Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 AM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes, a 45minute walk and the murder rate increases 40x....tell me with a straight face what is causing that?
Access to firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Access to firearms.
Chicago is already one of the hardest places to get a gun.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 AM

4,225 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Chicago is already one of the hardest places to get a gun.
And what's to stop someone driving out of Chicago and picking one up?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:26 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I wish it would take place. I wish there was a world wide boycott on this country. Reason being maybe just maybe, it would wake this s hole of a country up that can't grow up. The gun violence is pitiful and that's putting it mildly. Chicago itself is no better than a war zone on a daily basis. However it is not just the gun violence itself and the easy access to guns that is the problem. It is a number of reasons and the people turn to guns to unleash their anger and hatred. It is rampant mental illness in this country, that is not treated for several well known reasons. Yes lack of healthcare being one. It is the have and the have not's, and the racial tension that seems to be growing again in this country. The NRA loves to keep the country hostage to gun ownership. They are controlling politicians in this country and we could have a mass shooting every week. Yet nothing would change. Just more and more guns. The politicians and lawmakers are terrified to stand up to the NRA. Sadly to say they have that much power in this supposedly world power.

I do not blame Australia one bit if the entire country said " We are staying away for awhile and hope the USA will at least begin to address its problems with violence. Perhaps then we will visit again. As I said before I am completely ashamed and embarrassed of the country I call home. As I see it is headed for its demise if it doesn't change it ways and soon.

I feel terribly by what has happened to that young man, and I do hope the 3 of his murderers. Never see the world again beyond the walls of their prison.
The NRA has NOTHING to do with it!
You can't punish the vast majority of law-abiding gun owners because of idiots like this. We have the 2nd Amendment and the right to defend our selves.

This guy was a CRIMINAL in possession of a firearm. He illegally obtained it(felony). No doubt with a stolen firearm(another felony) and then killed someone(another felony). This guy commited at least 3 felonies.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Access to firearms.
Criminals obtain their firearms ILEGALLY.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If they are a felon or have any prior assaults or domestic violence, the are obtaining that firearm ILLEGALY(felony).
Most of them use stolen weapons and weapons bought off the black market. That too is a felony.
Buying guns out of State is also a felony. Any out of State purchase HAS to get shipped to an FFL.

How about those Laws actually get enforced and stricter sentencing.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
If a criminal has a felony, he or she can't have a gun. Said criminal would have to get a gun the illegal way, such as smuggling.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Access to firearms.
Ah so we make them illegal like drugs and then the drug dealers wouldn't possibly be able to obtain them thus lowering the murder rate. Brilliant!

Why didn't you tell me you had such a cunning plan!? /edmund blackadder

P.S. On top of that, you couldn't explain why 2 neighborhoods 3 miles apart have a 40x different per captia murder rate other than you apparantly think they have different access to firearms.....lol. Sigh.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 PM

440 posts, read 867,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ah so we make them illegal like drugs and then the drug dealers wouldn't possibly be able to obtain them thus lowering the murder rate. Brilliant!

Why didn't you tell me you had such a cunning plan!? /edmund blackadder

P.S. On top of that, you couldn't explain why 2 neighborhoods 3 miles apart have a 40x different per captia murder rate other than you apparantly think they have different access to firearms.....lol. Sigh.
It's not the access to firearms-it's this culture of violence young men in this country seem to think is okay -there have been way to many cases of late about people being randomly targeted to be beaten/shot/robbed and killed without a thought of the consequences- Take the WW11 veteran who was beaten to death with flashlights! Should we ban access to flashlights as well?

Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
It's not the access to firearms-it's this culture of violence young men in this country seem to think is okay -there have been way to many cases of late about people being randomly targeted to be beaten/shot/robbed and killed without a thought of the consequences- Take the WW11 veteran who was beaten to death with flashlights! Should we ban access to flashlights as well?
It is far more specific to the culture of BLACK young men in this country. Also, the media has been subduing quite well, that this was more than likely a hate crime because this young man was WHITE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand