U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM

704 posts, read 1,454,155 times

Advertisements

I'm especially wondering about cultural comparisons. Obviously the cultural heritage of the two countries is different, but I assume that Australia has it's version of a New York (Sydney, I suppose), or it's Dallas (Brisbane?), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 04:24 PM

24,980 posts, read 27,190,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
He's a yank.

Don't you hate people who claim to be experts in countries other than their own?
Yes, definitely. I also hate it when they don't know how to spell simple words; although that's usually a good tip off that they are talking out of their butts.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,432,275 times
To me, Adelaide feels like a mini-LA.
However, if you were to compare Aussie cities to those in the US, you would generally be limited to California and Florida cities, as they are the most similar both topographically climate-wise.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,679,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Brisbane reminds me of a hodge-podge of a bunch of different cities from the Carolinas. Obviously the architecture and flora are going to be different but New Farm felt like parts of Charleston. West End more like parts of Asheville. Driving around the northern suburbs sometimes feels like Charlotte or Raleigh.

The river and CBD of Brisbane are distinct - the downtowns of Australian cities are an unusual animal to me (coming from the eastern US) because they're generally really clean, dense, bustling during the day (lots of shopping) but very few people live in them - which would be like a lot of southern/western downtowns in the US but then those US downtowns are usually dominated by parking lots and aren't typically bustling during the day either.
The trend is a lot of people moving into the city and inner suburbs. A lot of the people living there are foreigners, though.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:57 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,043,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I'm especially wondering about cultural comparisons. Obviously the cultural heritage of the two countries is different, but I assume that Australia has it's version of a New York (Sydney, I suppose), or it's Dallas (Brisbane?), etc.
The cultural heritage is very similar. Both former British colonies, common language, common law system. Successive waves of migration from Europe, largely from the same source countries.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 PM

9,331 posts, read 19,100,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
To me, Adelaide feels like a mini-LA.
However, if you were to compare Aussie cities to those in the US, you would generally be limited to California and Florida cities, as they are the most similar both topographically climate-wise.
What reminds you of LA in Adelaide?

The fact that its surrounded by parkland? the large stock of classic buildings? Good public transport around the CBD? No pollution? People who will say Good Morning or smile when you stroll about on a lazy Sunday morning?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM

3,380 posts, read 5,245,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Brisbane reminds me of a hodge-podge of a bunch of different cities from the Carolinas. Obviously the architecture and flora are going to be different but New Farm felt like parts of Charleston. West End more like parts of Asheville. Driving around the northern suburbs sometimes feels like Charlotte or Raleigh.

The river and CBD of Brisbane are distinct - the downtowns of Australian cities are an unusual animal to me (coming from the easterhn US) because they're generally really clean, dense, bustling during the day (lots of shopping) but very few people live in them - which would be like a lot of southern/western downtowns in the US but then those US downtowns are usually dominated by parking lots and aren't typically bustling during the day either.
I have acutally read about Brisbanes similarities to cities the the Carolinas a few times now. If my mind serves me right you live in Brisbane at the moment?

You should have being here 5-10 years ago, the residental population in the CBD was about 1/3rd of what it is now.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-22-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,432,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What reminds you of LA in Adelaide?

The fact that its surrounded by parkland? the large stock of classic buildings? Good public transport around the CBD? No pollution? People who will say Good Morning or smile when you stroll about on a lazy Sunday morning?
The climate and the topography mostly. I guess that's all though.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 AM

432 posts, read 1,012,337 times
Grew up in the States and have lived in Australia for many years. There is no comparison. Different population numbers, very different cultures, different building styles, different climates, animals and plants. Though I did hear that some US cities now has "round a bouts" which is very popular on Australian roads.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,855,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I have acutally read about Brisbanes similarities to cities the the Carolinas a few times now. If my mind serves me right you live in Brisbane at the moment?

You should have being here 5-10 years ago, the residental population in the CBD was about 1/3rd of what it is now.
Yes, I'm in Brisbane now.

It's pretty plain to see that a lot of buildings and infrastructure in and around the urban core are brand new so I can imagine what things were like 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand