Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 4,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

<snip>

Yeppers 1867; that's when Martians came down and dropped Canada off into that empty void with no printed name on it the U.S. had previously tried and failed to invade.

Everyone is calling it Canada because before 1867 it had previously been called Upper and Lower Canada but nevertheless, still Canada.

So if one desired to describe that land mass immediately to the north of the U.S. that the U.S. tried to invade prior to 1867, what would one more accurately call it for future reference.
Well, for what it's worth, before there was an Upper and Lower Canada, the land mass now known as Canada was simply referred to as 'British North America'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaestor View Post
Well, for what it's worth, before there was an Upper and Lower Canada, the land mass now known as Canada was simply referred to as 'British North America'.
Actually........

My french is pretty rusty, but as far as I can tell, it says "Map of Canada or New France"

This one says "Part of Canada or the New France"

Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
I think the "step child" feeling australia or canada might feel towards the UK is what fueled the american revolution in the first place.. you have to remember.. the american colonies were established as permanent settlements LONG before canada and australia.. we were seen as a cash cow to the empire.. shut up and keep sending that tobacco, cotton, and spices...with ZERO representation in parliament back in london. So imagine being called a british citizen, but not really being treated as one..obviously the population was split with loyalists as well. Come 19th century and at least you were given the option to form your own nation by a vote...American colonies were not given that option in the 18th century...It's turned out for the best though.. and I really think that the bloody american revolution helped in softening views on the colonies britain did still have.. allowing for your more graceful independence...the whole commonwealth thing is a loose string that indeed is of an era gone by..but many older people in Australia tend to be more in favor of the monarchy vs forming an independent republic..perhaps things will change soon.. 1901 is only a couple of generations back.. and time changes everything even sentiments.. I couldn't fathom the idea of calling someone queen or king.. or even a head of state and they only step foot in the country once every 10 years.. I'd be like.. that b**ch needs to go...but I'm american so that makes me bias i suppose.. nevertheless Australia is a great country with a bright future and no matter what.. share a common ancestry with all of us english speaking nations...that makes us all family right?

Old 06-02-2013, 11:22 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think the "step child" feeling australia or canada might feel towards the UK is what fueled the american revolution in the first place.. you have to remember.. the american colonies were established as permanent settlements LONG before canada and australia.. we were seen as a cash cow to the empire.. shut up and keep sending that tobacco, cotton, and spices...with ZERO representation in parliament back in london. So imagine being called a british citizen, but not really being treated as one..obviously the population was split with loyalists as well. Come 19th century and at least you were given the option to form your own nation by a vote...American colonies were not given that option in the 18th century...It's turned out for the best though.. and I really think that the bloody american revolution helped in softening views on the colonies britain did still have.. allowing for your more graceful independence...the whole commonwealth thing is a loose string that indeed is of an era gone by..but many older people in Australia tend to be more in favor of the monarchy vs forming an independent republic..perhaps things will change soon.. 1901 is only a couple of generations back.. and time changes everything even sentiments.. I couldn't fathom the idea of calling someone queen or king.. or even a head of state and they only step foot in the country once every 10 years.. I'd be like.. that b**ch needs to go...but I'm american so that makes me bias i suppose.. nevertheless Australia is a great country with a bright future and no matter what.. share a common ancestry with all of us english speaking nations...that makes us all family right?
And who is that I see on the news in Arlington giving a proper salute not looking like he is waving to some tart on the footpath, why it's Prince Harry.
For a country biased against the monarchy you are rather confused, why invite members of our Royal family to the USA ?
You want Australia to drop democracy and take up the USA system where the ideal of one person one vote of equal value does not apply .
So how many more members of the Bush royal family will you put in the white house ?
Family, hmm, do you believe there is more Americans with British extraction than those with a German background ? and no Germans are not Anglo-Saxons.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:27 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
And who is that I see on the news in Arlington giving a proper salute not looking like he is waving to some tart on the footpath, why it's Prince Harry.
For a country biased against the monarchy you are rather confused, why invite members of our Royal family to the USA ?
You want Australia to drop democracy and take up the USA system where the ideal of one person one vote of equal value does not apply .
So how many more members of the Bush royal family will you put in the white house ?
Family, hmm, do you believe there is more Americans with British extraction than those with a German background ? and no Germans are not Anglo-Saxons.
I've never said australia or canada or anyone should adopt anything..
as for inviting your royal family to the US.. well they are your head of state aren't they? head's of state visit other nations and other nations welcome them especially if you consider them your friend? I think you've misunderstood my post...
you're sounding like a bitter betty... just saying

Old 06-04-2013, 02:14 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think your analysis is pretty much correct. For example, the British reaction to the Eureka stockade, both the rebellion itself and the widespread public support for it at the time, was surely influenced by their experience in North America.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:14 PM

30 posts, read 70,548 times
The USA and Australia are very close allies and friends and this is great for both of them.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,389 times
Americas closest allies rank.
1. Canada
2. UK
3. Israel
4. South Korea
5. Japan
6. Australia
7. New Zealand
8. France
9. Germany
10. Spain

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM

4,220 posts, read 4,887,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
1. Canada
2. UK
3. Israel
4. South Korea
5. Japan
6. Australia
7. New Zealand
8. France
9. Germany
10. Spain
You left out "in my opinion".

Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
1. Canada
2. UK
3. Israel
4. South Korea
5. Japan
6. Australia
7. New Zealand
8. France
9. Germany
10. Spain
I'd read up on the history of the ANZUS alliance before placing NZ at 7, particularly the events of the 1980s that saw that country "ejected" from the arrangements. See here: http://scholar.harvard.edu/files/amy...alinac_fpa.pdf

Last edited by Richard1098; 06-19-2013 at 10:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand