U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM

704 posts, read 1,453,511 times

Advertisements

Which U.S. cities are most comparable to Australian cities? If you could "twin" up Australian cities with American ones, how would you do it?

I'm specifically curious which Australian city is most like Denver, CO.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:08 PM

21 posts, read 29,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Which U.S. cities are most comparable to Australian cities? If you could "twin" up Australian cities with American ones, how would you do it?

I'm specifically curious which Australian city is most like Denver, CO.

Thanks.
I don't know if any Australian citys are compareable to American citys. American (major) cities are far more populated. And secondly, (for the most part) American citys are very diverse in people, culture and food. Australia is pretty much on a one way track, while America is a network of tracks leading to many different things. kapiish??

Old 02-21-2013, 04:40 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,283,185 times
There's really no equivalent to Denver, if you mean a major city that's a mile-high in elevation and close to some of the world's best downhill skiing. You will hear people sometimes say that Perth is like San Diego, the Gold Coast is like South Beach, or that Sydney is some conglomeration of SF/LA/NYC. But these are very rough approximations which certainly don't tell the whole story.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:47 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,431,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboy_2012 View Post
I don't know if any Australian citys are compareable to American citys. American (major) cities are far more populated. And secondly, (for the most part) American citys are very diverse in people, culture and food. Australia is pretty much on a one way track, while America is a network of tracks leading to many different things. kapiish??
Australian cities are diverse in thier own right. The biggest difference is the stronger British influence in architecture in Australia compared American cities not on the East Coast. Some Australian cities have a similar vibe to Southern Californian cities.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,042,650 times
Quote:
Are you from Australia?

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,661,138 times
Quote:
Australia's cities are actually as diverse as America's most diverse cities. At least in terms of overseas born.

I would say of the many Americans I visited from LA to Boston, none really were like Australian cities, although there were obviously similarities, like the suburban, car-centric nature. Actually I'd say maybe San Diego, it was a lot like Perth. In both climate, size, feel, being so beachy. The CBD looked a lot like Perth actually. There's even a lot of gum trees imported from Australia.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:18 PM

9,331 posts, read 19,096,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Are you from Australia?
i he's a yank.

Don't you hate people who claim to be experts in countries other than their own?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM

9,331 posts, read 19,096,304 times
Quote:
Sorry obviously you don't know Oz.
I'd stick to giving opinions on Denver where you live or San Diego where you use to live.
Have you ever walked along King William St in Adelaide? Africans, Asians, South Asians, aboriginal people everywhere.
And Sydney, Melbourne, etc are even more diverse.
and the proper spelling is CAPISCE

Last edited by minibrings; 02-21-2013 at 10:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 10:37 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,661,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Sorry obviously you don't know Oz.
I'd stick to giving opinions from Denver where you live or San Diego where you use to live.
Have you ever walked along King William St in Adelaide? Africans, Asians, South Asians, aboriginal people everywhere.
And Sydney, Melbourne, etc are even more diverse.
and the proper spelling is CAPISCE
Indeed, trying to use and mispelling Italian words is the way to show how cosmopolitan you are!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:34 AM

2,377 posts, read 2,854,553 times
Brisbane reminds me of a hodge-podge of a bunch of different cities from the Carolinas. Obviously the architecture and flora are going to be different but New Farm felt like parts of Charleston. West End more like parts of Asheville. Driving around the northern suburbs sometimes feels like Charlotte or Raleigh.

The river and CBD of Brisbane are distinct - the downtowns of Australian cities are an unusual animal to me (coming from the eastern US) because they're generally really clean, dense, bustling during the day (lots of shopping) but very few people live in them - which would be like a lot of southern/western downtowns in the US but then those US downtowns are usually dominated by parking lots and aren't typically bustling during the day either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand