Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 11:38 AM

910 posts, read 361,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
https://www.bluekanu.co.nz/wp-conten...u-june2021.pdf

https://www.boardwalkqueenstown.nz/w...tember2021.pdf

https://www.flamegrill.co.nz/library...mber2020lr.pdf

Here are some interesting menus I found from Queenstown restaurants.

We are hoping to get over there next year, if the borders look like reopening and staying open.
Makes me very hungry reading those menu's, as I have a huge appetite. The prices though, are absolutely terrifying! I think Australia, and New Zealand probably have less cheap quality food than America. But that is what I like about America, if you want to fill up on a lot of cheap food one day you can. The next day you can eat a meal, like in your menu's, but still at less cost. When I was in Australia, I didn't notice places like our American Diners, where you could go, drink coffee, and get stuffed at 3am in the morning, after the bars closed. The menu might not be the Ritz, but it is 30 pages long, and you can order any type of meal. When you are drunk, it all tastes good!

Last edited by vindag; 09-25-2021 at 12:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 12:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,519,670 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yum. I will keep track of them for a potential trip.

I cannot remember if we ate a lot of lamb on our last trip. Would expect to find a lot on the menus in NZ but then again, maybe everyone eats a lot at home. Like I did here as a child. Monday was roast lamb, Tuesday lamb chops, Wednesday lamb casserole, Thursday lamb cutlets. Longed for Friday Chinese restaurant, where my father would invariably order, yet again, lamb cutlets. I truly did not cook lamb for about five years when I left home. But love it now.

Joe, any idea when we might expect an opening up for tourists? We are living in hope of this time next year.
There does seem to be talk of things opening up by the first half of next year.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:05 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,275,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
Makes me very hungry reading those menu's, as I have a huge appetite. The prices though, are absolutely terrifying! I think Australia, and New Zealand probably have less cheap quality food than America. But that is what I like about America, if you want to fill up on a lot of cheap food one day you can. The next day you can eat a meal, like in your menu's, but still at less cost. When I was in Australia, I didn't notice places like our American Diners, where you could go, drink coffee, and get stuffed at 3am in the morning, after the bars closed. The menu might not be the Ritz, but it is 30 pages long, and you can order any type of meal. When you are drunk, it all tastes good!
Yes we did find the food expensive in NZ when we were there a few years ago. But very high quality. If you convert the prices and know that you need not tip, it improves.

No we don’t have all night diners here. One reason is that restaurant staff are quite highly paid which makes it uneconomic.

Did you get to any licensed clubs in Sydney? We typically eat at places like this one, in the suburbs, rather than at expensive licences restaurants in the city.

http://clubcronulla.com.au/wp-conten..._menu_2020.pdf

Let’s face it, most countries have poor quality overpriced tourist food. We have had appalling food in Venice in Italy, as an example. We found the food in Maui expensive though good.

But NZ offers wonderful scenery, very friendly people and good but somewhat expensive food to tourists.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:53 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
But you were making outlandish statements, that ALL our food has "high fructose corn syrup" in absolutely everything. That is your exact words. All Americans are going to call you out on that, because it simply is not true.
Do they teach hyperbole in America? Jesus Christ.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:20 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,827,535 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yum. I will keep track of them for a potential trip.

I cannot remember if we ate a lot of lamb on our last trip. Would expect to find a lot on the menus in NZ but then again, maybe everyone eats a lot at home. Like I did here as a child. Monday was roast lamb, Tuesday lamb chops, Wednesday lamb casserole, Thursday lamb cutlets. Longed for Friday Chinese restaurant, where my father would invariably order, yet again, lamb cutlets. I truly did not cook lamb for about five years when I left home. But love it now.

Joe, any idea when we might expect an opening up for tourists? We are living in hope of this time next year.
Botswana does a 9 hour slow cooked lamb. But it's not my favourite way to cook lamb because it's such a rich meat to start with. Lamb cutlets on the BBQ are amazing. With chimmichurri or even store bought tikka paste.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Botswana does a 9 hour slow cooked lamb. But it's not my favourite way to cook lamb because it's such a rich meat to start with. Lamb cutlets on the BBQ are amazing. With chimmichurri or even store bought tikka paste.
Thanks, I think we have decided to aim for about November next year for NZ. I was thinking September but it seems it could still be quite wintry weather. As it is here in Sydney today.m

Old 09-25-2021, 08:02 PM

8,392 posts, read 3,473,381 times
Quote:
Thanks, I think we have decided to aim for about November next year for NZ. I was thinking September but it seems it could still be quite wintry weather. As it is here in Sydney today.m
I agree that November should be less wintry than September in the South Island. Last time I was there - about 5 years ago - we went in late January. It was mostly comfortable, but even then there were some chilly moments!

Old 09-25-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I agree that November should be less wintry than September in the South Island. Last time I was there - about 5 years ago - we went in late January. It was mostly comfortable, but even then there were some chilly moments!
Yes, it was January years ago when we struck three weeks of near continuous rain. Someone we knew went the following three weeks and got perfect weather.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:34 AM

823 posts, read 1,048,730 times
It is a bit of a crap-shoot on rain, even in summer. There's a reason it's so green! It pays to look at whether predictions show NZ being affected by El Nino (windier but generally drier) or La Nina (rainier, although the south can be dry during La Nina). As a general rule, it becomes drier and cooler the further you go towards the temperate south (but usually hot summers) and warmer and wetter the further you go towards the sub-tropical north.

November can bring beautiful spring days, but it can also be pretty unpredictable everywhere (think driving rain, gale force winds and hail followed twenty minutes later by brilliant sunshine). The most settled weather is usually in March and April, days are still warm with cooler nights, the colors are changing, fewer tourists, kids are back in school, it's a lovely time of year to visit.

Old 11-28-2021, 02:17 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,414,786 times
Why are houses so expensive in the big cities? Is it like Canada where foreign investors are scooping everything up? What's a reasonable price for a 2 or 3BR apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand