U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should McDonald's officially become 'Macca's' have it on our signs?
Yes 4 22.22%
No 8 44.44%
No opinion 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:23 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,016,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
So how is mcdonald's pronounced in australia? McDonald's or MacDonalds? I assumed the "Macca" nickname would have derived from the latter.

Or this could be another case of North Americans and Brits/Australians hearing different things based on accents?
Mc not Mac. It's not Mac so it would be incorrect to pronounce it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,211,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
So how is mcdonald's pronounced in australia? McDonald's or MacDonalds? I assumed the "Macca" nickname would have derived from the latter.

Or this could be another case of North Americans and Brits/Australians hearing different things based on accents?
I've heard both. I just think saying 'mac' is as little more incorrect.

Mc is not quick 'mick' either. It's more like you just get rid of the vowel in the middle.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:48 PM

5,342 posts, read 5,231,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well then your own country mates are contradicting yourselves; otherwise you'd be calling it Mickas, not Maccas.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Well then your own country mates are contradicting yourselves; otherwise you'd be calling it Mickas, not Maccas.
What are "country mates"? Friends I have from the bush?

I don't see any contradiction. The correct pronounciation of McDonalds is not "MacDonalds". The standard nickname of anyone whose surname starts as Mac or Mc is Macca. Nicknames don't need to adhere to grammatical correctness.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
What are "country mates"? Friends I have from the bush?

I don't see any contradiction. The correct pronounciation of McDonalds is not "MacDonalds". The standard nickname of anyone whose surname starts as Mac or Mc is Macca. Nicknames don't need to adhere to grammatical correctness.
You said that pronouncing McDonalds as Mac Donalds would be incorrect, yet the shortened nickname is Maccas. That's a contradiction, if you were consistent you would pronounce it Mickas.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
You said that pronouncing McDonalds as Mac Donalds would be incorrect, yet the shortened nickname is Maccas. That's a contradiction, if you were consistent you would pronounce it Mickas.
It's not a contradiction anymore than someone called Richard is called Dick (or Rick) or Robert is called Bob (or Bert) or William is called Bill Or James is called Jimmy. The nickname doesn't have to be pronounced the same way as the name.

Didn't think it was that hard a concept to understand.

Last edited by BCC_1; 02-19-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
It's not a contradiction anymore than someone called Richard is called Dick (or Rick) or Robert is called Bob (or Bert) or William is called Bill Or James is called Jimmy. The nickname doesn't have to be pronounced the same way as the name.

Didn't think it was that hard a concept to understand.
I'm not getting what you're not getting.

You're the one that said it is wrong to pronouce Mc as Mac, not me. If that's the case why do you pronounce the nickname McDondalds Maccas instead of Mickas? Your examples above aren't valid, because they are completely different names with different letters. Your example would be correct if instead of Rick for Richard, you pronounced it Rack; changing the sound of the vowel. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal. We have a ton of grammar inconsistencies here in the States too.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not getting what you're not getting.

You're the one that said it is wrong to pronouce Mc as Mac, not me.
In the context of saying McDonalds it is incorrect to call it MickDonalds, MacDonalds...any other variation. I never said anything about how to pronounce Macca's. Here is the original series of posts so that you can hopefully get your head around it.

Quote:

Quote:
There's three questions and one statement in the first post. It should be patently obvious I'm answering the first two questions, ie "So how is McDonald's pronounced in Australia? McDonalds or MacDonalds?"

Quote:
If that's the case why do you pronounce the nickname McDondalds Maccas instead of Mickas? Your examples above aren't valid, because they are completely different names with different letters. Your example would be correct if instead of Rick for Richard, you pronounced it Rack; changing the sound of the vowel. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal. We have a ton of grammar inconsistencies here in the States too.

Fine. James = Jimmy not Jammy. Happy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand