Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM

4,226 posts, read 4,889,720 times

Advertisements

And I thought Australia was parochial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
lol certainly no conspiracy and that excuse was spoon fed to you guys to try and save face.

The night in question where NZ entered the top 10, the format as you put it suddenly changed from the previous nights where they showed 10 countries plus Australia (the top 10 plus Australia) . It was also admitted by channel 9 Australians did not want to be reminded of NZ success on Aus talk back radio.

I think its amusing and shows Aussies are largely carrying a chip on their shoulders concerning NZ, clearly not our imaginations
This is part of the attitude I was referring to in a previous post. Kiwis in Aus really do stand out.

See 10 slots: http://www.foxtel.com.au/london2012/...le/default.htm

And another: http://www.abc.net.au/olympics/2008/results/

Last edited by Richard1098; 06-26-2013 at 12:28 AM..

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM

4,226 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
This is part of the attitude I was referring to in a previous post. Kiwis in Aus really do stand out.
Well, yeah. They always have seagulls on their shoulder for some reason.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well, yeah. They always have seagulls on their shoulder for some reason.
Come to think of it, next Olympics we Aussies better keep a pretty close eye on how the Canadians, French and South Koreans present the medal tally on TV. They're probably trying to shelter their frail national egos in light of Australia's magnificent achievements.......

Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Let it keep it that way, they don't know (or do they?) how fortunate they are, the Kiwis!
Unfortunately world population numbers keep on surging (UNO forecasts a close to 10 bn population by mid century). If fear some millions may wash ashore New Zealand in the coming decades!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post

Yea I don't largely agree, I think real Maori decent Kiwis stand out a country mile, I seldom seem to get made.

Yesterday I was speaking to a engineer from a large vendor we deal with and he stated he has only been in Bris 3 years, so I asked where he was from..... Adelaide. I said yep only been here a year and a half myself, so he asked whe I was from so I said NZ. He stated thought I detected a slight accent but wasn't sure.

I had been dealing with him for 3 days, certainly didn't shove it down his throat, so I think you are a little sensitive. And No I dont drive around with a silver fern on my car.

In forums sure, stick it to the Aussies :P

Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 AM

65 posts, read 98,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kather41 View Post
It seems to me like it's the most beautiful country in the world. I've been only once and was blown away, never have I seen such natural beauty, other than maybe in Japan.
I am going to be honest with you New Zealand has high unemployment the media in New Zealand does not report on that Youth suicides are at a all time high and people reduced to begging in the streets:

Jobless rate in capital higher than average - Unemployment - NZ Herald News

Also I really suggest people check out this blog,it even shows migrants and locals having a hard time finding a job in New Zealand and even making ends meet:

Migrant Tales – Get Out of New Zealand or Die on the Street | E2NZ.org

Old 07-01-2013, 03:43 AM

Also I like to add living and touring New Zealand is very different

Old 07-01-2013, 03:50 AM

Another one I like to add is that its very normal for parents in New Zealand to flee the family courts too:

Growing number of parents in custody cases flee country - Business News | TVNZ

Turkish Citizen Tijen Kizildere Plans Hunger Strike To Leave New Zealand With Her Child | E2NZ.org

Old 07-01-2013, 06:06 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
Another one I like to add is that its very normal for parents in New Zealand to flee the family courts too:

Growing number of parents in custody cases flee country - Business News | TVNZ

um not sure about "normal" this type of stuff happens everywhere, its only like 130 cases last year according to the top article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Alex View Post
I am going to be honest with you New Zealand has high unemployment

New Zealand unemployment rate is not high at all not sure where you are getting that, its below the OECD average and below the US. Its higher than the NZ long term average.

That said "Headline" unemployment rates are hard to judge between countries, many countries define employment differently which can also influence the "Employment participation rate'. Then there are some interesting anomalies, over the last 10+ years Aus governments have allowed unemployment stacking on the disability benefit (now a massive 800,000+), this allows the "Headline" unemployment rate to look a LOT better, the NZ government was forced to reverse something very similar some years ago when the local media caught on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand