Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

How about Auckland (or another New Zealand city ) vs. Sydney and Melbourne for my snowbird situation? How would you compare & contrast? I checked average temperatures and New Zealand weather looks very pleasant November to April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 05:30 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
Well, I'm not sure about the cost of living now in NZ, but Melbourne and Sydney are very expensive even with the more favorable exchange rates. Auckland is very pleasant and walkable only in parts. The beaches are not quite as accessible but a car would help. I loved Wellington when I was there. Nice vibe, very walkable CBD, hilly, breezy, green, smallish., lively .There is a beach in town near the CBD but generally you'd have to get out of the city to find a good one.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:46 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,636 times
But if you settle on Australia, think also of smaller cities like Newcastle or Port Macquarie. Maybe not cosmopolitan enough for you but cheaper, beachy, and interesting. Newcastle is a comer but it can seem gritty in parts. But beautiful in-town beaches. Not too far really from Sydney.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Thanks ABQSunseeker for the helpful insight. I keep hearing good things about Wellington. I think Wellington is slightly cooler in summer than Auckland? I would like to check out some smaller towns in Australia too.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:02 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Don't go to Wellington. It's a tiny city with quite poor weather. It is much better to just visit Wellington. Also you should try to visit Queenstown, which is a beautiful mountain city.

If you want to go to New Zealand, then go to Auckland. Auckland is by far the biggest city, has a lot of good places to eat, there is plenty of nightlife, has several beaches, and it is very diverse.

You should be able to find a studio for 300 NZD a week, close to the city centre.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 PM

300 a week NZD for a furnished studio in Auckland sounds really cheap. If I'm doing the exchange right that is only $213 USD a week or $852/mo? How would you compare and contrast Auckland vs. Syndney or Melbourne for someone staying for a few mos in summer? Do you need a car in Auckland? Is Auckland lower cost of living than Sydney or Melbourne?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:02 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,070,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
300 a week NZD for a furnished studio in Auckland sounds really cheap.
Auckland is cheaper than the big cities in Australia, but of course what you get, depends on how much you are willing to pay.

To summarize
200-250 NZD: This will give you a flat in a shared enviroment. If you don't know anyone, then I would reccomend this option.
300-350 NZD: This will give you a studio outside the city centre or a bad studio in the city centre.
400-450: NZD: This will give you a nice studio in the city centre or a tiny house outside the city centre.

Quote:
If I'm doing the exchange right that is only $213 USD a week or $852/mo? How would you compare and contrast Auckland vs. Syndney or Melbourne for someone staying for a few mos in summer? Do you need a car in Auckland? Is Auckland lower cost of living than Sydney or Melbourne?
I have lived in Auckland, and I have visited Sydney. I liked Auckland better, it feels like it has more life. Auckland has more stable temperatures, and less heatwaves like Sydney does. Also, I love Auckland resturants, because it is so diverse and cheap. For 10-15 bucks you can get a nice meal.

You don't need a car, Auckland has a train and a bus system that will let you go pretty much everywhere. What you do need is the ability to drive a car, because you can't just visit Auckland. To see the rest of New Zealand, you will need to rent a car.

Luckily renting a car is pretty cheap too. You should be able to rent a car for 20 NZD a day.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Auckland is cheaper than the big cities in Australia, but of course what you get, depends on how much you are willing to pay.

To summarize
200-250 NZD: This will give you a flat in a shared enviroment. If you don't know anyone, then I would reccomend this option.
300-350 NZD: This will give you a studio outside the city centre or a bad studio in the city centre.
400-450: NZD: This will give you a nice studio in the city centre or a tiny house outside the city centre.

I have lived in Auckland, and I have visited Sydney. I liked Auckland better, it feels like it has more life. Auckland has more stable temperatures, and less heatwaves like Sydney does. Also, I love Auckland resturants, because it is so diverse and cheap. For 10-15 bucks you can get a nice meal.

You don't need a car, Auckland has a train and a bus system that will let you go pretty much everywhere. What you do need is the ability to drive a car, because you can't just visit Auckland. To see the rest of New Zealand, you will need to rent a car.

Luckily renting a car is pretty cheap too. You should be able to rent a car for 20 NZD a day.
Excellent information Camlon. Auckland sounds really good for what I want to do for a few months during the worst of the Seattle, WA North American winter (Nov-March). Thanks so much for taking the time to answer I really appreciate it Likely this coming USA winter (NZ and Aus summer) I will check out both NZ and Aus and see what I like.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,768,301 times
If you can afford it I'd go Sydney all the way for beach plus big city amenities.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:36 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
The weather in Auckland was gorgeous when I visited but my impression from others is that it can be rainy and overcast much of the time, even in summer, at least compared to, say, Sydney. Is this the case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand