Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:44 PM

46 posts, read 210,106 times

Advertisements

How easy is it for an American to immigrate (especially if they have a family)?

Do you need to secure a job before they will even consider letting you in? Are companies/universities/government likely to hire professionals from outside New Zealand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 11:26 AM

31 posts, read 105,231 times
Its getting more difficult to immigrate to NZL,red tape measures being implemented. If you are well qualified its not really a problem,just takes lots of paperwork. Most qualifyed people should be able to secure a job before they arrive,hiring professionals providing they speak good English to reasonable easy. Most immigrants to NZL are from Pacific islands,India,Parts of Asia,England,Sth Africa.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 AM

31 posts, read 105,231 times
For Americans to immigrate i dont think it would be a problem. I know of 2 families that immigrated to NZL from America,they had no problem,if you are over 55 years of age or have health issues this may cause problems though.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 22,413 times
To FARBZ, You are young and should enjoy the lifestyle in NZ for a couple of years...I'd recommend Auckland really if you are goal-oriented. The weather is better than farther south and you can always travel around and see the country.
My only comment would be please, do consider a financially viable exit plan. Don't get yourself stuck there. As you are young, you are hopefully marketable so keep exit strategies in mind as you live there. NZ is not a place to make any extra money. Wages are very moderate and expenses are very high. My advice, enjoy the wine, women (try not to contribute your DNA to the NZ gene pool...women there are more than happy to saddle you with a little surprise and this will affect you for the rest of your life) and song but keep on moving on after you have done so. That's what any intelligent person with a lick of ambition or talent inevitably does in NZ.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:18 AM

305 posts, read 537,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI from downunder View Post
For Americans to immigrate i dont think it would be a problem. I know of 2 families that immigrated to NZL from America,they had no problem,if you are over 55 years of age or have health issues this may cause problems though.

I'll be eligible to retire from my current position teaching HS mathematics at age 58 in a few years, but would like to continue to teach for 5 years or so and one option I've considered is teaching internationally. I was on South Island for 3 weeks last year and felt very at home there. Would there be a provision for an old guy like me to be able to teach on a temporary work visa?

Old 05-28-2009, 10:01 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,597,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
I'll be eligible to retire from my current position teaching HS mathematics at age 58 in a few years, but would like to continue to teach for 5 years or so and one option I've considered is teaching internationally. I was on South Island for 3 weeks last year and felt very at home there. Would there be a provision for an old guy like me to be able to teach on a temporary work visa?
There are no temp work visas for someone your age, however I remember a few years ago the NZ government had a program for certified teachers to come to NZ for a few years and teach. I have known a few ladies that are teachers in NZ and I can tell you salaries are pitiful, but you might find it a worthwhile experience, especially on the south island.

Have a search on NZ government websites as I remember some pages about that program for recruiting international teachers.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,564,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believ Me I've Been There View Post
The weather is better than farther south NZ.
Quite wrong - the drier, sunniest and most stable climates in NZ are south of Auckland - in Nelson, Marlborough and to a lesser extent Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,564,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Believ Me I've Been There View Post
... but keep on moving on after you have done so. That's what any intelligent person with a lick of ambition or talent inevitably does in NZ.
Absolute nonsense. NZ continues to punch above its weight in a variety of fields. To suggest that all those who are talented simply leave is nonsense - and of those who do, many come back later.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,950,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Absolute nonsense. NZ continues to punch above its weight in a variety of fields. To suggest that all those who are talented simply leave is nonsense - and of those who do, many come back later.
But you do have to worry about the government statistics that pretty much show without immigration, NZ would be losing population!

I also found an article from the nzherald..

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high - Business - NZ Herald News

of course not all the best and brightest leave NZ but the numbers are kind of worrisome (for kiwis) and the topic is debatetd in Wellington.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,597,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
But you do have to worry about the government statistics that pretty much show without immigration, NZ would be losing population!

I also found an article from the nzherald..

Kiwis moving to Australia at 19-year high - Business - NZ Herald News

of course not all the best and brightest leave NZ but the numbers are kind of worrisome (for kiwis) and the topic is debatetd in Wellington.
Well a lot of the kiwis I know for "career development" they almost have to leave. Unless you have a basic job like a police officer or nurse or farmer, there is not much else you can do.

It's not like they hold it against NZ. It is after all an isolated country of 4 million in the south pacific so it can only offer so much.

Also for many they just get "cabin fever" because of that isolation and just want a new start with different opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand