Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM

31 posts, read 36,359 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I graduated high school in summer 2012 and have been enrolled at community college since that fall. My plan is/was to get my grades up and transfer to a local university for Fall 2014, and eventually go on for physical therapy. To be 100% honest with you, I have 0 motivation to go to school anymore. I don't want to go for physiotherapy, and there is nothing else that interests me. I just feel like I'm wasting my time being there when I can't find the motivation to give it my all. I know that this sounds pretty bad, but right now I just can't see myself in school...

I would like to take a year off, and go to Australia on a WHV. This is something that I've had in mind since senior year of hs, and I want to make this a reality. I turn 20 in just a few months, and I think I'm more than capable of making a life decision at this age. The problem is I can already tell you my parents aren't going to be on board with this idea, so I need to do my research, and get tons of facts and information before I sit them down and tell them this is what I want to do more than anything in the world.

How do I tell my parents that I want to take a year off from school and travel halfway across the world? We only live once, and I want to make everything out of the chances and opportunities that are out there for me. I want to go out and have the adventure of a lifetime while it's available to me. I fully plan on giving school another try when I get back from my year off, but if it doesn't work out I have a few other plans in mind as far as career paths go.

I've known about BUNAC or OzIntro for awhile, and I'm starting to look very seriously into one of those options as I have no intent of just getting my visa/plane ticket and showing up in Australia by myself. My class schedule for this semester got messed up so I have more time to work and I want to save as much $ as I possibly can. My goal would be to leave home sometime between October and early-mid December.

Any information, advice, tips, experiences, etc. is seriously appreciated from me. This is something that I want to do more than anything in the world, and making it a reality is my number 1 goal right now. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 02:59 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen1 View Post
I've known about BUNAC or OzIntro for awhile, and I'm starting to look very seriously into one of those options as I have no intent of just getting my visa/plane ticket and showing up in Australia by myself.
Why not? Pretty much everyone does that. Those places that do all that setting up for you are just rip-offs. Maybe you're a little nervous? I'm in New Zealand on a WHV right now, and am loving it. I will be heading to Australia after.

Anyways, it sounds like you have thought things through pretty much. I'd say go for it. Your parents can't stop you from going, right?

If making this a reality is your number one priority as you say, then just follow through on your plan. Thousands of people do this every year with success.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:43 PM

140 posts, read 278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Your parents can't stop you from going, right?
Depends, are they expected to fund this trip and continue supporting you financially? What about when you get back?

OP, you need write down (not here - so you have it clear to both yourself and your parents) what you expect to get out of this trip and how it will be beneficial to you in the future. Have plans for funding and preparing for the trip, what you are going to do on the trip, and what you will do when you get back home. This will show your parents that you have thought this through and that you are not just going on an extended holiday to avoid school. If you are able to fund the trip yourself you will be in a much stronger position.

Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand