Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 03:11 AM

124 posts, read 196,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Australia is part of the commonwealth, if a member is under threat it is a given you will be there if asked, I can't imagine why the commonwealth members need to write a agreement for the obvious.
They didn't care when the Japs attacked. The USA saved our bacon then and we are forever indebted to them for it (and rightfully so).

The closer we align ourselves with the US the better in my opinion. They are our best line of defence should the poo hit the fan imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 06:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,013,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

And that last fact is key. While there are cultural differences between the states, they all speak English. It does not matter if its an old colonial state on the Atlantic like Virginia (named after Elizabeth I) or a newer Pacific coast state like California (where they protect their "Victorian" houses), they all know the stories of Robin Hood, King Arthur and the Round Table, Shakespeare, HG Wells, JRR Tolkien, Sherlock Holmes, Charles Dickens, Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and the lives of the Royal Tudors. Their kids learn songs like "London Bridge is falling down" and "Ring around the Rosie" (I know I did!).

The United States also traces its political history to Magna Carta in 1215. I remember learning this in school, although there was little mention of what Magna Carta actually says. Interestingly the United States and Australia each have a copy of Magna Carta from the year 1297.

Magna Carta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (in the USA)
Magna Carta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (perception in America)
This would apply to the Anglosphere as a whole. The links between Australia/NZ and the UK are a lot more recent and tangible (e.g. demographics).

Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 PM

159 posts, read 263,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Fusion Canada,Aus, NZ, and the UK are all part of the commonwealth, we are family which is a deeper relationship than friends. We were all fighting Hitler 3 years before the US while they just profited form selling supplies.

You have to be careful with polls, they can be easily manipulated and I would describe "theguardian" as a sensationalist rag.
wow noticed you wrote this in english and not in german..... your welcome!!!!!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:47 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Train Driver View Post
They didn't care when the Japs attacked. The USA saved our bacon then and we are forever indebted to them for it (and rightfully so).

The closer we align ourselves with the US the better in my opinion. They are our best line of defence should the poo hit the fan imo.
Interesting, you believe the yanks are the ones who stopped the Japs on the Kokoda trail ?
The only reason the USA joined the tiff was that they were attacked at Pearl Harbour, remember Australia had been fighting the Germans since 1939.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM

3,795 posts, read 2,989,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I'm not sure if we should be flattered or saddened that the British army considers Australians worthy of cannon fodder.

I guess when you have your own air bases in the UK, you don't really care whether or not you can join their army.

And what's the deal with the Kiwis always mentioning the war and military service?
This is probably more a relic of when Australia blindly followed Britain into WW1 and WW2, into wars that it had no interest in, and were fuelled by propoganda at the time of supporting the Mother Country.
I doubt that Aussies still think that way.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,880,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Interesting, you believe the yanks are the ones who stopped the Japs on the Kokoda trail ?
Well it wasn't the Brits. Britain decided not to defend Singapore or the Malay peninsula, to leave Australia high and dry and open to invasion from the Japanese then, when Curtin tried to pull Australian troops back from Europe to defend their own country, Churchill deliberately delayed their return. With friends (sorry family) like that...

That about sums up my interpretation of the Commonwealth.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,840,005 times
The UK had its own country to defend and the war in mainland Europe was harsh, deadly and important ....... what would you have the UK do?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:37 PM

4,201 posts, read 4,880,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The UK had its own country to defend and the war in mainland Europe was harsh, deadly and important ....... what would you have the UK do?
Australian troops returning from the Middle East were delayed in Sri Lanka by Churchill because he wanted to use them in the defense of India, even as Australia came under direct attack from the Japanese. The UK had also promised to defend Singapore because so many Australian troops were fighting to defend Britain and Europe.

If they couldn't defend Singapore, they should have released Australian troops immediately. The entire defense strategy, even before the war, had been based on assurances that Singapore would be impregnable. In truth, Churchill wanted to use British troops in Singapore to defend India, not the UK. And Australia's interest became secondary to saving the "Jewel of the Empire".

I do remember my grandmother telling me that before the fall of Singapore every evening the ABC would finish its broadcast with God Save the Queen, after the fall of Singapore it would finish its broadcast with Waltzing Matilda.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:11 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,232,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
This would apply to the Anglosphere as a whole. The links between Australia/NZ and the UK are a lot more recent and tangible (e.g. demographics).
Totally agree with you but I was trying to reply to someone who asked that if 37 out of the 50 US states came about after Independence, what links to do they have with Britain, if any at all? Its a good question.

For example, if a new state in Australia was created out of a older one, lets say New England became independent of New South Wales, would it still have links with Britain even though it came into existence after Australian Independence? I say it would because even though its a new state, the people have not changed.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:09 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,008,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Tell that to the people of Utah where only one county does not have a majority of people with English ancestry..
Source please? Besides UT has 2.8million compared to 300+ for the entire country..

Also what about AZ, NM, CA, ID, WA, OR, HI, AK, etc. etc. etc.

Last edited by minibrings; 04-09-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand