Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
There is LOTS of information on their sites - for NZ, look at the Migrant Worker section. I found this in 2 minutes:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

Skills wanted
In New Zealand, we are*experiencing a skill shortage across our labour market. We want to recruit people into*certain industries, all over New Zealand.
Industries which have a strong demand for skilled people include:
• Education
• Health and medical groups
• Information and communications technology
• Agriculture and farming
• Engineering
• Trades.

For Australia:

http://www.immi.gov.au/

Visas and Immigration

Workers/Migrants

General skilled Migration program

You'll need to spend a day or so digging around their websites, but the information is there and is pretty clear. New Zealand has a points system - for age, health, language, education and anything else they deem desirable. If you manage to reach a certain number of points, they will issue an invitation. All the links were there on the front page.

Good Luck.

If you like hot weather though, Australia might be a better fit.
Australia also uses a points system - there are special sets of skills which get extra points and as an earlier poster said it is general in the trades area that Australia has the need. They will change the list every now and then. There are a bunch of different kinds of visas like the US, work visas, immigrant visas etc.

As for couples - the answer is that Australia recognises de facto couples and will allow dependent spouses to be on the same immigration application. But that will usually increase the points total you need to qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 01:17 PM

106 posts, read 391,808 times
thanks so much everyone! i'll look into everything!

Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM

137 posts, read 818,596 times
If you can't find what you're looking for on the net, I would try to make a quick call or send an email to an immigration attorney/solicitor in New Zealand/Australia as they both do have their differences. They could tell you straight away what they require, what your options are, and how many different ways you could enter the country.

Once upon a time you could immigrate to New Zealand on the entreprenurial(sp) status. If you had something like 750,000 NZ dollars, a degree & a plan, you were in (that was about 15 years ago). We found Australian Immigration more difficult and hubby was Canadian, me American. At any rate....well worth a phone call.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM

718 posts, read 2,361,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
Does anyone know the process of immigrating to Australia or New Zealand from the States? I couldn't find much info out there for people who aren't in a student program of sorts. I wonder how difficult it is to be admitted and what kind of reception you receive once there.
I do not know if you ever found your answer or not, but we went through the procedure to relocate to NZ last year so maybe this will help. All of the information is on the NZ immigration website.

First you have to fill out an Expression of Interest. We started this process with a lawyer while in New Zealand. You are basically awarded points based on age, education, professional experiences, etc. I believe you can also have a valid job offer and apply that was as well. From what I recall, this step did cost money.

The NZ office of Immigration in England processes all the applications from the US. If you have enough to offer the country, the send you a huge packet and offer you a chance to apply for residency. This application consists of health screenings (physicals for every member of the family, bloodwork and chest xrays), background checks (you have to send in fingerprints to the FBI to get a copy of your criminal background history), list any and all family members who may or may not want to immigrate one day and offer proof of your job offer and ability to earn a living in NZ. I know this step costs money too!

Then sit back and wait!

Old 12-30-2007, 09:28 PM

29 posts, read 178,252 times
I don't know much about immigrating there. But if you're under 30 - you're eligible for a 'WHV' (working holiday visa) for New Zealand, allowing you to work out there for up to a year.

You may not like it there, afterall. Better to test the water beforehand..

Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Of-Wanderlust View Post
I don't know much about immigrating there. But if you're under 30 - you're eligible for a 'WHV' (working holiday visa) for New Zealand, allowing you to work out there for up to a year.

You may not like it there, afterall. Better to test the water beforehand..
Wow, I never knew about this. This is very good to know. Thanks for the info!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:00 PM

24 posts, read 66,971 times
Default As a New Zealander

I would recommend Australia, better standard of living, better weather, less racism, and probably more opportunity. 40,000 kiwis moved to Ozzie last year alone to stay, not just visit. thats equivalent to a lot of our small cities packing up and moving,

Down side is they have snakes and other crawlies that NZ doesn't have. they also have huge bush fires. we have to much rain for that...

Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,714 times
Unfortunately, I don't know much about the immigration side of things but if you want a very 'desirable' place to live with a lot of work for trade skills, and possibly biology/chemistry with some luck, I wouldn't look past the Mid North Coast. The weather is beautiful all year round (further north like Queensland is too hot and muggy for me), there are beaches and rainforest within minutes of each other, the schools are great, and the cost of living is medium to low depending on what you're accustomed to, the are some great restaurants, nightlife and a vibrant art scene (this depends on what part of MNC you go to) but I have lived in this area for half my life and my family has been here for 4 decades and I think it's perfect!

Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 PM

8 posts, read 24,674 times
Default Moving from US to Australia

Yes it is very difficult to migrate to Australia (unless you go on a temporary visa ie. student) as they have very strict requirements. I am an Aussie and just went through this immigration hassle for my American hubby. We are moving to Australia soon and he went through all the paperwork/medicals etc. just recently. There is a (Australian) Dept of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs located in Washington, DC and I suggest you go on their site and read very carefully what immigration catagory you fall under....I dont mean to scare you but it is a giant hassle but well well well worth it when you get through. The Aussies are the most friendly and down to earth people anywhere and I miss home so much...dont get me wrong, America is a nice place but my heart will always be in Australia....hope I helped!

Pene

Old 01-09-2008, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 24,674 times
ps. Australia is desperate for educated and skilled labor....mostly Medical Doctors/Nurses/School teachers but also welders/air con techs etc....there is an ability to make huge amounts of money there too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand