Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,478,199 times

Advertisements

I would take to the streets in protest, if an attempt to do away with cash was made. I wouldn't like the increased control it would give to government. The loss of convenience would also be a big issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,277,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I would take to the streets in protest, if an attempt to do away with cash was made. I wouldn't like the increased control it would give to government. The loss of convenience would also be a big issue.
An article about moves in Sweden phasing out physical currency. And another article about the movement.

Sweden does many transactions electronically, but Sweden is still circulating SEK9626 per capita = NZD$1722 . So Sweden is still circulating roughly twice as much cash as New Zealand : NZD$928 per capita (not factoring in cost of living).

Sweden's largest banknote 1000 kronor = NZD$179 is still circulating at 2.25 banknotes per capita. The central bank of Sweden has reduced the number of 1000 kronor notes by 15% last year and not increased the quantity of smaller notes to make up the difference. If that doesn't seem like a big decrease, remember that nearly every nation in the world increase their supply of big notes every year. Sweden has been reducing their currency supply since 2007.

Starting in October 2015 Sweden will release their latest generation of notes and coins. Right now the 1000 kronor denomination is not scheduled to be discontinued, but it is not clear how many will be produced.

Since NZ uses even less currency than the Nordic countries, I think the same push could happen there as well. NZ is scheduled to release a new series of banknotes in 2014, but the changes will be relatively modest.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 04-30-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 02:37 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,478,199 times
Yeah maybe, but I've never heard it mentioned (doing away with cash). I think any move to do so, would result in almost universal opposition.

NZ is just a very electronic transfer orientated country. I've had a card since the late 80's and rarely use anything else. I've always got a wad of cash, stashed away though.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM

14,613 posts, read 17,277,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think any move to do so, would result in almost universal opposition.
Generally, government make changes to currency without a vote from their people. In almost all cases the people would vote down change. Only Denmark put conversion to the Euro up for vote, and it was voted down. UK and Sweden have made government decision not to switch currencies.

Given the large decrease in the 1000 kronor notes in circulation, the government of Sweden may simply elect not produce any in the next series. (1000 SEK = NZD$180 ). The Financial Sector Union of Sweden (Swedish: Finansförbundet) , a trade union with a membership of 33,000, is pushing to eliminate cash altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand