Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,230,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I agree, at the end of the day I'd choose Oz out of all three...the UK is close to Europe, but is crowded, kinda gloomy and depressing. NZ is beautiful but just too isolated. Australia has the best weather, best economy, most open people (though changing), most diverse.etc.
I feel the same way too. The UK is beautiful but has far too many people living there for such a small island. New Zealand is very isolated, the nearest place to it is Australia so it makes sense to live here if the isolation gets to you and you need to feel more connected to the rest of the world. New Zealand seems to pride itself on its remoteness and not being affected by global affairs: it's very easy to feel forgotten about there. There's a psychological remoteness not just a physical one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 02:37 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel,J View Post
New Zealand is very isolated

Covered that already

12h 15m duration Auckland, New Zealand (AKL) to Los Angeles, USA (LAX)

13h 40m duration Sydney (SYD) to Los Angeles, USA (LAX)

Australia is surrounded by water and only has 3rd world Asian countries closer than NZ which as it turns out has been nothing but a headache.

Quote:
There's a psychological remoteness not just a physical one.

Certainly one could feel isolated in New York if one had few friends or perhaps struggling with other things in ones personal life etc.

Last edited by Battleneter; 04-20-2014 at 02:48 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Having lived in all three I think I agree with the relative rankings. Not that you should place much credence in these type of surveys, especially when they appear to contradict each other. There's no substitute for personal experience imho.

The 15 Countries With The Highest Quality Of Life | Business Insider

and at the end of the day what has it got to do with the price of feijoas? Let's deal with the real issues here people
Getting back on track here.

I saw NZ feijoas in a local fruit and veg shop today, it's starting to look like a trend rather than an isolated import by a large supermarket chain. Long may it continue!

It's great to see more NZ fruit and veg in the shops, I miss Maris Pipers and Bramley cooking apples it's the little things like being able to put food on the table that add to one's quality of life, not statistics.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
I feel the same way too. The UK is beautiful but has far too many people living there for such a small island. New Zealand is very isolated, the nearest place to it is Australia so it makes sense to live here if the isolation gets to you and you need to feel more connected to the rest of the world. New Zealand seems to pride itself on its remoteness and not being affected by global affairs: it's very easy to feel forgotten about there. There's a psychological remoteness not just a physical one.
I lived in Perth, Western Australia, similar sort of feeling, but I guess at least we're closer to Asia by air.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:18 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
The US the largest Western first world nation, its nearly 6x the population of the UK, and you can get there faster from NZ, but we are arguing semantics. NZ is faster to North America including Canada, I believe faster to South America, Mexico etc.

Australia is every bit as isolated as NZ AND that's if we were talking about 1800's lol. As it turns out this is the year 2014 the age of jet travel and modern communications, neither Aus or NZ are isolated any more.
Oh come on, but just as many Kiwis still go to the UK...but it's obvious, NZ is just more isolated than Australia...even the advantage going to the US isn't much since you guys are further SOUTH. 1 hour 20 minutes isn't going to make a big difference on a 13 hour flight. Whereas it's 3 hours going anywhere west. Bangkok is considered close to most Australians yet for Kiwis it's a 12 hour flight. 12 hours for cripe's sake! That's almost like London to Singapore!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
What is interesting countries like the US have allowed wealth distribution gaps to grow SO large it's not in the top 10 in this....
Apparently, you didn't even bother to READ THE ARTICLE. As the U.S. ranked #6.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:08 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Apparently, you didn't even bother to READ THE ARTICLE. As the U.S. ranked #6.

"But there is a considerable gap between the richest and poorest – the top 20% of the population earn approximately eight times as much as the bottom 20%."

My comment was around wealth distribution in the US, its pretty well established amongst economists, you can likely google hundreds of links yourself.

United States Is Now the Most Unequal of All Advanced Economies | Eric Zuesse

The OECD better Life Index has been discussed here before and was a good attempt at understanding the true quality of life between countries along with the HDI index. Neither go far enough but I admire both as they are pretty much pioneers leading up to the World Social Progress Index.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Of course everyone knows that the best places to live are those where feijoas will grow in your backyard.

Guess what, I found Feijoa bushes at a local nursery this weekend! Well stoked!

I've planted them next to my lemon trees. I'll post some photos when they come into flower.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Yeah, great QOL in the US if you have a lot of money. For everyone else it's long hours at work for not a lot of reward.

People in the US are generally really open and friendly (a lot more so than Oz) but can also be really uptight culturally . . . and then there's the politics.

Overall it's an OK place but not really where I want my kids to grow up.

Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM

Where's your ideal place, if you didn't have to worry about working, money etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand