Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times

Advertisements

We're looking into possibly moving to Ashburton/Allenton, New Zealand next year. Was wondering about the broadband internet situation there. What are the highest speeds available and at what cost? Any usage caps? I get 30Mbps now -- not sure if something like that is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 04:18 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
NZ is lucky to be a significant way through rolling out Fiber to the Home a nationwide scheme called "Ultra Fast Broadband". I don't know how far along Ashburton is but Christchurch has the highest percentage deployment last time I checked which of course is pretty close.

Most houses will be 100Mbps download and 50Mbps up to start, I think you can chose a slower option. Higher speed are likely in the future thanks to the technology NZ chose.

UFB prices are still expensive but dropping. I am aware of a provider (Orcon) now offer a VOIP phone line and unlimited data for $99 a month, I have friends on it in Christchurch that taunt me with there connection superiority.

DSL2 is likely available if UFB isn't yet, and of course its hard to quote speed as it depends how far from the exchange or DSLAM you are. Likely to be anywhere between 4-20 Mbps.

While I am on the topic........ may as well have a rant.

NBN vs. UFB head to head comparison

Now NBN here in Aus is being reduced to copper for the last mile, the gap is going to be far worse than the above link and Australia is about to enter another decade of abysmal internet. This new infrastructure government doesn't seem very infrastructurey, is that a word?

/end rant

Last edited by Battleneter; 11-20-2013 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: ah typo

Old 11-21-2013, 01:49 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,349 times
Thanks for the info. Looked into UFB and looks like about Ashburton/Allenton do have UFB network capability through Chorus (3/4 have the 100Mbps UFB coverage; the other 1/4 get up to 20Mbps (and scheduled for 100Mbps upgrade in May 2014)). Snap! provides 30Mbps UFB with 200GB monthly data cap at NZ$90/month.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Be careful you don't move to a "3%" area- There will be some around Ashburton.. I just paid NZ$688 for 2.7GB of data on a mobile plan.

I must admit that it was mostly penalty (base plan is NZ$49 for 2 GB), but those wonderful folks at Telecom NZ, changed it from the previous plan where if you exceeded the 2GB, you automatically started on another 2GB plan, to a new (money making) scheme where once you exceeded the 2 GB, it automatically goes to NZ$ 1 a MB (It's a good trap for households with kids, who don't hear alerts when they're gaming))

Thanks Telecom NZ, you're a great company. PS - don't keep sending your f****** flyers in the mail, about the wonders of unlimited highspeed broadband.

Last edited by Joe90; 11-24-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 01:54 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,946,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Thanks Telecom NZ, you're a great company. PS - don't keep sending your f****** flyers in the mail, about the wonders of unlimited highspeed broadband.

Ah yes Telecom, my all time favourite company or should I say mobsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand