
  • an Australian passport holder
  • a permanent resident of Australia holding a valid Australian Resident Return Visa allowing an indefinite stay
  • other foreign national holding a valid New Zealand Returning Resident's Visa
All other visitors to New Zealand must possess a return or onward ticket to a country to which you have right of entry.
If you are a visitor to New Zealand making an international side trip (returning back to New Zealand before continuing your journey), please remember to take your onward ticket with you on the side trip. You will need to present this when checking in for your return flight to New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 05:18 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Yes, you are correct. When I put in country of citizenship as Uganda instead of the USA when I did the NZ query.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
And if you are an orphan?
Then obviously they won't contact anyone.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I had no Idea Australia was such a harsh country for immigration.
The US kicks out illegals that are caught. And in many cases separates families (US born kids aren't deported but their parents are).

So the US is a harsh country for immigration (as well).

Old 01-22-2013, 08:21 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
There are plenty of Border Security episodes on youtube, check it out to see what happens.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:38 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The US kicks out illegals that are caught. And in many cases separates families (US born kids aren't deported but their parents are).

So the US is a harsh country for immigration (as well).
Oh, come on. The US has 20,000,000 illegals in this country and we rarely deport anyone. If you make it in, you don't have too much to worry about. The stories of families being separated are highly inflated and are more for propoganda, sobstory, purposes. I'll bet Australia doesn't have illegals demanding the same rights as American born citizens or collapsing some hospitals from overuse and non payment. (Remember, in the US, you can't deny aid to anyone.....) We have illegals who are permantly confined to hospitals and are costing the taxpayers millions. One illegal has been living in a hospital for over a year and the home country doesn't want them back (Chicago, I think).

Obama has by executive order, refused to deport anyone except the most hardened criminals and Mexico doesn't want them back either.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Oh, come on. The US has 20,000,000 illegals in this country and we rarely deport anyone. If you make it in, you don't have too much to worry about. The stories of families being separated are highly inflated and are more for propoganda, sobstory, purposes. I'll bet Australia doesn't have illegals demanding the same rights as American born citizens or collapsing some hospitals from overuse and non payment. (Remember, in the US, you can't deny aid to anyone.....) We have illegals who are permantly confined to hospitals and are costing the taxpayers millions. One illegal has been living in a hospital for over a year and the home country doesn't want them back (Chicago, I think).

Obama has by executive order, refused to deport anyone except the most hardened criminals and Mexico doesn't want them back either.
We have our own issues with illegal immigration.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post

Over 400,000 people were deported last year from the US, less than half had criminal records. As for denying aid in hospitals, that comes from the oath all doctors take to care for anyone in need. I'm pretty sure you'd find hospitals in Australia or most countries for that matter accepting someone for urgent care first before figuring out their status as well.

How ironic you call stories of deportation inflated and then tell a story about one person when you dont know where they are at and its highly unlikely you know anything of their health circumstances. If you dont like propaganda, why dont you stop spreading it yourself?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

We kick people out who are illegally in the country and that makes us harsh?
No..I wish the US would vamp up kicking illegals the hell out

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
We have our own issues with illegal immigration.
What puzzles me about illegal immigration in Australia, is how do they get there..is it a case of people who were granted entry and didn't leave....do they come by canoe?

Here in the US we have a huge land border with Mexico so hence easier for Mexicans and others from Central America to sneak in.
Cuba is only 90 miles away from Key West so boats are an option and of course we have the ones who gained entry legally they just never left to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand