U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,715 times

Advertisements

Just go to google maps and type in the n-word (the actual word) and almost every single location that pops up is in Australia.

Google Maps

There's a: "n-word" Creek

"n-word" Head

"n-word" head reef

"n-words" Bouce

"n-word" Hill

Is it not understood that this name is very offensive and why would those locations even have those names in the first place? Is there a way we can get them to change those names?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,189,981 times
I had no idea about these places. You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,015,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedi View Post
Is it not understood that this name is very offensive and why would those locations even have those names in the first place? Is there a way we can get them to change those names?
Because this isn't America. That word doesn't have the same historical context.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 AM

600 posts, read 716,443 times
There's even a brand of cheese in Australia called coon cheese, we probably should change those place names but as BCC_1 said this isn't America their history has no context here.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 AM

241 posts, read 356,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
There's even a brand of cheese in Australia called coon cheese, we probably should change those place names but as BCC_1 said this isn't America their history has no context here.
So in what context do Australians use that word? I've always been under the impression that word was an American creation that's been exported around the world.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,015,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
So in what context do Australians use that word? I've always been under the impression that word was an American creation that's been exported around the world.
The n word is English not American. It's use as a pejorative originates in the United States. Until the 20th century it did not carry any negative connotation anymore than black does today.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
It means the same thing as everywhere else that's why I said we should change those place names, I don't know when or why they were named that but it was probably a long time ago so it's probably a good idea to change them but it's not a high priority as most people have never heard of those places I know I haven't.

The context is different in that the word has historically been used to describe Aboriginals, not Africans so there isn't the history of slavery and the kkk behind it.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 AM

I think this is a case of someone looking for something to get offended at.

Why would you google the n word in google maps?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 AM

3,358 posts, read 5,186,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmedi View Post
Just go to google maps and type in the n-word (the actual word) and almost every single location that pops up is in Australia.

Google Maps

There's a: "n-word" Creek

"n-word" Head

"n-word" head reef

"n-words" Bouce

"n-word" Hill

To get rid of the names you apply to the department of natural resources In the states they are located.

Like everyone else I've never heard of these places, and think the names should be changed.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-19-2013 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
There are also lots of places in America with that name or some variant. One of them got our Texas governor, Rick Perry, in trouble when he ran for president because his family owned land with a ranch/hunting camp bearing that name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or