Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:58 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi View Post
I am also considering migrating to Oz before our kids get too old (10 & 13). Future here in the US is getting worse every year.
Fortunately I am an Australian citizen, as well as a Brit (by birth) and US citizen, so no visa or medical issues. Not lived in Oz since I was 15 (1980) so I am not comparing what I remember with how things currently are. Coming over in June for vacation with family to Melbourne and Sydney so wife can get some kind of feel for the place as it will be hard for her leaving family (mine is in the UK).

From what I have found so far, cars are about 20-30% more, much higher if you buy a high end BMW or Mercedes due to luxury tax etc.
Housing, wow !!! All I can say is that there is much discussion about a bubble although the bubble in Oz has grown much much more slowly over 10-15 years compared to the quick one's we have had in the US. That said, unless I was on a high salary such as the OP's and intending not to move for a longtime I would shy away from $700k houses as you will see an adjustment at some point, as it is doing as we speak (6% down last year in Melbourne I think).
Healthcare - free in Oz - very important when you retire. Only getting more expensive in the US and constant discussion about cutting govt sponsored Medicare for retired people.

I think the key question here is "Quality of Life" and what your definition is.
For me, working in IT support, I will likely miss my toys but I am not as materialistic as most Americans (who must have an iPhone or iPad etc).
Most important to me is that my family will be safer with free healthcare and a govt not spending $billions on military where it should be going to education etc.
Going to do a separate post on places to live but there are some new areas being developed to North and West with sub-$400k housing for 2000 sq ft
What's wrong with the US? Is it because of the ongoing racist attacks becoming a major issue partly to blame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 PM

60 posts, read 252,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
What's wrong with the US? Is it because of the ongoing racist attacks becoming a major issue partly to blame?
Guns - a small vocal % insisting they need them and people insisting they also need assault rifles because they are fun and they have a constitutional right (screw common sense :-S). So more people buy guns to protect themselves from those that have them already. Spiralling...

Police - a select % (not all) seem to be above the law and do what they please including shooting 1st and ask questions later or shoot even though other methods of restraint are available. Most recent was kid shot to death because he put his hands out of site next to his push bike because they thought he had a gun. (video online)

Racism - been around for ages but more prevalent since Obama came into power and all hell has broken loose regarding disrespecting a sitting President because he is black and often hiding behind other reasons.

Money - gap is widening between rich and middle class and govt just making it worse as they are the rich or are being paid under the table. Hidden corruption, although lobbyists are the blatant corrupt influence.

Healthcare - lots of great healthcare but you cannot afford it and if you get really sick you will likely become bankrupt even if you have insurance (many clauses)
Even military personnel do not get the healthcare they deserve.

Military - obsessiveness in putting military people in some special pedestal rather than people who deserve simple praise for doing the job they signed up for. Only major country in the world that does this but part of the massive military machine that makes money for corporations.

It is a great country but rapidly falling. If you are forced to live there live in California, but likely you won't be able to afford to in the major metro areas.

Finally, after living in Sydney for over 12 months now I do not miss anything except the extended family I left behind. Even my teenage daughters have come to realize on their own that the US is not a place they want to go back to after initially being very angry at been moved.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM

6,687 posts, read 6,031,429 times
Hey UKAussi,

I have permanent residence to Australia, but still unsure if I should go for it. I am very tempted to do so, but worried about getting homesick. Is it really worth up and leaving? I debate all the time within myself!

Old 07-27-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Hey UKAussi,

I have permanent residence to Australia, but still unsure if I should go for it. I am very tempted to do so, but worried about getting homesick. Is it really worth up and leaving? I debate all the time within myself!
It depends on your ties with family. When I left the UK to go to the US at age 30 it was mid nineties so no Skype etc. I did have extended family to see in CA so helped with the transition.
I was single and met my wife & soulmate within a year of arriving so I had a new extended family to be part of, which we both left last year to move to Sydney.

If you are single absolutely no question you should try it and see.
If you have a partner, discuss it with them. It is a risk and an adventure all in one and that is what most humans want in their lives.
If you have a family (kids) I also suggest discussing with them and involving them in the decision, even if you have the final decision.

If you live in or a few km from Sydney CBD there is a lot to do but it is not a massive city like NYC, Chicago etc.

Above all else, take a 2 week+ vacation to wherever it is you think you might want to live, explore and most importantly talk to the "natives". Amazingly more friendly and down to earth in Oz than US.
I did the same with CA and again with Sydney before deciding to move.

Good luck

Old 07-27-2015, 05:48 PM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
My sister lives in Melbourne. She married an Aussie. He already had a house because his family is in property. They also have a bayside home on the Morningside peninsula.

I lived in Boston for 4 years and have spent 3 months in Melbourne. I think Melbourne offers a better quality of life than Boston, but I don't buy a lot of stuff. IMO Australia in general seems much better for kids than the USA. Schools are better, safer, better weather, etc.

Australia is very expensive for food, consumer goods, and things like cars and motorcycles have absurd costs compared to the USA.

You could probably say that Melbourne has home prices like LA with food prices like Hawaii. Other prices are distinctly Australian.

edit: whoops, i just paid attention to the date of the OP. derp

Last edited by Dennis Schroeder; 07-27-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
My sister lives in Melbourne. She married an Aussie. He already had a house because his family is in property. They also have a bayside home on the Morningside peninsula.

I lived in Boston for 4 years and have spent 3 months in Melbourne. I think Melbourne offers a better quality of life than Boston, but I don't buy a lot of stuff. IMO Australia in general seems much better for kids than the USA. Schools are better, safer, better weather, etc.

Australia is very expensive for food, consumer goods, and things like cars and motorcycles have absurd costs compared to the USA.

You could probably say that Melbourne has home prices like LA with food prices like Hawaii. Other prices are distinctly Australian.
Agreed Dennis, key to buying groceries is when they are on sale for 20-50% off as the big 2 (Coles & Woolworths) overprice all their stuff just like Ralphs & Vons etc do in the US as they have the market tied up.

Cars are about 20-30% higher (excl luxury cars where they gouge 50-100% higher)+ higher sales tax but this will change over next 2 years as they just adjusted the law so you can import new cars from overseas. Much price gouging from car manufacturers here so they will have to drop prices.

Big plus is that US dollar is now worth AUD 1.37 so if you bring money over you easily make up for the higher costs. Just don't convert cash using your bank as they rip you off, use a large money exchange company such as the one I used OZForex as it saved me around $10k compared to rates bank was offering on money from a house sale, and that was when rates were only worth AUD 1.05 so wish I had waited a year but oh well :-(

Biggest factor I like is great public transport in Sydney. Same in Melbourne. This means we only need one car for our family so saves on cost of car, insurance, diesel/petrol etc

Old 07-28-2015, 03:49 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,345,245 times
After checking a few sites, I'm not that sure Australia is that much more expensive. Take a Toyota Camry: in the US they're priced from $22,970USD (that's $31,465 AUD) msrp, which even excludes delivery costs, while in Australia they're priced from $28,990 AUD full drive away, which includes all costs of getting the car on the road, including registration.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 AM

284 posts, read 331,074 times
That's because the Aussie dollar isn't as strong as it was a few years ago. Amazing how that can change the whole perspective

Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM

Don't forget, unless you are bringing over a large sum of money and retiring in Oz you always have to compare the cost of items against the salary you will be earning in Oz

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 PM

431 posts, read 449,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaussi View Post
Big plus is that US dollar is now worth AUD 1.37
Wow, maybe it's time for another trip. It's usually the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand