Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
We have ferries and buses though. I know a lot of people who take the ferry from Double Bay/Rose Bay/Watson's Bay. And the eastern suburbs isn't that big, with train stations at Bondi Junction and Edgecliff it's actually pretty well served. I went it to the city the other day for a meeting, it cost $47 for 1:10 of parking. By comparison a cab would have cost me $30 return. Cheaper parking is what's needed!
My aunty's house is on the harbour in Point Piper, so I used to walk to Edgecliff railway station, but places south of Bondi don't have any rail, nor does Manly and much of the north shore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My aunty's house is on the harbour in Point Piper, so I used to walk to Edgecliff railway station, but places south of Bondi don't have any rail, nor does Manly and much of the north shore.
When does the Eastern Suburbs end? I know people in Maroubra etc like to think they're in the East, but they're not really "Eastern Suburbs". I'd say the line is drawn at Coogee, which isn't too far by bus from Bondi Junction.

Most residents don't want a train line running through the East because it tends to bring bigger crowds and more "undesireables".

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The North Shore has a good line, it is the Northern Beaches that does not - as you pointed out Manly and beyond.
There is also a line through Ryde that ends up at Hornsby, but the burgeoning Hils District is not well covered.
I was very impressed that my son and his mates could catch a very fast train from Newcastle to Sydney Olympic Park (stopping at only the 2 major Central Coast stations), and return, during the Royal Easter Show - Sydney covers events like this famously.
Likewise, anyone living in Wollongong can get to Sydney fast as well.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The North Shore has a good line, it is the Northern Beaches that does not - as you pointed out Manly and beyond.
There is also a line through Ryde that ends up at Hornsby, but the burgeoning Hils District is not well covered.
I was very impressed that my son and his mates could catch a very fast train from Newcastle to Sydney Olympic Park (stopping at only the 2 major Central Coast stations), and return, during the Royal Easter Show - Sydney covers events like this famously.
Likewise, anyone living in Wollongong can get to Sydney fast as well.
Yes the metro network goes from Illawarra to Newcastle, pretty impressive. It also goes west to the Blue Mountains. I found Sydney's train system adequate to where I've wanted to. I've also driven a lot in Sydney and I'd prefer to take the train if I could.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Where did you live? If you live in the eastern suburbs or north shore, then the service is fairly good. If you live out west, not so much. Also, if you are travelling home during peak hour, there is a good chance you will have to stand.

I think the interurban trains are quite good - I did commute from the central coast for a while and always got a seat, however, I did get the train into Sydney at the latter end of peak hour and, in regards to getting the train home, I would go to Central and rather than rush for a train about to leave where I would have to stand, I would often get a later train if it meant I could get a seat.
Apologies for the slow reply to this post.

I used to live in Bellevue Hill and my commute home was from Town Hall to Bondi Junction, but I usually always nabbed a seat on the way home. The mornings I would take a bus into the city.

Admittedly I only used a fraction of the lines - sometimes I would travel up on the northern line to see friends and seldom had issues.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:50 PM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
When does the Eastern Suburbs end? I know people in Maroubra etc like to think they're in the East, but they're not really "Eastern Suburbs". I'd say the line is drawn at Coogee, which isn't too far by bus from Bondi Junction.

Most residents don't want a train line running through the East because it tends to bring bigger crowds and more "undesireables".
The Eastern Suburbs would include areas like Maroubra, Mascot, Eastlakes, etc. It's basically bounded by Botany Bay at the south and Princes Highway to the west.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:31 PM

4,216 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
The Eastern Suburbs would include areas like Maroubra, Mascot, Eastlakes, etc. It's basically bounded by Botany Bay at the south and Princes Highway to the west.
I guess it depends on who you ask. Those suburbs are generally considered to be the "South-Eastern" suburbs.

South-Eastern Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 PM

24 posts, read 41,416 times
I was planning to go Sydney this may. Will definitely use the railway system for going to different places after reading this.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:16 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,183 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on who you ask. Those suburbs are generally considered to be the "South-Eastern" suburbs.

South-Eastern Sydney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Actually if you read the whole article and the related Eastern Suburbs article, those suburbs are part of the Eastern Suburbs but are also sub-categorised as being South-Eastern Sydney. Kind of like the Forest Park thing where really it's part of the Northern Beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand