U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 AM

7,458 posts, read 11,143,791 times

Advertisements

Was at a supermarket here today in NZ. As the young girl was about to hand back my change, I said "thats a tip for you, you keep that for yourself". She then replied Thank You but I'm not supposed to do that.

I ended up saying just keep it and left. This is news to me, have never struck that response before. Why would she say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:24 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,382,833 times
Isn't it obvious? It's store policy that employees can't accept tips.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Isn't it obvious? It's store policy that employees can't accept tips.
Of course.....but why does that policy exist? I do it often and have NEVER got that response until today.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:30 AM

6,415 posts, read 10,053,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Of course.....but why does that policy exist? I do it often and have NEVER got that response until today.
I'd guess it's so that other employees don't resent having to do jobs that don't interact with the public, and therefore are unlikely to receive tips. Just keeps for a happier work environment, I'd say.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Maybe to help prevent bribery and things like that? Or solicitation for other reasons...

Old 12-04-2013, 10:51 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,293,973 times
Turning down a tip is rude. People like to be generous and give gifts.

If someone offers me a tip for just doing my job I will accept and reply, "Thank you, you're very generous and I really appreciate it."

Old 12-04-2013, 11:31 AM

16,165 posts, read 21,434,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post

If someone offers me a tip for just doing my job I will accept and reply, "Thank you, you're very generous and I really appreciate it."
A guy did that at one of my last jobs. At least his unemployment lasted almost two years.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,562,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post

Offering a tip is rude as it puts the employee in a uncontainable position, for the most part employees are not allowed to accept tips. Do you really want her on CCTV seen putting money in her pocket?, or if she puts it in the till her float will be out at the end of the day.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Offering a tip is rude as it puts the employee in a uncontainable position, for the most part employees are not allowed to accept tips. Do you really want her on CCTV seen putting money in her pocket?, or if she puts it in the till her float will be out at the end of the day.
That comment is laughable.

Take my example here for example. These are low paid people who are in this case young and making their way in the world. The Supermarket makes a fortune, yet the employees get not much more than minimum wage.

And yet the store seems like it has a policy to not allow tips. That is also laughable.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
That comment is laughable.

Take my example here for example. These are low paid people who are in this case young and making their way in the world. The Supermarket makes a fortune, yet the employees get not much more than minimum wage.

And yet the store seems like it has a policy to not allow tips. That is also laughable.
Australians at the low end are well paid, especially compared to the US. Plus cost of living isn't THAT much more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand