Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 11:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,686,419 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what would be the type of architecture is most representative and uniquely Australian. If I had to choose one, It would be the terrace house:

Although they were considered as inferior housing and just stock to house the poor, they have stood the test of time and many are still around today (originally built in the 1800s)

What do you think is most representative of Australian architecture?
Attached Thumbnails
Unique Australian architecture?-terrace1.jpg   Unique Australian architecture?-terraces2.jpg   Unique Australian architecture?-terrace.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 02:39 PM

145 posts, read 259,151 times
I love the terrace houses, but they would be bottom of my list in terms of unique Australian architecture. They were an English 'import' and as you said, designed to pile in workers close to where they were needed (docks, abattoirs, industrial areas etc).

Sydney in particular is a great example of imported architecture - from the terraces, to the English style grandeur of the North shore and Eastern Suburbs, to the Californian bungalows that populate so many suburbs. Even those horrible housing commission towers in Redfern and Maroubra etc (dunno if they are still there?) were a knock-off of the council flats in English cities.

For mine, the only 'unique' Aus architecture is the 'Queenslander', as it was purpose built for its environment.

High-set to allow cool breezes underneath, large windows and doors (most houses had doors lined up, like a spine to allow cool air to flow thru unhindered), large overhanging eaves and bullnoses to protect from direct sun, and of course... the wraparound verandahs..
If you've ever lived in one of these beautiful houses, you'll know what I mean

Old 04-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
I love the terrace houses, but they would be bottom of my list in terms of unique Australian architecture. They were an English 'import' and as you said, designed to pile in workers close to where they were needed (docks, abattoirs, industrial areas etc).

Sydney in particular is a great example of imported architecture - from the terraces, to the English style grandeur of the North shore and Eastern Suburbs, to the Californian bungalows that populate so many suburbs. Even those horrible housing commission towers in Redfern and Maroubra etc (dunno if they are still there?) were a knock-off of the council flats in English cities.

For mine, the only 'unique' Aus architecture is the 'Queenslander', as it was purpose built for its environment.

If you've ever lived in one of these beautiful houses, you'll know what I mean
Hi
I lived in a Queenslander, and they are beautiful. Very few left that haven't been raised and built underneath or had the verandah enclosed.

I once showed pics of Sydney terraces to English people, thinking they would relate to them or feel familiar with their design. Quite the opposite in fact, they were very surprised and saw them as very unusual designs, not English at all. That's when I figured that they were a very Australian design.

I agree about the importing of architecture generally though.

The problem with these older designs (terraces/Queenslanders) is that they are generally boiling in summer and freezing in winter

Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,832,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
I agree. Terrace housing exists through most of Europe and even some of the older US cities.

I live in a terrace, actually some of those pics tropical posted up are very close to where I live. Most terraces are gentrified these days, which some of those pics don't really capture.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:47 PM

Actually I should have been more specific. Being only 200-something years old, there isn't going to be much architecture (if any) that is purely 'Australian'. Even the Queenslander was an adaptation of houses that colonists saw in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. I guess it would be more accurate to say that the Australian adaptations of Terraces and Queenslanders result in very unique and local styles.

As for the pics, the first one is in George St, Redfern and the second (Im guessing) is Harris St, Ultimo/Pyrmont.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,955,659 times
How about a bluestone cottage?

Old 04-08-2013, 07:48 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,831,141 times
I think of the 'Federation style' houses of the very early 1900s (around the time of Federation) typified by their wide, generous verandas.

Our terrace houses are quite different to what you'll find in Britain.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,943,092 times
Australia's unique architecture isn't really in our houses, but our public buildings. From our colonial town halls, to more modern stuff - like the Sydney opera house.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 AM

991 posts, read 1,762,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Australia's unique architecture isn't really in our houses, but our public buildings. From our colonial town halls, to more modern stuff - like the Sydney opera house.
Actually a uniquely Australian architectural style is Federation Architecture. It existed around the turn of the century and whilst based on English and American is a style unique to Australia.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM

24 posts, read 41,226 times
Sydney Opera house is the most unique Australian architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand