Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I thought M1 meant the whole Australian national system and network?
Something the Feds used to try and show they are somehow more relevant than the State governments.
The Sydney-Newcastle Freeway will always be the F3 to me, even the radio stations in both Sydney and Newcastle agree - having traversed it a lot for work purposes in the last 2 1/2 years.
I used to live on the central coast and my family lives there so I used to travel the F3 quite a bit.

One of the problems is that it is really the only route between Sydney and Newcastle (although one can travel the old Pacific Higthway which runs along side it (the F3 replaced the Pacific Highway).

Thus when there is a major accident, it will mess up the traffic for hours and even deciding to take the alternate route, i.e. the old Pacific Highway, often does help.

When there is a bush fire, it can totally disrupt everything.

Pacific Motorway (Sydney

The wiki article mentions a bushfire in January 2007 which I remember well. Luckily, I still lived in Sydney at the time but I knew people who wanted to get home to the central coast. What one person did was get the train to Hornsby, then with a group of people, he got a taxi out to Palm Beach, got a ferry from Palm Beach to Patonga and then I think he got someone to pick them up from there (I think they must have finished work pretty early to be able to get the Palm Beach ferry).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:57 AM

688 posts, read 841,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
What is the freeway system like in Australian big cities? (If there are freeways?)

Any pictures people can share? Highways with multi-lanes...overpasses?

Are there stores and services or billboards that line the highways the way they do in the US?
Here's a few pics of freeways in Melbourne. Most are 3-4 lanes each way but some in the outlying suburbs are 2 lanes.

Last edited by Full Overcast; 08-06-2013 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM

440 posts, read 867,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
I used to live on the central coast and my family lives there so I used to travel the F3 quite a bit.

One of the problems is that it is really the only route between Sydney and Newcastle (although one can travel the old Pacific Higthway which runs along side it (the F3 replaced the Pacific Highway).

Thus when there is a major accident, it will mess up the traffic for hours and even deciding to take the alternate route, i.e. the old Pacific Highway, often does help.

When there is a bush fire, it can totally disrupt everything.

Pacific Motorway (Sydney

The wiki article mentions a bushfire in January 2007 which I remember well. Luckily, I still lived in Sydney at the time but I knew people who wanted to get home to the central coast. What one person did was get the train to Hornsby, then with a group of people, he got a taxi out to Palm Beach, got a ferry from Palm Beach to Patonga and then I think he got someone to pick them up from there (I think they must have finished work pretty early to be able to get the Palm Beach ferry).
Except when it was closed forever because of a landslide-and also it often takes the people in charge forever to make a decision to open the detour gates or not-I nearly missed my fathers funeral because of an accident (I think) on that road. They shut it down and it took them hours before they decided to open up the detour-luckily we were allowed through but others weren't so lucky-they sat there for hours -mind you it is alot better than when it was the Pacific Highway from Syd to Newcastle-now that was a nightmare and had some of the worst accidents in the country...

Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
Here's a few pics of freeways in Melbourne. Most are 3-4 lanes each way but some in the outlying suburbs are 2 lanes.
exactly what i was lookin for. thanks for those!
the 3rd pic reminds me of something you see in Texas (median is different though)

Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
exactly what i was lookin for. thanks for those!
the 3rd pic reminds me of something you see in Texas (median is different though)
Exactly-looks like all the new highways going up all around DFW and as you come through Texarkana-all it needs is the Texas star in the stone work

Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,309,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
Except when it was closed forever because of a landslide-and also it often takes the people in charge forever to make a decision to open the detour gates or not-I nearly missed my fathers funeral because of an accident (I think) on that road. They shut it down and it took them hours before they decided to open up the detour-luckily we were allowed through but others weren't so lucky-they sat there for hours -mind you it is alot better than when it was the Pacific Highway from Syd to Newcastle-now that was a nightmare and had some of the worst accidents in the country...
Sorry, typo - I meant to say "often doesn't help".

Old 08-07-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post
Sorry, typo - I meant to say "often doesn't help".
NP- I know that stretch of road very well....long before it ever became the F3...
I've seen first hand the carnage on that road way too many times...

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Yeah they're similar to what you find in the US, there are toll roads in Sydney and Melbourne (not sure about Bris). Typically 3+ lanes either way in the cities. Not really as many billboards as you see in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand