Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,737,055 times

Advertisements

OK, there are 4 AFL teams based in NSW and Qld, but only 1 NRL team outside that code's two home states. And, the average crowd at an AFL game is about 33,000, while the NRL only manages to get around 16,000.

So...how long before NSW and Qld become AFL states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:03 PM

3,764 posts, read 2,971,114 times
Won't happen, NSW and Qld still have a Rugby League culture throughout their states (with the possible exception of the Riverina area in southern NSW), as well as in Canberra.
The games are very different, and if you grow up watching and playing one code- whether that be the Rugby codes or Aussie rules, it is almost impossible to embrace the other.
I can tell you in my area -at ""grass roots level"" , there is Rugby League first and daylight 2nd.
Rugby League still draws massive crowds to Semi Finals, Grand Finals and the showcase State of Origin Series - that alone is never going to make way for the AFL to dominate in our states.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM

359 posts, read 656,923 times
Rugby can be got rid of through a federal referendum. The question would be should Australian rules be the only professional football played in Australia.

Should be carried by a majority of states and a majority of the people.

Then things will be real good then. At this stage both the opposition leader and the prime minister come from the unenlightened states so it will be a few years yet I guess.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,471,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
Rugby can be got rid of through a federal referendum. The question would be should Australian rules be the only professional football played in Australia.

Should be carried by a majority of states and a majority of the people.

Then things will be real good then. At this stage both the opposition leader and the prime minister come from the unenlightened states so it will be a few years yet I guess.
You seem to be forgetting that more than half Australia's population live in New South Wales or Queensland

Old 07-07-2013, 05:49 AM

359 posts, read 656,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
You seem to be forgetting that more than half Australia's population live in New South Wales or Queensland
And your forgetting which way the boat people are going to vote. The Riverina votes Australian rules and how many Victorian ex pats are on the Gold Coast? The numbers may be tight, I'll give you that, but with a bit of auskick outside the northern state polling booths, as a nation we will become one. Increase family tax benefit A in Western Sydney if the referendum succeeds, bobs your uncle.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,471,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
And your forgetting which way the boat people are going to vote. The Riverina votes Australian rules and how many Victorian ex pats are on the Gold Coast? The numbers may be tight, I'll give you that, but with a bit of auskick outside the northern state polling booths, as a nation we will become one. Increase family tax benefit A in Western Sydney if the referendum succeeds, bobs your uncle.
I was kidding mate, if such a vote ever occured id vote AFL myself (it's truly Australian) and im a regular at the lions games (it helps when you live within walking distance of the stadium). I agree with Derke however, yes AFL has done brilliantly expanding it's game north at a professional level, at the grass routes level however, it all rugby, and the only form of football I could ever see over taking at this stage is the one played with a round ball

Old 07-07-2013, 06:49 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,577,166 times
Even though Aussie Rules is gaining popularity at both a spectator and participation levels to an extent in the northern states, it's unlikely that it will ever overtake the rugby codes in the foreseeable future.

Actually rugby league is fairly strong here in WA in terms of historical grassroots participation it's been the strongest of the states outside the traditional heartland and spectator interest seems to be there with over 20,000 at the NRL game tonight. Having said that I can't imagine the NRL ever overtaking the AFL here either.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:06 AM

3,190 posts, read 4,577,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
The games are very different, and if you grow up watching and playing one code- whether that be the Rugby codes or Aussie rules, it is almost impossible to embrace the other.
It would be interesting to know how many people follow both codes with passion, my Dad was a mad League supporter having played it at school despite growing up in Perth but wasn't particularly interested in the other code. I've always had a much greater interest in Aussie Rules though. The NRL have been behind the eight ball really in terms of expansion in non-rugby states and the split in the competition in the 90's probably didn't help it's cause.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:24 AM

44 posts, read 59,478 times
NRL? I'd think about catching up to soccer first.

GWS

WSW

Old 07-07-2013, 03:50 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,078,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
OK, there are 4 AFL teams based in NSW and Qld, but only 1 NRL team outside that code's two home states. And, the average crowd at an AFL game is about 33,000, while the NRL only manages to get around 16,000.

So...how long before NSW and Qld become AFL states?
Far Nth QLD do like their AFL.

Gold Coast have the best player in the land, & GWS may have the 2nd best soon enough
Won't be surprised if GWS actually go after Nic Natnui though - a local western syd boy
Both sides have had the pick of the best young talent for the past 5 years, do they've been given every opportunity to have success, plus a greater salary cap.

The AFL are also investing in Auskick in the area around western Sydney...

Basically AFL have a plan for expansion, league seem to constantly be playing catch up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand