Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times

Advertisements

It's something I've never understood the point of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 03:21 AM

231 posts, read 333,021 times
Halloween seems to have taken off in Australia in recent yrs, a decade ago it meant nothing but the past 3 years i've had kids knock on the door, i personally know lots of people that take their kids trick or treating and many that host halloween parties, i just think its a gimmick and feels awkward from an Australian point of view but i can understand why its popular as its exciting for the kids, i dont know much about it, i respect thats important in America but imo it has no place in this country, give it another decade and we will all be getting invited to thanksgiving dinners lol...i dunno just makes us look cultureless when people start adopting other countries traditions.

Old 11-03-2013, 08:00 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Halloween is taking over a bit from Guy Fawkes night these days, it seems that no one remembers the 5th of November anymore the PC brigade saw to that.

Still i was totally unaware it was Halloween last week, until all the kids from the child care facility we have at work arrived all dressed up demanding treats.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,741,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Halloween is taking over a bit from Guy Fawkes night these days, it seems that no one remembers the 5th of November anymore the PC brigade saw to that.

Still i was totally unaware it was Halloween last week, until all the kids from the child care facility we have at work arrived all dressed up demanding treats.
I've never even heard of Guy Fawkes day in Australia.

Agree that Halloween is on the uptake. Around my way we tend to get "reminders" in our letterboxes about a week in advance.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
I've never even heard of Guy Fawkes day in Australia.

Agree that Halloween is on the uptake. Around my way we tend to get "reminders" in our letterboxes about a week in advance.
I take it you are a big younger than me?

In Queensland at least they banned Guy Fawkes or "cracker night" in the 1970's, a few years before I was born.

'Cracker night' ruled out due to fireworks dangers | Ipswich Queensland Times

Still growing up on rural property my parents were able to keep the tradition alive and well, we had crackers, and burnt Guy Fawkes effigies well into the 1980's (Been a long way from any police officers, has it's benefits sometimes )

It was however a long time ago, I was only young and had actually forgotten all about it until I read this thread.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 11-03-2013 at 11:05 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Hallween means nothing in Australia or to Australians.

Guy Fawks Yes, Halloween zero, it's American.

5th of November a day to remember, gunpowder treason and plot. We could do with some of that now.
Halloween is actually an ancient tradition and is believed to originally have been a Celtic Holiday that was brought to the United States by Irish and Scottish immigrants. Why it did not spread to Australia in the 1800s I cannot say but it might have something to do with English domination of the British Empire at the time (whereas the USA was already independent).

Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guy Fawkes Day was at one time also celebrated in the America but died out around the time of the Revolution because it was seen as religiously intolerant. Interestingly Guy Fawkes has really nothing to do with either Australia or America except a historical connection to the British*.

Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Fawkes died one year before the first colony (Virginia) was established.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,471,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Halloween is actually an ancient tradition and is believed to originally have been a Celtic Holiday that was brought to the United States by Irish and Scottish immigrants. Why it did not spread to Australia in the 1800s I cannot say but it might have something to do with English domination of the British Empire at the time (whereas the USA was already independent).

Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Guy Fawkes Day was at one time also celebrated in the America but died out around the time of the Revolution because it was seen as religiously intolerant. Interestingly Guy Fawkes has really nothing to do with either Australia or America except a historical connection to the British*.

Guy Fawkes Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Fawkes died one year before the first colony (Virginia) was established.
Yes Halloween has an Irish origin and has always been celebrated there. The Americans have just made it bigger and exported it to other countries just like they have done with St Patrick's Day.

How to Celebrate Halloween the Traditional Irish Way - Samhain or Halloween in Ireland

Old 11-04-2013, 08:35 AM

440 posts, read 867,303 times
I was surprised how many of my friends in Australia posted photos of themselves and their kids dressed up for Halloween....one of them had a parade at school too....times are changing I guess....Halloween is a big deal here in the USA-it's a fun time esp if you have kids..we all decorate our houses and the street pretty much shuts down and the ghosts and ghouls take over and the adults walk around with a beer or glass of wine and trick or treat! When I lived in the UK-we did have some kids come by but it was more the free candy than the dressing up. Also I loved "cracker night" -we used to have a big bonfire and fireworks...funtimes!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
The stores are trying to make us buy into it, this year I saw a bunch of Halloween stuff.

Mind you most of it will be in the bargain bin by now.

No one has ever knocked at my door and it wouldn't get opened if they did.

Australians seem to have an innate cringe factor when it comes to dressing up and parading around the streets asking for lollies.

I blame the Mardi Gras.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Hallween means nothing in Australia or to Australians.

Guy Fawks Yes, Halloween zero, it's American.

5th of November a day to remember, gunpowder treason and plot. We could do with some of that now.

Australia is very, very culturally similar to the UK, particularly England. The fact that Australia celebrates such a purely English event says it all. What in the world does Guy Fawkes have to do with Australia anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand