U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM

3,131 posts, read 4,549,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Americans do that question thing too, well at least some of them.
The rising inflection is pretty rampant here, especially among young women. Think its yet another thing to hate about the "Valley Girl" accent that spread into everyday American speech patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Once when I was in Idaho in the US someone said to me... "You people from back east....." I didn't quite know how to respond to that.
Some people in eastern New England (Boston) have a non-rhotic accent and drop their "R"s much the same way Aussies do. The old "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" business. Maybe that's what they heard and got confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 10:05 AM

655 posts, read 542,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Lol cultural cringe much?
Not this time. Just plain aversion to noise. Not that I'm immune to, or even ashamed of, the ol' Cringe.

C'mon. Admit it. When you hear Aussies inflating our military achievements, you're a little embarrassed. Especially if the Accent is concurrently paper-cutting your eardrums.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM

285 posts, read 602,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It's all in our heads.

Personally i think one of the worst accents a girl could have is Korean , my wife's is ok, but our current flat mates accent is awful.
Some of my relatives are Koreans who learned their English from Australian instructors. There's something about an Australian accent coming out of a Korean mouth that is mind-boggling. They don't sound pissed off; it just sounds more like they're channeling somebody.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,354,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
Not this time. Just plain aversion to noise. Not that I'm immune to, or even ashamed of, the ol' Cringe.

C'mon. Admit it. When you hear Aussies inflating our military achievements, you're a little embarrassed. Especially if the Accent is concurrently paper-cutting your eardrums.
Its a pretty universal phenomenon that most people when in their own country don't notice accents, its people from other countries that have accents. What's your background?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:43 PM

7,380 posts, read 13,106,442 times
Has Olivia Newton John ever sounded pissed off?
I don't think so.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM

359 posts, read 548,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Has Olivia Newton John ever sounded pissed off?
I don't think so.

Born in England. This saved her thank goodness.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:44 AM

655 posts, read 542,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Its a pretty universal phenomenon that most people when in their own country don't notice accents, its people from other countries that have accents. What's your background?
Sydney, right to the marrow.

It's something about our diction and intonation that sets my teeth on edge. Not going to make excuses, but I know, even amongst Australians, that I'm not alone. Worse, it's not even fixable. Being raised here will taint you forever, like the Dark Side.

Of course there's a spectrum, and the destiny of Shrieking Public Transport Racist is an avoidable one.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 1,470 times
Hate it

Last edited by Larryfulmer; 10-18-2018 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 10-18-2018, 09:04 PM

6,807 posts, read 3,264,776 times
Obviously I don't notice it, it just sounds normal to me. The "asking a question" thing is something I have heard before from foreigners, but again not noticeable or obvious to me. I dont think the accent makes us sound "dumb", you could say that about many accents across the world.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:02 AM

15,117 posts, read 12,125,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Would you agree that the normal Aussie accent in Sydney sounds quite gruff & unrefined. It's hard to speak kindly, its as if it sounds the person talking is always pissed off, even if they're not!

Compared with the urban (normal) American accent where its easier to reflect the certain emotion in the words..
You think...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand