Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:56 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Q: Why do I have to fund your pension?

I think there is the notion that the individual has paid taxes their working life, and this is the benefit. Not so much the belief that those currently working are funding it, but yeah I get what you mean.

This, at the least is an idea... that isn't just "we are living longer so hey! work longer!" This work until 70 idea is a short sighted plan and doesn't really factor in variables, some of which that have been mentioned here.

I am not sure how many people, today - have enough in their super to withdraw, live off and then not need pension at some point. We're not really at that stage where workers have been able to put enough into super...
Exactly and if there is a crash like in the 90's a lot of it will disappear as happened to many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Well, depends on how much you enjoy your job, but philosophically, is a life of constant toil worth it? I think unless there's something to look forward to afterwards, doing a job you don't enjoy just to perpetuate the cycle seems rather pointless, unless the job is really helping people/meaningful in itself.

Honestly, I'd rather die young than spend 50 years slogging away.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:28 PM

359 posts, read 658,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcard342 View Post
So you would be happy if your taxes were doubled to pay for this? Do you think no one has to pay for this stuff?
Happy for the gst to be trebled. Income tax no.

We are doing far to much work. The species could survive by slowing its self down big time.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:32 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Exactly and if there is a crash like in the 90's a lot of it will disappear as happened to many people.
Even the recent GFC, some of those took a hit

I remember the 90's recession clearly. Horrible times, and people were really hit for 6 - some took over a decade to recover, and some haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, depends on how much you enjoy your job, but philosophically, is a life of constant toil worth it? I think unless there's something to look forward to afterwards, doing a job you don't enjoy just to perpetuate the cycle seems rather pointless, unless the job is really helping people/meaningful in itself.

Honestly, I'd rather die young than spend 50 years slogging away.
I'd rather see plans of encouraging those post 65/67 into volunteer work (and yeah, get the pension) -- or consulting on an industry -- not always being forced out OR forced to keep working. I just think its simplistic, and doesn't fit all...as Cushla said, ageism is a BIG issue already.

I also wonder what message it sends to trades/labourers - why would you enter a profession you know that you won't be able to finish in....

Old 05-04-2014, 07:05 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Even the recent GFC, some of those took a hit

I remember the 90's recession clearly. Horrible times, and people were really hit for 6 - some took over a decade to recover, and some haven't.

I'd rather see plans of encouraging those post 65/67 into volunteer work (and yeah, get the pension) -- or consulting on an industry -- not always being forced out OR forced to keep working. I just think its simplistic, and doesn't fit all...as Cushla said, ageism is a BIG issue already.

I also wonder what message it sends to trades/labourers - why would you enter a profession you know that you won't be able to finish in....
Yes, if they are able...I mean many people DO want to keep busy, even if not in a paid profession, after retirement or as long as they can, instead of just sitting home, or playing bowls or bridge or something all day. I think we should all have a 4 day working week with one day mandatory volunteering/community service personally.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM

4,215 posts, read 4,884,241 times
Quote:
Q: Why do I have to fund your pension?

I think there is the notion that the individual has paid taxes their working life, and this is the benefit. Not so much the belief that those currently working are funding it, but yeah I get what you mean.
But you don't pay taxes in order to fund your own retirement. You pay taxes to fund current consumption, the roads, hospitals, schools, and pensions of those who are retired. I appreciate the social contract of someone paying taxes and expecting to be looked after in retirement, but I don't accept that paying taxes somehow lessens the burden of future taxpayers in providing for an individuals retirement, nor does it create an obligation on them.

Quote:
This, at the least is an idea... that isn't just "we are living longer so hey! work longer!" This work until 70 idea is a short sighted plan and doesn't really factor in variables, some of which that have been mentioned here.
But why not work longer? The majority of people are fit and able enough to continue working until they're 70. Certainly, I'd rather be 70 today than 50 a few decades ago when you were even money not to even make retirement age. That was working until the day you die. Where does the line get drawn, the median life expectancy continues to rise, does that mean we could have a funding obligation that extends out 30 or 35 years? Just think of the raw numbers for a moment. It basically takes the median taxpayer a whole year to provide the income to a retiree. So the kid coming out of university will be paying someone's pension until they are 50. It doesn't seem at all short sighted, fewer taxpayers and more retirees. You can't just shake the money tree.

Aside from that, people have the opportunity to save and provide at least partial funding for their own retirement. I'm not talking about millionaires but plenty of people on modest incomes manage to do it. Of course they're not the sorts who have to buy the latest flat panel TV once a year. For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone on the median wage or above would be considering becoming a pensioner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera
I'd rather see plans of encouraging those post 65/67 into volunteer work (and yeah, get the pension)
So turn someone from a taxpayer into a welfare recepient while still "working"? What's the net change in revenue there for the govt? About $50k/year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera
As I asked before, a tradie who knows they will be done by 50 doesn't really see much difference between a pension at 65 and one at 70. In any event, most people do not work as tradespeople, most work in cushy desk jobs.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Let's wait 21 years until it actually happens, then find out how out if whack we are.
Still has to get through the Senate. ALP wanted a longer time frame. Wait and see.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am directly affected by this, but are not all that worried. My mum and dad have been pushing it on me for decades that I will never get an aged pension, I have been topping up my super beyond the standard rate for years.

The thought of Catching a horrible disease like dementia worries me a lot more.
Although you can expect a lot of changes as to when you will be able to draw on your super as well. The present over generous system especially serving the rich is unsustainable.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
But you don't pay taxes in order to fund your own retirement. You pay taxes to fund current consumption, the roads, hospitals, schools, and pensions of those who are retired. I appreciate the social contract of someone paying taxes and expecting to be looked after in retirement, but I don't accept that paying taxes somehow lessens the burden of future taxpayers in providing for an individuals retirement, nor does it create an obligation on them.

But why not work longer? The majority of people are fit and able enough to continue working until they're 70. Certainly, I'd rather be 70 today than 50 a few decades ago when you were even money not to even make retirement age. That was working until the day you die. Where does the line get drawn, the median life expectancy continues to rise, does that mean we could have a funding obligation that extends out 30 or 35 years? Just think of the raw numbers for a moment. It basically takes the median taxpayer a whole year to provide the income to a retiree. So the kid coming out of university will be paying someone's pension until they are 50. It doesn't seem at all short sighted, fewer taxpayers and more retirees. You can't just shake the money tree.

Aside from that, people have the opportunity to save and provide at least partial funding for their own retirement. I'm not talking about millionaires but plenty of people on modest incomes manage to do it. Of course they're not the sorts who have to buy the latest flat panel TV once a year. For the life of me I can't imagine why anyone on the median wage or above would be considering becoming a pensioner.

So turn someone from a taxpayer into a welfare recepient while still "working"? What's the net change in revenue there for the govt? About $50k/year?

As I asked before, a tradie who knows they will be done by 50 doesn't really see much difference between a pension at 65 and one at 70. In any event, most people do not work as tradespeople, most work in cushy desk jobs.
A considerable difference at that stage of life. Five years nearer to the grave for one. While some may find there work the key to their existence others certainly don't.
In fact why not decrease full time work at an earlier age to enable younger folk to get into position? Sounds very regressive to me.

You can be assured most those advocating such a stance are either in positions of power, as such others do the work for them or are unaffected by the proposed changes.

Life is so much more than work. A world ruled by bean counters never likely to be a joyous place.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, if they are able...I mean many people DO want to keep busy, even if not in a paid profession, after retirement or as long as they can, instead of just sitting home, or playing bowls or bridge or something all day. I think we should all have a 4 day working week with one day mandatory volunteering/community service personally.
Who could live on four days though? Surely life outside of work could be more interesting than purely bowels or bridge? Or is it the closed nature of Australian society that can make life apparently so dull outside of work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand