U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:38 PM

272 posts, read 339,515 times

Advertisements

Vancouver didn't remind me of Sydney at all aside from the Harbour. No, Vancouver is more like a much larger Hobart.

Sydney is too big to be reminiscent of Vancouver. Vancouver felt like a condominium city of average size with a backdrop of very high mountain ranges...Sydney doesn't have any of that. Sydney Harbour shares more of a resemblance with Lake Ontario, with the skyline dominated by a "needle-point" tower (Sydney Tower in SYD, CN Tower in TO). Still, New Zealand's cities hold more similarities with Canadian cities than Australian ones.

I guess if we're going to continue comparing Australian and Canadian cities, then Adelaide = Edmonton? A much warmer version albeit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 04:28 PM

2,063 posts, read 769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Monreal and Melbourne? Not similar at all. In fact Toronto was super similar to Melbourne ; both have street cars or trams (whatever you want to call it), lots of high-rise apartments, Lake Ontario is kinda similar to Port Phillip bay, both have a very big hipster scene.
I have heard Vancouver is similar to Sydney; the Harbour, they both have a similar bridge, very outdoor cities, a very high Asian population.
Ottawa is more beautiful than Canberra. Ottawa is a bilingual city which makes it more interesting too.
Calgary =Perth (very rich cities with natural resources, infamous for its dullness)
Brisbane? Canít compare it with any city in Canada really
I was thinking more along the lines of what each city represents in the nation when making the comparison. Toronto and Sydney are the economic hubs of their respective country. They both feature postcard iconic landmarks that people associate not only with the city in question but the nation at large (Opera House and Sydney Harbour Bridge in Sydney and the CN tower facing Lake Ontario for Toronto). The presence of trams wasnít really on my radar here.

Melbourne and Montreal are the cultural cities or at least thatís how their often viewed. Canberra and Ottawa are the administrative centers and share commonality in that sense. They are also both located between the two largest cities (Sydney and Melbourne) and (Toronto and Montreal).

Old 12-27-2018, 07:55 PM

9,899 posts, read 11,284,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Monreal and Melbourne? Not similar at all. In fact Toronto was super similar to Melbourne ; both have street cars or trams (whatever you want to call it), lots of high-rise apartments, Lake Ontario is kinda similar to Port Phillip bay, both have a very big hipster scene.
I have heard Vancouver is similar to Sydney; the Harbour, they both have a similar bridge, very outdoor cities, a very high Asian population.
Ottawa is more beautiful than Canberra. Ottawa is a bilingual city which makes it more interesting too.
Calgary =Perth (very rich cities with natural resources, infamous for its dullness)
Brisbane? Can’t compare it with any city in Canada really
I spent time in Australia several years ago and what you wrote above is more or less my take as well.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:51 AM

16,443 posts, read 12,862,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Vancouver didn't remind me of Sydney at all aside from the Harbour. No, Vancouver is more like a much larger Hobart.

Sydney is too big to be reminiscent of Vancouver. Vancouver felt like a condominium city of average size with a backdrop of very high mountain ranges...Sydney doesn't have any of that. Sydney Harbour shares more of a resemblance with Lake Ontario, with the skyline dominated by a "needle-point" tower (Sydney Tower in SYD, CN Tower in TO). Still, New Zealand's cities hold more similarities with Canadian cities than Australian ones.

I guess if we're going to continue comparing Australian and Canadian cities, then Adelaide = Edmonton? A much warmer version albeit.
This seems an odd view to me -Auckland is more like Montreal than Sydney? Wellington or Dunedin is more like Calgary than Hobart? I don't see it.

My own medium sized town, is very similar in layout and look to Shepparton where I spend quite a bit of time, if one ignores the lack of hills. I can't remember a sense of familiarity when I was in Canadian towns.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:06 PM

925 posts, read 571,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
This seems an odd view to me -Auckland is more like Montreal than Sydney? Wellington or Dunedin is more like Calgary than Hobart? I don't see it.
Comparisons with Canadian cities like Halifax NS, Fredericton NB or Charlottetown PEI would probably reveal more similarities.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Comparisons with Canadian cities like Halifax NS, Fredericton NB or Charlottetown PEI would probably reveal more similarities.
Actually I take my previous post back -Montreal and Calgary are spitting images of NZ cities, when compared to the likes of Charlottetown or Fredericton.

This is quite bizarre - how someone could compare the likes of Gisborne, Timaru, Hokitika or New Plymouth to Canadian Atlantic cities, is almost surreal.

Here's a typical winter day in my South Island city -with those deciduous trees, one feels as though one is actually in Halifax -those folks on the steps are probably just heading off for an ice skate.

Here's a shot of Wellington during winter -often called the "Fredericton of the South Pacific"

Here's Queenstown -a lot of Canadian TV programs are shot here, for the strong resemblance to Newfoundland.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-29-2018 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-29-2018, 07:05 PM

You call places like Timaru “cities”?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You call places like Timaru “cities”?
Nice deflection there fella - It's borderline by NZ standards.

There are rumours that the Anne of Greengables remake, is going to be filmed in Whangarei.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nice deflection there fella - It's borderline by NZ standards.

There are rumours that the Anne of Greengables remake, is going to be filmed in Whangarei.
Seriously, no way would I be thinking of Timaru when comparing cities across Aus, Canada and NZ. But yes, I do see some similarities between NZ and certain Canadian cities. No more or less than Australia though. Perth, Darwin, Gold Coast or Townsville donít have any close matches with NZ.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Seriously, no way would I be thinking of Timaru when comparing cities across Aus, Canada and NZ. But yes, I do see some similarities between NZ and certain Canadian cities. No more or less than Australia though. Perth, Darwin, Gold Coast or Townsville don’t have any close matches with NZ.
What Canadian cities? - I've only been to Vancouver, and it didn't feel remotely NZ to me...... although it did have sausage rolls.

Last edited by Joe90; 12-29-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand