U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:31 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,144,896 times

Advertisements

Difference of Opinion - 12/02/2007: How do you define Australian values?

I know this transcript is from a fairly old show, but I remember little Johnny banging on about how immigrants should embrace Australian values/culture, and always thought it was a rather vague term.

Things like mateship, giving everyone a fair go, tolerance.etc...these are universal values, I don't see how Australia has any greater claim on them than any other nation. I think a lot of the myths of mateship, going back to the Anzac legend, like to portray Australian friendship as something uniquely special when the same could be said for any nation around the world.

The way I see it, Australian culture is still basically an offshoot of British culture with a bit of Irish, Italian and other immigrant culture mixed in. We have meat pies, bushrangers and Banjo Patterson, but I don't think we have a truly defined culture of our own yet.

I used to feel more protective about 'Australian culture' but now I realise most of it is a bit of a show. I mean if you talk about giving people a fair go, Australia didn't give the aborigines or immigrants a fair go for all these decades. I'm proud to be Australian, but I don't see Australia as better than anywhere else, or feel we are morally better, and I think our society is built from the contribution of immigrants from all over the world. There's precious little influence from the aboriginal culture, though. It would be nice to see more of it but it seems it's a bit too late for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM

1,093 posts, read 2,199,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I know this transcript is from a fairly old show, but I remember little Johnny banging on about how immigrants should embrace Australian values/culture, and always thought it was a rather vague term.

Things like mateship, giving everyone a fair go, tolerance.etc...these are universal values, I don't see how Australia has any greater claim on them than any other nation. I think a lot of the myths of mateship, going back to the Anzac legend, like to portray Australian friendship as something uniquely special when the same could be said for any nation around the world.

The way I see it, Australian culture is still basically an offshoot of British culture with a bit of Irish, Italian and other immigrant culture mixed in. We have meat pies, bushrangers and Banjo Patterson, but I don't think we have a truly defined culture of our own yet.

I used to feel more protective about 'Australian culture' but now I realise most of it is a bit of a show. I mean if you talk about giving people a fair go, Australia didn't give the aborigines or immigrants a fair go for all these decades. I'm proud to be Australian, but I don't see Australia as better than anywhere else, or feel we are morally better, and I think our society is built from the contribution of immigrants from all over the world. There's precious little influence from the aboriginal culture, though. It would be nice to see more of it but it seems it's a bit too late for that.
Yes, migrants had such a hard time here for all these decades . They are pretty much the majority in Sydney and it is far easier to buy sushi than meat pies here.

I fear this thread is going to turn into yet another "we Australians are so racist" self-hating, white-bashing rant. Sigh

Old 03-23-2013, 07:40 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,012,853 times
Not another one of these threads. Haven't you started about 10 threads that are all about the same?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM

No what other threads?

I was hoping for a serious discussion on this topic.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:47 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,012,853 times
Quote:
No what other threads?
Here's one. I'm not going to dig through the 1800 threads you have started to find more. Australian moral superiority

Old 03-24-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Here's one. I'm not going to dig through the 1800 threads you have started to find more. Australian moral superiority
Okay that's one other. That's really about it.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:46 AM

3,067 posts, read 3,363,892 times
Quote:

The Australian national myth is a kind of masculine and rural one and doesn't at all reflect the everyday life of most people here whatever their backgrounds. It serves to maintain a sense of national pride, but I sense we don't really have a strong identity, though we were once loyal subjects of the British Empire.

Like most of the world Australia is moving towards a global village, I think strong national identities are on the wane in general.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:10 AM

795 posts, read 1,151,461 times
Have you joined a dating website yet Trimac?

Old 03-24-2013, 03:37 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,983,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
OMG I concur. See we have things in common!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Been there done that. They discourage me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand