Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
If you don't think its booming now just wait till 2020 when..
Man! I pray you're right, but I fear that you are delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
If you don't think its booming now just wait till 2020 when income will rise by 10%
Err...that's great. Now take a look at incomes over a longer period v GDP

A 10% rise in income will do little to repair the last 40 years. Even worse than that is that the growth from 1980 until 2000 was probably the longest period of wealth creation in US history yet it flowed to so few.

And here's wages compared to labour productivity...

Old 10-14-2013, 12:02 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
I am embarrassed for the Americans who don't get that our country is on a one way track to economic doom and gloom for the majority. Sadly the worst is yet to come

Old 10-14-2013, 12:09 AM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I am embarrassed for the Americans who don't get that our country is on a one way track to economic doom and gloom for the majority. Sadly the worst is yet to come
I don't think it's that bad. There will be an adjustment over the next 20 or so years but America will keep on keeping on. History shows that you'd be a real dummy to not back America over the long term. Long term forecasts are notoriously inaccurate but I'll give you one: America will see a wage adjustment over the next generation or so, much like what occurred between the Depression and the 1950's. 10% is a start but there's heaps more ground that needs to be caught up. There will be no other option, the alternative is a shrinking market for consumer goods.

I'm sure there were similar fears during the Depression and the period after it. People often forget how well an economy can adjust through what Adam Smith called "the invisible hand".

Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
If you don't think its booming now just wait till 2020 when income will rise by 10%, housing will cost more, unemployment dropping much lower, interest rates will stay low and yes you guys guess it military spending will be cut due to less aggressive foreign aid, I mean we are already starting to see the USA boom, companies are moving back, unemployment is going down and the USA growing in production and oh yes the debt will go down! Sorry to burst your bubble
Why the US economy will be booming by 2020 - Business - Eye on the Economy | NBC News
Well one of my friends is in the USA working and has barely enough money to afford to support her children. Yet she is highly educated. In addition my other 2 American friends are really struggling really bad regarding finances. I hope you are right what you state that America is starting to see a economic boom.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,211,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
I give up you are right the US is in great shape, nothing to worry about just don't change a thing
Funny, the USA is in much better shape than other countries but the POINT I am trying to make is that we are getting much better, are economy is getting better, everything is getting better. By next year Retirement benefits will go up giving more money to older people...by 2020 every city will have transportation like streetcars and such with populations over 2 million...Give it up America is in a way better situation than it was 5 years ago.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Well one of my friends is in the USA working and has barely enough money to afford to support her children. Yet she is highly educated. In addition my other 2 American friends are really struggling really bad regarding finances. I hope you are right what you state that America is starting to see a economic boom.
I have a hard time believing some of the things you say, you claim you know people from everywhere, I mean you once said this "Not all Muslims are alike and besides I know several muslims that are gay" I believe this came from post 27 in the gays attacked in Paris thread....

Old 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

A 10% rise in income will do little to repair the last 40 years. Even worse than that is that the growth from 1980 until 2000 was probably the longest period of wealth creation in US history yet it flowed to so few.

The graph ended right when the economic boom started taking place which was around late 2012...

Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Than why is unemployment going down, why are companies moving back to the USA, why is retirement money increasing, why is obesity going down, why is America spending less and less on foreign aid increasingly putting money to where it belongs, why are we currently going through a housing and heath boom, why is our dollar value rising, why are cities all over increasing transportation, why are we now spending more money on education than before, why is Wal-Mart now opening up factories here and taking factories away from china, why is crime going down, why are we now the largest producers of gas and oil? Why?

Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
The graph ended right when the economic boom started taking place which was around late 2012...

Thanks for the laugh, please play again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

Yea those rises are not even keeping up with inflation, the US middle class has been drifting backwards for decades with no end in sight. The wealthy however leaps and bounds!

Please don't break out hard economic data, you will destroy Cali's dream!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand