Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times

Advertisements

This is not a question of which is "better" (it's a matter of personal preference) but it would be interesting to discuss how the two main cities of Australia differ. They are also remarkably close in population and it's interesting that Melbourne was bigger first, then surpassed by Sydney (I think around 1900 or so), but then Melbourne began to close the gap again in the postwar years, but then Sydney grew faster again but now it's slowed down and Melbourne may be poised to overtake it according to some estimates I've seen.

Here are some of the perceived differences I can think of:

Ethnic diversity: Melbourne has more Europeans (largest Italian, Greek and Jewish populations in Australia), Sydney has more Asians.

Economy and role in the country: Sydney I presume is a bit wealthier. Sydney is the financial and media capital. Melbourne is the intellectual capital.

Politics: Melbourne is somewhat more left-leaning I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:31 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,136 times
Never been to both but just want to correct you on something.

Jews who look European and speak Yiddish are called Ashkenazi.

While there are Jews who are descendants from Spain or Portugal (Sephardi) who moved to North Africa or Latin America when the Spanish monarchy kicked them out in late 15th century. And they speak Ladino (Spanish mixed with Hebrew).

While Mizrahi Jews are those who hailed from the Middle East.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,950,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
This is not a question of which is "better" (it's a matter of personal preference) but it would be interesting to discuss how the two main cities of Australia differ. They are also remarkably close in population and it's interesting that Melbourne was bigger first, then surpassed by Sydney (I think around 1900 or so), but then Melbourne began to close the gap again in the postwar years, but then Sydney grew faster again but now it's slowed down and Melbourne may be poised to overtake it according to some estimates I've seen.

Here are some of the perceived differences I can think of:

Ethnic diversity: Melbourne has more Europeans (largest Italian, Greek and Jewish populations in Australia), Sydney has more Asians.

Economy and role in the country: Sydney I presume is a bit wealthier. Sydney is the financial and media capital. Melbourne is the intellectual capital.

Politics: Melbourne is somewhat more left-leaning I believe.
First point is correct although we have about 7 billion Asians too.

Second point is definitely correct. We're way more intellectual

And we're very left-leaning, Sydney seems more centrist i.e. equal amounts of Labor/Liberal voters.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:35 AM

284 posts, read 330,785 times
Just on population, Sydney was Australia's first point of European settlement and in those early days it was Sydney that was a bit larger than Melbourne. Then by the 1850s when gold was discovered in the state of Victoria, people flocked to the state and Melbourne became the centre of the gold rush, so consequently it boomed during that period and surpassed Sydney. I've heard some claims that Melbourne was the second largest city in the Commonwealth during that time behind only London but I'm not sure how legit that is. But as the gold rush waned Melbourne's growth slowed and by the early 1900s Sydney overtook it to become the largest city again. Since then Sydney has maintained a slight lead over Melbourne (albeit not a comfortable one, the gap has always been small and sometimes Sydney grew faster while at other times Melbourne grew faster).

During more recent times Melbourne has been growing a bit faster than Sydney. What basically happened was that after the 2000 Olympics the NSW state government seemed to have thought that Sydney was perfect, everything was fine and adopted a rather anti-growth policy. The premier declared in his own words that "Sydney is full" and consequently investment in the city and population growth dwindled. At the same time Melbourne was making strides in improving their city, reinventing its image, luring events and encouraging growth.

In recent years however Sydney would seem to have picked itself back up. The attitude towards growth has noticeably changed, construction activity has risen dramatically, there's a huge backlog of infrastructure projects and it now has the strongest performing economy in the country. Population growth has picked up as well and currently it's around 10K/year behind Melbourne (85K vs 95K/year). The overall population is around 400K larger so if this maintains then Melbourne will overtake Sydney some time in the 2050s. Historically though projections have been rather inaccurate since they change constantly, and given the current situation we'll have to watch what happens in the future. At the moment probably the biggest deterrent to population growth in Sydney is housing affordability (iirc the average home price has recently passed the million dollar mark and Melbourne is comparatively a bargain). We'll have to see how Sydney tackles this issue but whatever happens and as history has shown, both cities are likely to be close in terms of population for a long time to come.

Interesting times ahead

Last edited by ciTydude123; 09-22-2015 at 07:06 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 10:30 AM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Never been to both but just want to correct you on something.

Jews who look European and speak Yiddish are called Ashkenazi.

While there are Jews who are descendants from Spain or Portugal (Sephardi) who moved to North Africa or Latin America when the Spanish monarchy kicked them out in late 15th century. And they speak Ladino (Spanish mixed with Hebrew).

While Mizrahi Jews are those who hailed from the Middle East.
The vast majority of Australian Jews are Ashkenazi.

Old 10-12-2015, 12:46 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Which city has the hottest females
On a serious note. Both Sydney and Melbourne are probably on my top 10 cities i've been.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:35 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
First point is correct although we have about 7 billion Asians too.
7 billion Asians ? ? ?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:13 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
7 billion Asians ? ? ?
It's obviously a typo, because we all know the total global population is a total of 7 billion.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:57 PM

27 posts, read 28,896 times
What they mean is that Sydney is basically Asian now. Most whites have moved to Queensland. Official figures don't reflect what's on the ground; many of those Asians are born there and are counted as 'Australian' . Not going to debate what is/isnt Australian; The Left can pretend a man in a turban is or a woman in a hijab is Aussie if they like.

I'll just leave that there.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
It's obviously a typo, because we all know the total global population is a total of 7 billion.
I think its more of an exaggeration, than a typo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical1987 View Post
What they mean is that Sydney is basically Asian now. Most whites have moved to Queensland. Official figures don't reflect what's on the ground; many of those Asians are born there and are counted as 'Australian' . Not going to debate what is/isnt Australian; The Left can pretend a man in a turban is or a woman in a hijab is Aussie if they like.

I'll just leave that there.
Oh, because if I put on a Hijab, I'm automatically no longer Australian.

Last edited by artemis agrotera; 10-25-2015 at 11:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand