Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,222,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
So now that we've established you can buy assault weapons in New Zealand what can't you buy?

Decent houses ?
Unlimited data mobile plans ?
cheap flights to Europe ?
Google glass ?
A good pint ?
Adding to this list

Kirkland home brands ?
Roku sticks ?

(I've already got my Roku, Google glass is next on my list).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,936,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Its hard to know where to start sometimes, but lets give it a go.

The AR15 is not full auto and therefore is not illegal in Aus or NZ. Gun crime is very low in both Aus and NZ so not sure if we need to discuss a problem that doesn't exists and no need to dramatise it.

A version of the AR15 is manufactured in Sydney

Assault guns made here

Decent Housing - Modern NZ building code is amonst the highest in the world and now exceeds areas like Queensland or "parts" of the US. 50 years ago in NZ/Aus building codes were definately not compareable to the US.

cheap flights to Europe - Yep true, Aus and NZ are a LONG way from Europe but NZ is closer to the US which is more relevant for the American OP.

Unlimited Data Plans - Well true, but we both know the plans are no better on this side of the Tasman.

A good pint Well actually Americans are unlikely to call it a Pint and there are some excellent NZ beers along with the imported variety, so no idea what you mean. Even Australia makes the odd good Beer :P

Google glass - Its a great concept but horrible implementation. I have seen Xbox launch in NZ before AUS, is it some kind of contest?, not to mention you can buy on-line and its likely cheaper.

If we are on the topic of Technology, NZ already has a greater percentage of Internet connected users than Australia and is rolling our full fibre to the door unlike here in Aus that is settling with a watered down fibre to the node and DSL copper the last mile, welcome to the 90's

If you want to upload 10GB to your private Web server, its probably faster to jump on a plane to NZ knock on a door and have them upload it!

Quote:
Adding to this list

Kirkland home brands ?
Roku sticks ?

Kirkland home brands ? Can you buy Coles supermarket brand in the UK?

Roku sticks ? Have NEVER heard of Ebay?, its a website you can visit and buy stuff

Quote:
Adding to this list

Probably waste your money on the Google glasses but hope you enjoy them

Old 06-26-2014, 07:07 PM

What can't you buy in New Zealand?

Decent houses ?
Unlimited data mobile plans ?
cheap flights to Europe ?
Google glass ?
A good pint ?
Kirkland home brands ? (ie. Costco)
Roku sticks ?
Google chromecast ?
Imported honey ?
Lalique crystal and other high end homewares ?

Old 06-26-2014, 07:19 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,936,591 times
This thread is turning a little silly and not much point responding with logic. I really dont think anyone cares about which department store exists in what country

Bunnings does not exist in the USA = (therefore the USA sucks)

Kmart exists in NZ therefore = (NZ is Awesome).

Old 06-26-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't agree. There isn't the plethora of consumer choice that you have in the USA for goods and services and I've been to every corner of NZ and 47 of the 50 states.
There simply isn't.

I mentioned Costco but forgot to add Ikea to my list.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:09 PM

4,439 posts, read 6,946,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Despite the picture that a few jealous very suspect people try and paint of NZ on line, I to have known Americans living in NZ and love it.

NZ is now seen as the most socially developed country on the planet but that doesnt mean it will suit everyone's requirements, and that's where using ones intelligence to investigate a country or even a town fully before moving comes in.
Yes, well it depends on what you look for. Yes NZ does not suit everyone requirements. Neither does nearby Australia. If I lived in New Zealand I would choose Wellington or the South Island.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,597 times
So, for a teacher and a painter, would it be pretty impossible to relocate to NZ from the U.S. We are desperately craving a quiet, peaceful, scenic life without a department store on every corner. We also do not mind hard work if we can get it. My husband is a veteran, but no degree, I have a B.A. We have savings. Any advice or even reality check if I really need it.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasinglifenow View Post
So, for a teacher and a painter, would it be pretty impossible to relocate to NZ from the U.S. We are desperately craving a quiet, peaceful, scenic life without a department store on every corner. We also do not mind hard work if we can get it. My husband is a veteran, but no degree, I have a B.A. We have savings. Any advice or even reality check if I really need it.
Check to see if teaching is still on the skills shortage list and if you can get in on that.

Also if you're looking for a quiet, scenic life consider Tasmania and parts of Australia too. The little village where I live is one of the most scenic areas of Australia. We don't have department stores but there is a small Woolworths supermarket that the locals fought against for years. Many still won't use it and chose to support the local grocery store and farmers markets instead. You'll never see a Maccas or KFC around these parts but it's not uncommon to see barefoot people on the sidewalks, busking with their guitars during the summer months. I love the laid backness, slow pace of life here

eg. Mary Cairncross Park - Sunshine Coast - by Happy Snapper

Any advice? The best advice I can give you is to hold on to your savings, don't use them to subsidise you new lifestyle or to pay for your relocation.

Having that money put aside will enable you to have choices in the future.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:23 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,027,826 times
A friend of mine and former roommate moved to Wellington NZ fifteen years ago.

He is originally from Vermont and says that moving to NZ is the expat equivalent of packing up and moving to Vermont.

Of course, this doesn't make sense in many ways but I can sort of see where he's coming from.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:34 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,379,962 times
As far as how most people will treat you. Pretty good. The people here are mostly friendly and laid back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand