U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,474,250 times
Reputation: 13422

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzKpfw View Post
Very true. Even Hobart is mild.

Coldest temp ever for Hobart -2.8C (27F) on June 25, 1972

Miami, Florida record coldest: -2.8C (27F) on Feb. 3, 1917
Los Angeles record coldest: -4C (24F) on Dec. 22, 1944

Also keep in mind that Hobart is farther from the equator than Windsor, Ontario Canada

It is currently -8C (17F) here in Windsor, Ontario Canada, at 06:10am.
-17 (2F) ......if you count the wind chill. lol



Best I can find, the coldest temperature ever recorded here was -32.8 °C (-27.0 °F) on January 29, 1973.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 12-11-2013 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
 
140 posts, read 211,119 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Why on earth would you move to Ohio, of all the places in the US? lol
I quit my job and went back to uni for my Masters/PhD. The research group I wanted to work with is here. And my salary/cost of living ratio is better here than I would have in Melbourne (my choice if I stayed in Australia), assuming I'd have received the standard grant. Though if I'd known how expensive Tim Tams were I might have made a different choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
 
795 posts, read 1,150,888 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I quit my job and went back to uni for my Masters/PhD. The research group I wanted to work with is here. And my salary/cost of living ratio is better here than I would have in Melbourne (my choice if I stayed in Australia), assuming I'd have received the standard grant. Though if I'd known how expensive Tim Tams were I might have made a different choice.
Yeah, think of all the money you'd spend eating out if you lived in Melbourne. But what about quality of life? You live in OHIO, of all places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 PM
 
795 posts, read 1,150,888 times
Reputation: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
That is very odd… and kind of disappointing. It would be nice to see some extreme cold/snowy weather in this country for once. It seems as though all we get is heatwave after heatwave.
December 8 6:00 PM

It started to snow. The first snow of the season and
the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by
the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down
from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print.
I love snow!

December 9

We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow
covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic
sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole
world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a
boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up
the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to
shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12

The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a
disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to
worry-we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow
on Christmas would be awful. Bob says we'll have so
much snow by the end of winter that I'll never want to
see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob Is
such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14

Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The
temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything
sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed
up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is
the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and
buried everything again; I didn't realize I would have
to do this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15

20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4
Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2
extra snow shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife
wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I
think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16

Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in
the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The
wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very
cruel.

December 17

Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go
anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours, I had to
pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but
stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I
should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to
her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe
I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20

Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of
the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all
day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a
neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy
playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only
hardware store around to see about buying a snow
blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in
March, I think they're lying. Bob says I have to
shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I
think he's lying.

December 20

Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more
inches of the white **** fell today, and it's so cold,
it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes
to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I
had to ****. By the time I got undressed, pissed and
dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to
hire Bob who has a plow blade on his truck for the
rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think
the ******* is lying.

December 23

Only 2 inches of snow today… And it warmed up to 0!
The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house
this morning. What is she, nuts?! Why didn't she tell
me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I
think she's lying.

December 24

6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke
the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I
ever catch the son of a ***** who drives that snow
plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and
beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he
hides around the corner and waits for me to finish
shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100
miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just
cleared! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas
carols with her and open our presents, but I was too
busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25

Merry f---ing Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn
slop tonight - snowed in! The idea of shoveling makes
my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow
driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him
over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a
bad attitude. I think she's a frickin' idiot! If I
have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time,
I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26

Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It
was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27

Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze;
plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him... he
only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28

Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The ***** is
driving me crazy!

December 29

10 more goddammed inches! Bob says I have to shovel
the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest
thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30

Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now
he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the
beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the
broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to
her mother. Nine more inches predicted…

December 31

I set fire to what's left of the house. No more
shoveling.

January 8

Feel so good. I just love those little white pills
they keep giving me. But why am I tied to the bed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 AM
 
30 posts, read 44,244 times
Reputation: 48
Lol, I love how the original poster of this thread set out to dispel the belief that Australia is "always hot", however all he's done is prove that it reallyis always hot

Canadians, residents of America's East Coast and Europeans would honestly love if their winters managed to reach "double figures" like 10-14 degrees... while we complain that that's too cold!

I've spent winters in Chicago and Poland, so Melbourne and Canberra's winters don't bother me that much. Most of the time in Canberra I got by with lots of layers of clothing when I was at home and did just fine. It helped my energy bills a lot too!

Last edited by Delacof; 12-12-2013 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Reputation: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacof View Post
Lol, I love how the original poster of this thread set out to dispel the belief that Australia is "always hot", however all he's done is prove that it reallyis always hot

Canadians, residents of America's East Coast and Europeans would honestly love if their winters managed to reach "double figures" like 10-14 degrees... while we complain that that's too cold!

I've spent winters in Chicago and Poland, so Melbourne and Canberra's winters don't bother me that much. Most of the time in Canberra I got by with lots of layers of clothing when I was at home and did just fine. It helped my energy bills a lot too!
It all about perspective, if the stereotypes were true Australians would never see any snow, and we would all live in cities with year round temperatures like that of Singapore Jakarta or Mecca.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 12-12-2013 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 12:55 PM
 
1,100 posts, read 1,319,735 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It all about perspective, if the stereotypes were true Australians would never see any snow, and we would all live in cities with year round temperatures like that of Singapore Jakarta or Mecca.
Yep. On a camping holiday in the NT I heard a group of German tourists complaining about how cold it was. There was some failry typical weather you can get in the centre through June to August: -3 or -4 overnight, and up to 12C or 15C during the day. Their preconception was that since it was desert, that it would be sweltering hot all day, every day. They also had trouble accepting that "desert" just means dry, and that there can be lots of trees, shrubs and mountain ranges in a desert. I think they were expecting sand dunes and cactus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacof View Post
Lol, I love how the original poster of this thread set out to dispel the belief that Australia is "always hot", however all he's done is prove that it reallyis always hot

Canadians, residents of America's East Coast and Europeans would honestly love if their winters managed to reach "double figures" like 10-14 degrees... while we complain that that's too cold!

I've spent winters in Chicago and Poland, so Melbourne and Canberra's winters don't bother me that much. Most of the time in Canberra I got by with lots of layers of clothing when I was at home and did just fine. It helped my energy bills a lot too!
Huh, but australia is not always hot, the only climates that are always or mostly hot are equatorial. Even those can feel almost cool at times under certain conditions. I'd say the Torres strait and islands off the nt are the only equatorial climes in australia. Most populated parts of australia are not always hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It all about perspective, if the stereotypes were true Australians would never see any snow, and we would all live in cities with year round temperatures like that of Singapore Jakarta or Mecca.
Most Australians have not seen snow, certainly not where they live, but that's a separate issue from whether or not its always hot. I only saw snow when I was 16, my sister has never seen it, but Perth is thousands of km from the nearest reliable snow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Next stop Antarctica
1,797 posts, read 2,333,222 times
Reputation: 2052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
December 8 6:00 PM

It started to snow. The first snow of the season and
the wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by
the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down
from heaven. It looked like a Grandma Moses print.
I love snow!

December 9

We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow
covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic
sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the whole
world? Moving here was the best idea I've ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a
boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up
the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to
shovel again. What a perfect life!

December 12

The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a
disappointment! My neighbor tells me not to
worry-we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow
on Christmas would be awful. Bob says we'll have so
much snow by the end of winter that I'll never want to
see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob Is
such a nice man, I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14

Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night. The
temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything
sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed
up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is
the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and
buried everything again; I didn't realize I would have
to do this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15

20 inches forecast. Sold my van and bought a 4x4
Blazer. Bought snow tires for the wife's car and 2
extra snow shovels. Stocked the freezer. The wife
wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I
think that's silly. We aren't in Alaska, after all.

December 16

Ice storm this morning. Fell on my ass on the ice in
the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The
wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very
cruel.

December 17

Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go
anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours, I had to
pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but
stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I
should've bought a wood stove, but won't admit it to
her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe
I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20

Electricity is back on, but had another 14 inches of
the damn stuff last night. More shoveling! Took all
day. The damn snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a
neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy
playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only
hardware store around to see about buying a snow
blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in
March, I think they're lying. Bob says I have to
shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. I
think he's lying.

December 20

Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more
inches of the white **** fell today, and it's so cold,
it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes
to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I
had to ****. By the time I got undressed, pissed and
dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to
hire Bob who has a plow blade on his truck for the
rest of the winter, but he says he's too busy. I think
the ******* is lying.

December 23

Only 2 inches of snow today… And it warmed up to 0!
The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house
this morning. What is she, nuts?! Why didn't she tell
me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I
think she's lying.

December 24

6 inches - Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke
the shovel. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I
ever catch the son of a ***** who drives that snow
plow, I'll drag him through the snow by his balls and
beat him to death with my broken shovel. I know he
hides around the corner and waits for me to finish
shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100
miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just
cleared! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas
carols with her and open our presents, but I was too
busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25

Merry f---ing Christmas! 20 more inches of the damn
slop tonight - snowed in! The idea of shoveling makes
my blood boil. God, I hate the snow! Then the snowplow
driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him
over the head with my shovel. The wife says I have a
bad attitude. I think she's a frickin' idiot! If I
have to watch "It's A Wonderful Life" one more time,
I'm going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26

Still snowed in. Why the hell did I ever move here? It
was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves.

December 27

Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze;
plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him... he
only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28

Warmed up to above -20. Still snowed in. The ***** is
driving me crazy!

December 29

10 more goddammed inches! Bob says I have to shovel
the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest
thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30

Roof caved in. I beat up the snow plow driver, and now
he is suing me for a million dollars, not only for the
beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the
broken snow shovel up his ass. The wife went home to
her mother. Nine more inches predicted…

December 31

I set fire to what's left of the house. No more
shoveling.

January 8

Feel so good. I just love those little white pills
they keep giving me. But why am I tied to the bed?
Love it, so funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top