Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

I am also from the USA and would like to gain more information about this "Holiday Working Visa"

I am a 23 year old male, no college education and i am not currently in college, just a young working adult. Me and my girlfriend love to travel and explore together and would love to save up some money and take a holiday out to Australia and land a simple job and explore on our days off.

What are our options for jobs? could i apply for a fast food, gas station or a retail job? i have customer service experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 09:11 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I am also from the USA and would like to gain more information about this "Holiday Working Visa"

I am a 23 year old male, no college education and i am not currently in college, just a young working adult. Me and my girlfriend love to travel and explore together and would love to save up some money and take a holiday out to Australia and land a simple job and explore on our days off.

What are our options for jobs? could i apply for a fast food, gas station or a retail job? i have customer service experience.
All your questions answered.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/462-

Old 01-02-2017, 02:36 AM

12 posts, read 11,798 times
A friend of mine who wanted to see and explore more of this great country tried the working visa way 2 years ago.
She initially only wanted to work a few months here and there on some farms, you know picking fruit, packing or whatever comes along.
I recommended against it as the housing and options for transport to anywhere with action are mostly sub standard for western terms.
Instead I suggested to first look on some websites for jobs to see what is available where that would actually fit her skills.
Being fluent in three languages I said the most obvious choice would be somewhere with tourists, like a holiday park or so.
She took her time, contacted several "employers" and sent out some resumes as well.
Her first job was what made way for the rest, 6 weeks at a tourist office in the Sydney airport.
From there it was a few weeks in a luxury resort, 2 months of outback travel and translating for tourists finnished by 3 months in a nursing home for old nuns here in Melbourne.
All up she made enough money to finance the next trip, this time to south america...

I think it really comes down to knowing your options and skills so you sell yourself for the max price possible.
She was offered full support from this luxury resort to stay down here and have a secure job for years but she declined stating she is too young to settle LOL
The only thing "shady" during her time here was in the nursing home.
Officially not covered by the visa are things like caring for and supporting old people.
So it was agreed to have her as a translater and entertainer showing the old girls some new games.
She also had a lot of contact with other holiday workers she found in forums and they often only managed to scrape by but struggled to make enough money to go anywhere decent.
These guys relied on word of mouth and advertising in newpapers or websites to find jobs for holiday workers.
Often paid less than 18 bucks per hour to work in the middle of nowhere with 30+ km to the next town.
If you have any half decent skills do some homework first, look up possible jobs even if they are not advertised for the later time you want to travel.
Making you available by sending a resume and maybe even some references in english can make things much easier in the long run.
Plan ahead and have alternatives available.
Seek out several employers in the same town for example.
You want to be able to spend your holidays working at a decent wage and if possible with enough hours to not just make a living but also to put some money aside.
Enjoy your stay, work hard for some time, relax hard for some more time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand