Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,439,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
Lol.. I think Op might be trolling a bit? BigRooter? Comparing Red Hill to NJ?
Come in spinner...
Hey come on now this bloke looks pretty ghetto

Kenmore Residents Criticise Council's Development Approval Process

Notice how median strip requires fertiliser and water, that their is not enough trees to shade the entire road on a hot summers day, the single lock up garage, and the poor guy clearly cannot afford an appointment at advanced hair studios.

Looks a lot like an undercover police car on the corner as well, no doubt preparing for yet another drug bust in the area.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-08-2013 at 03:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM

163 posts, read 247,874 times
I agree that there are a lot of ghetto areas, and not just the two villages or suburbs I named. Yes, I saw Kenmore Hills, Pullenvale, Brookfield and many others, and I also saw Paddington, and other suburbs. You don't really see these types of houses in wealthy or even normal middle class areas in NJ or LA and in fact it reminded me of the Imperial Courts/South Central and other areas of LA, with badly tended lawns, chain fences, graffiti everywhere, people in loud cars driving at excessive speeds, and desolate streets devoid of pedestrians. Where are the people?

The last time I saw the map (flying from Brisbane), Brisbane was in the North Eastern part of Australia in Queensland.

It did strike me as strange that people were describing these places as wealthy areas. I was very surprised.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRooter View Post
I agree that there are a lot of ghetto areas, and not just the two villages or suburbs I named. Yes, I saw Kenmore Hills, Pullenvale, Brookfield and many others, and I also saw Paddington, and other suburbs. You don't really see these types of houses in wealthy or even normal middle class areas in NJ or LA and in fact it reminded me of the Imperial Courts/South Central and other areas of LA, with badly tended lawns, chain fences, graffiti everywhere, people in loud cars driving at excessive speeds, and desolate streets devoid of pedestrians. Where are the people?

The last time I saw the map (flying from Brisbane), Brisbane was in the North Eastern part of Australia in Queensland.

It did strike me as strange that people were describing these places as wealthy areas. I was very surprised.
At the pub, out the back shooting drugs, inside manufacturing them, attending underground fight clubs, spraying Graffiti, Driving Street Cars, and just generally doing what the normal people of Brisbane do.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-08-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
At the pub, out the back shooting drugs, inside manufacturing them, attending underground fight clubs, spraying Graffiti, Driving Street Cars, and just generally doing what the normal people of Brisbane do.
I wouldn't doubt that some of that is true.

These were so called 'exclusive' or wealthy areas. They reminded me of Watts or Imperial Courts, LA.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt that some of that is true.

These were so called 'exclusive' or wealthy areas. They reminded me of Watts or Imperial Courts, LA.
Yeh Yeh we Know,

Old 07-08-2013, 07:52 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:

You wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley! Look how he has white socks pulled up "Gangsta' Style".

Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,733,160 times
Quote:

Perhaps your friend was pulling your leg a little, or were they a southerner displaying a little bit of distain for his northern countrymen? When I was a kid, a lot of people in my part of the world (NSW) used to refer to Queensland as "the deep North". Queensland jokes were almost as popular as Tasmanian jokes.

Those suburbs look like typical inner city suburbs; mostly rental houses full of students, early-mid 20 transients who want to be close to the night life of the inner city, or young professional DINKs who work long hours and haven't yet decided its time to buy a home out in the suburbs yet.

Brisbane's wealthier folk must live somewhere.....

Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,733,160 times
Quote:

He does look pretty spooky, though

Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:

Australias Mainland East coast goes from Cape York Peninsula at Lattitude 10.68 South, down to the southern most point of the mainland very close to Apollo Bay in Victoria at 38.75 South,

The mid point is 24.72 south, which is somewhere between Gladstone and Bunbaberg in Queensland about 500km, North of Brisbane (Lattitude 27.46 South). Even if you extend the Australian Coast Line down to Hobart which is very close the the southern most point of Tasmania Brisbane is Still in the Southern half of the Continent.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-09-2013 at 02:51 AM..

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Australias Mainland East coast goes from Cape York Peninsula at Lattitude 10.68 South, down to the southern most point of the mainland very close to Apollo Bay in Victoria at 38.75 South,

The mid point is 24.72 south, which is somewhere between Gladstone and Bunbaberg in Queensland about 500km, North of Brisbane (Lattitude 27.46 South). Even if you extend the Australian Coast Line down to Hobart which is very close the the southern most point of Tasmania Brisbane is Still in the Southern half of the Continent.
OK wonderful.

The so called wealthy suburbs still look ghetto, however, which is what this thread is about, not whether Australias most north eastern capital city is where I said it was.

The chain link fences and graffiti reminded me of skid row in NJ or Watts and South LA. That's not what I was expecting. Where are your pedestrians? I stayed there day and night and saw little diffeene - it just looked bad and desolate and desperate.

As I look at the map, it is the most north eastern capital of all of the capital cities of your states, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand