Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
I think the only Australians who go to the UK are anglophiles and monochists who needs em.
Some go there just for the experience of living somewhere else and widening their horizons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM

145 posts, read 260,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
I read that Australia is like Britain in the 1970s without the strikes, the power cuts and punk. Well according to this article that appeared tonight on the Guardian website anyway. Doesn't exactly sell it. Want to emigrate to Australia? Be warned

There's still quite alot of Australians around west London though and I certainly seem to come across Australians regularly in and around London.
Umm.. you do realise that the author had her typing fingers (mostly) set to satire? Have a look at her take on supermarkets. She seems to like that we have more independent retailers, and that we are less reliant on the companies that set out to monopolise.
Same with TV. She states that our TV is rubbish (it is), because there's a lot less interest in it. Australians prefer to be doing something else on the whole. I don't own a TV, I just download a few shows from OS (Misfits, Always Sunny in Philadelphia..). Commercial tv barely got a look in when I had one anyway. I mean, you would only watch commercial news/current affairs shows for the lulz

But as a person born in the UK, and having grown up here in Aus, I see loads of pluses for both countries.
Australia has goood surf, England has Newcastle United FC win-win for mine..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM

598 posts, read 955,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Some go there just for the experience of living somewhere else and widening their horizons.
I know I was just being facetious

Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
I remember when I first started working with uni aged Australians back in 1999, at that time, it seemed many of them were keen on going to Britain and doing their 2 years and hopefully staying on for more.

The ones I had worked with by 2007 though, I have noticed the attitudes had shifted over the years. Not as many keen as before to go to the UK, they seemed more interested in staying home or trying to get into the USA instead.

I think a lot of it has to do with the many Brits that immigrated in the 40's to 60's, the 3rd generation has now come from that and ties and connections with Old England have faded away.

Australia has changed over the years. I know in the motor racing industry, if you wanted a decent job up until around 2000, you had to go to Europe or the USA. Now the motor racing industry in Australia is about 10 times the size it was 20 years ago and people are able to stay home in Australia and actually have a career.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I always wondered, who were the vast majority of Brits the emigrated to Australia during the boom years (the Australia fever seems to be steadily leveling off post 2008)? Peeked around Brit expat forums and it seemed like most of the people wondering on moving there were tradesmen, very unlike the sort of Brit we get emigrating to the US which are usually the white collar sort.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I always wondered, who were the vast majority of Brits the emigrated to Australia during the boom years (the Australia fever seems to be steadily leveling off post 2008)? Peeked around Brit expat forums and it seemed like most of the people wondering on moving there were tradesmen, very unlike the sort of Brit we get emigrating to the US which are usually the white collar sort.
It all has to do with the kind of visa one can get. It is very hard for a Brit to get a blue collar visa (nigh impossible) which is why the only immigrants you see are usually white collar as that is what the H1-B and L1 are geared to. The 452 on the other hand is based on skills (whether it be blue collar or white collar) such as trade skills or accounting.

The same thing goes for Aussies. In the last couple of years it is easier for an Aussie to get to the US than it was and it is harder for them to get to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand