Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:54 PM

134 posts, read 191,804 times

Advertisements

I'm an Aussie and personally feel that New Zealand has a more British feel to it, but what is your opinion on this issue? what do you feel is right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
NZ -climate is closer, and scenery to a lesser degree.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:22 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
OZ is too multi-cultural to feel British, migrants from all over the world are shaping modern Australia. In the south island of NZ it would definitely feel more British however the North Island is where most of the migration and Maori culture is most prevalent and again is too multi-cultural to feel British. I feel people in the South Island are quite suspicious of anyone not from Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales. These nations seem to be the preferred people here however with growing migration all over the country that will change which is good to see. It's crazy how fast these two nations are evolving their identity. Australia is almost unrecognizable from it's colonial past and New Zealand is getting there aswell

Old 11-03-2016, 10:37 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy234 View Post
OZ is too multi-cultural to feel British
I'm sorry but Britain is more multicultural than Aus and has been for several decades. The idea that Aus and NZ evolve from a "colonial" past and Britain stays the same is pretty ignorant.

Desmond's

Goodness Gracious Me

Old 11-03-2016, 02:39 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
I have only visited Australia and as i've said on another thread it did not look British to me.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:04 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm sorry but Britain is more multicultural than Aus and has been for several decades. The idea that Aus and NZ evolve from a "colonial" past and Britain stays the same is pretty ignorant.
If you look objective statistics, you'll notice that Australia's foreign born population is significantly more than the UK, and has always been, and that those migrants have always com from a range of countries across the globe. Even in the mid 1800s there were quite large non European populations in Australia, along with two very distinct indigenous populations.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:06 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
As a several time visitor, I would say that neither "feels" British. Yes, NZ is greener (in the North Island) but the towns and cities look and feel quite different from the countryside and cities of UK. Of course culturally and ethnically (in the past) there were many links and ties, but both Australia and New Zealand feel unique and unto themselves.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:53 PM

269 posts, read 199,498 times
[quote=Pueblofuerte;46049993]I'm sorry but Britain is more multicultural than Aus and has been for several decades. The idea that Aus and NZ evolve from a "colonial" past and Britain stays the same is pretty ignorant.

Actually NZ and Australia are actually far more multicultural than the UK , with both having a foreign born population of around 26% compared to 13% in the UK

Old 11-04-2016, 12:09 AM

2,926 posts, read 1,307,494 times
Quote:

Desmond's

Goodness Gracious Me

Britain is certainly multi-cultural, it definitely wouldn't be more so than Australia however i'm pointing out how Australia and New Zealand are evolving their own identity separate from it's British roots, this is what i think the OP means when they ask how British do NZ and OZ feel, perhaps asking do these countries feel culturally British given that for most of their existence British culture and identity had the most influence there. Both NZ and OZ are new countries and are only now starting to develop their own identities, because migration is from a diverse spectrum by the time they settle on a fully independent identity it will look nothing like the UK.

I'd also go as far to say that OZ and NZ would look more like the US than UK especially with the way homes are built, remember that Australia and New Zealand only became focused on for colonization after the British lost the Untied States so the way they had built towns and cities in the US is similar to Australia and New Zealand.

Last edited by Paddy234; 11-04-2016 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 12:10 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
[quote=Longaotian;46057703]
Quote:

Actually NZ and Australia are actually far more multicultural than the UK , with both having a foreign born population of around 26% compared to 13% in the UK
Both countries are also less white than the UK, and in Australia's case nearly twice as likely to speak a primary language that is not English.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-04-2016 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand